Why do I choose Second Life over Meta?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When the idea behind Meta was introduced I was immediately like "wait a minute, this is the concept of Second Life" but I don't see anyone on social media mentioning it. Is this concept not copied from Linden Lab and what does Linden Lab think about this?

I've watched a number of videos about what Meta has to offer, inworld I get the impression that it's not finished yet and that's why I choose Second Life over Meta.

When I look at Facebook. This is a platform that has been around for years but the site is never finished and is full of bugs (for years). To give a simple example, if you own a page on Facebook you have to go to another website if you want to schedule a post this is Facebook's creator studio. Oh, you get a notification... someone has sent a DM to your page.

You click on it, this takes you to the 3rd website namely the Business admin section. You want to unlink a Facebook group from your page "ERROR".

I could go on and on about how imperfect Facebook is but my point is, Facebook has been experiencing technical problems for years. META is run by the same company, who guarantees me that META will be perfect? I look at their other products, and that gives me the answer that I shouldn't waste my money on META. This company is unreliable. Not only because of the bugs but also how they handle your private data.

Linden Lab is a frontrunner and has built up a good reputation over the years. 

I am an old avatar, Linden Lab has always been correct.

What I really wonder. What does Linden Lab think about Meta?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Second Life is pretty niche, nobody's mentioning it because SL isn't mainstream like Facebook.

Plus there's a "small" difference when it comes to registered accounts (users/bots/alts/etc).

Second Life Total users:       64,419,527 (signups)

Facebook Total users:  ~2,500,000,000 (active)

(*Facebook is one of the Big Five technology companies alongside Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Amazon.)

• Like 2

I'm a big SL fan.

I have never played Minecraft, but I understand that they are very successful and have approximately 140 million monthly active users. It offers customization and building capabilities. It has a commerce and currency system. Microsoft claims that the Metaverse is already here and it is Minecraft, among other Microsoft products.

Despite my love for SL, I think it is niche and not as commercially successful as other metaverses.

What are your thoughts? Will the future be a constellation of metaverses, or will there be one metaverse to rule them all?

Edited by Echelon Alcott
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Echelon Alcott said:

What are your thoughts? Will the future be a constellation of metaverses, or will there be one metaverse to rule them all?

Just one main one, and a couple of niche sites with almost zero traffic. The power law applies to online activities; there is always one dominant site that monopolizes all the traffic.

5 hours ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

When the idea behind Meta was introduced I was immediately like "wait a minute, this is the concept of Second Life" but I don't see anyone on social media mentioning it. Is this concept not copied from Linden Lab and what does Linden Lab think about this?

I've watched a number of videos about what Meta has to offer, inworld I get the impression that it's not finished yet and that's why I choose Second Life over Meta.

When I look at Facebook. This is a platform that has been around for years but the site is never finished and is full of bugs (for years). To give a simple example, if you own a page on Facebook you have to go to another website if you want to schedule a post this is Facebook's creator studio. Oh, you get a notification... someone has sent a DM to your page.

You click on it, this takes you to the 3rd website namely the Business admin section. You want to unlink a Facebook group from your page "ERROR".

I could go on and on about how imperfect Facebook is but my point is, Facebook has been experiencing technical problems for years. META is run by the same company, who guarantees me that META will be perfect? I look at their other products, and that gives me the answer that I shouldn't waste my money on META. This company is unreliable. Not only because of the bugs but also how they handle your private data.

Linden Lab is a frontrunner and has built up a good reputation over the years. 

I am an old avatar, Linden Lab has always been correct.

What I really wonder. What does Linden Lab think about Meta?

I like having legs, basically. For walking, bike-riding, climbing mountains, etc. And I enjoy the fact that other people do, too, especially if they put on a nice dance performance, like Aelva did today.

Legs are important in life.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

Is this concept not copied from Linden Lab and what does Linden Lab think about this?

Nobody can have a monopoly on the metaverse. Second Life and all the other metaverses are an evolution and not an invention created from nothing. In this article, the guys from Linden tell us what they think about Meta.
https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/9683-2021-second-life-year-in-review/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

Nobody can have a monopoly on the metaverse. Second Life and all the other metaverses are an evolution and not an invention created from nothing. In this article, the guys from Linden tell us what they think about Meta.
https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/9683-2021-second-life-year-in-review/

This video is very beautiful this shows in great details the magic of Second Life @Tama Suki, again thank you and happy new year

• Like 4

As I see it, Meta is already compromised and burned before it was even born and Facebook is a satellite that is moving away from Earth's orbit and will continue to move further and further away until it totally loses the signal.
The reasons why I doubt Meta's long-lasting success are these:

1 - The Facebook platform sucks. It's a redundant, clunky circus jam-packed with useless features that only serve to lag the user with intrusive advertisements and spam of all kinds. The grotesque thing is that the UI is so complex and counterintuitive that it seems to me that the average user will never really understand how to use it. I believe that Zuck's programmers are actually sadists who are taking revenge on humanity.
If they build Meta in the same way it might just look like a nightmare.
Most likely Meta after the success of the first launch (obviously it will be a success because it will be supported by a millionaire propaganda and a huge multitude of affiliated companies) will slowly become more niche than SL. The advertising customers will be thrilled, but the real target, customers and consumers, will mostly be frustrated by the difficulty in accessibility.
I think more or less the same thing happened in Second Life right? Maybe someone remembers.
This is because it can only be fully enjoyed by those who have very powerful machines and connections, it will be a kind of world for the rich.

Zuck had already tried it a few years ago with the metaverse. He had created The Cloud Party. It was practically identical to Second Life but the main difference was that it was not an open world. It was a group of islands suspended in the sky completely separated from each other, nothing to do with the Second Life open world where you can even waste days to cross an entire continent created by hundreds of sims connected to each other.
So maybe I'm wrong because he probably learned a few lessons about metaverses.
We'll see.

2 - As I understand it, it seems that Zuck is betting a lot on that kind of scam called NFT.
I recently saw that he gladly gave an interview to a famous Youtube influencer, one of those petulant motivational scoundrels who want you to believe you can get rich by copying horrible GIFs from others or creating pathetic little JPGs and putting them on some indecent market by re-producing them as NFT.
The community of artists, the real ones and those whose work is often stolen by incapable people who believe they can get rich by reselling it in the form of NFT, is already rebelling and will not end well.
So in my opinion whoever gets involved in this world will have a very bad reputation by default.
But there is more.
It is clear to many now that NFT technology is massively polluting our planet. Someone claim to create money from nothing, but in this universe it is impossible to create something from nothing, NFTs consume enormous energy and to be able to consume that type of energy they pollute the planet massively. Many have already talked about it and there are many authoritative articles that you can find around.
So it will happen that after the beating that Zuck is taking because he takes away your soul and your privacy to be able to resell it he will also be accused of destroying the planet with the sole purpose of making money.
So instead of rebuilding a new reputation by changing his name from Facebook to Meta, in my opinion he is digging his own grave.
It could be that I'm wrong, we'll see.

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

I am interested in others opinions of what niche Second Life occupies and why is it not more mainstream.  Still trying to decide if I belong here...

If I may, I believe that all metaverses are niche, even meta will be after some time.
I think the world is not quite ready for this technology yet.

Just my dumb opinion.

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

Before Facebook appeared didn't we have other social media platforms which were better?

1 hour ago, Conifer Dada said:

Before Facebook appeared didn't we have other social media platforms which were better?

Yes, there was MySpace. The one good thing about Facebook is that it sank MySpace just after Murdoch bought it, thinking that he'd bought the leader in the field. Anything that sinks Murdoch has to be good - at least for a while :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Zuck had already tried it a few years ago with the metaverse. He had created The Cloud Party. It was practically identical to Second Life but the main difference was that it was not an open world. It was a group of islands suspended in the sky completely separated from each other, nothing to do with the Second Life open world where you can even waste days to cross an entire continent created by hundreds of sims connected to each other.
So maybe I'm wrong because he probably learned a few lessons about metaverses.
We'll see.

He did no such thing. Cloud Party was developed by others and used Facebook as a source of eyeballs. Basically, it was FarmVille in that respect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

Sorry i don't understand this.

Independent developers created an application and made it accessible from Facebook because Facebook users would be a built-in audience who could publicize it to their friends. That was a very common dynamic on Facebook a few years ago; there seems to be less use of separate games/"apps" like FarmVille these days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flower Caerndow said:

I am interested in others opinions of what niche Second Life occupies and why is it not more mainstream.  Still trying to decide if I belong here...

Seks.
Because in the US violence is almost totally accepted, but even the slightest nudity is handled as a total abnormality. Look at the American tv shows. Shooting, murder a lot of violence, no problem, but a nipple or a naked butt?  Remember nipple gate?
The main reason why meta is without legs.
The seks possibilities makes it for a lot of US people embarrassing to talk about or promote SL. Hence a niche.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Seks.
Because in the US violence is almost totally accepted, but even the slightest nudity is handled as a total abnormality. Look at the American tv shows. Shooting, murder a lot of violence, no problem, but a nipple or a naked butt?  Remember nipple gate?
The seks possibilities makes it for a lot of US people embarrassing to talk about or promote SL. Hence a niche.

SEX SEX SEX......that seems to work. Why the Seks?

• Haha 1

I know LL uses filters (especially on words related to sex), so I used the Dutch word for it, to be on the safe side.
Everybody knows what that Dutch word means as well, if he/she knows English.

Edited by Sid Nagy

21 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Seks.

Moves to Europe .. gets arrested for indecent exposure.

9mnL.gif

Edited by Nick0678

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.