Meta?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So this new "Meta" Zuckerberg is talking about creating sounds like Second Life. We've all been using the term "metaverse" from the start,  in fact he sounds like Philip Rosedale 20 years ago.

My question is how will this effect Second Life? Will we be incorporated into this? Is this finally Philip Rosedale's vision becoming a reality?

Any thought?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Benson Gravois said:

So this new "Meta" Zuckerberg is talking about creating sounds like Second Life. We've all been using the term "metaverse" from the start,  in fact he sounds like Philip Rosedale 20 years ago.

My question is how will this effect Second Life? Will we be incorporated into this? Is this finally Philip Rosedale's vision becoming a reality?

Any thought?

Here ya go...

I haven't looked too far into it, but it reminds me of Sansar.  I don't think it is going to be a huge success as VR is still in its infancy and while it is fun, it is also still bulky, not very portable, and only visual.  I don't think people are going to be leaving in droves from SL, if anything perhaps it will have a few more people investigate SL as an alternative.  

• Like 2

Dunno why they didn't just call it metadata and be done with it.

Anyway, i guess not many people will be buying several pc's capable of VR, so that their kids can get on there for ten minutes till they get tired of it, or banned, whichever comes first.

• Like 2

No risk of them buying/incorporating SL. They want a squeaky clean environment where people unfortunate enough to have been born without any lower bodies can socialize, doing things like sharing their personal details with megacorporations. The "squeaky clean" is the sticking part, since SL's servers run pretty hot and sticky. That's why they'd sooner prefer we don't exist at all.

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Tech companies buy up hundreds of smaller companies every year. They destroy small competitors and acquire employees. 

Buying companies to remove their offerings from the marketplace and retain a percentage of the users is business as usual. LL did exactly this when they launched the SLM.

We're not an alternative or a competitor to FB, we're breakfast.

• Like 2

I don't expect Meta to buy companies anymore. Given current scrutiny, any acquisition would risk the whole enterprise getting diced up and the bits auctioned-off to competitors.

Otherwise, of course Zuck would simply buy the industry. It's not that big, as long as you don't get distracted by gaming. Oh, they'd love to buy Roblox as a kind of in-house content generator—the Moles of Meta—but that would just taunt big tech anti-trust oversight by Klobuchar and whichever GOP senator can still hold in the drool enough to participate in legislation.

So instead of acquisitions, they'll just have to hire away everybody who ever touched 3D graphics code. Should be very good for developers (both Linden and TPV), and very bad for SL: Labs will be lucky to retain enough staff to fix showstopper bugs.

And yet, Zuckerberg's whole "metaverse" pivot smells of smoke screen, or at best his lame entry in the billionaire space race, flown from his couch in a pair of Oculus goggles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

How can they be this bad at everything?

It reminds me of the old late night advertisements that would run for hours at a time in the US.  They just need an audience in the background, clapping and cheering at everything they say.

• Like 1

I suspect Sansar fell flat cause the VR gear is a very small niche for rich techie geeks. And even if VR becomes "cheap" who wants to be strapped in for hours? But as far as cutting into SL - yeah, don't see it , if anything, might get more people interested in virtual worlds and increase traffic for SL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I suspect Sansar fell flat cause the VR gear is a very small niche for rich techie geeks. And even if VR becomes "cheap" who wants to be strapped in for hours? But as far as cutting into SL - yeah, don't see it , if anything, might get more people interested in virtual worlds and increase traffic for SL

VR is a high engagement activity and ignoring all the potential motion sickness, can be mentally exhausting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.