I wish secondlife allowed us to have more group slots

Robotshaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm in exactly 7 groups at the moment.
I hate it when people chat a lot in groups or when merchant spam you with every new pair of socks they have made.

You do have the option to decline group notices and group chat in the main group window.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

true.. but if you don't want to see the notices and chat... what's the reason to stay in it at all?

What Silent said. I am in plenty of groups without having chat/notices enabled and its blissful silence yet the group is right there to manually check the notices. This is for paid groups that I don't want to leave.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Just out of curiosity, why DO they limit the number of groups for ANYONE.  Is it a server thing?

Probably. There are at least a couple of things that could be problems for scaling: Land permissions need to be checked by group membership, so when an avatar crosses a parcel boundary there is (or may be?) some kind of check that could take longer depending on the number of groups of which that account is a member. Probably worse is the fact that group chats track the online status of group members (although less than they used to, for larger groups), so the more groups to which accounts belong, the more stuff to check. (The first should probably scale log n, but the second may be a function of the number of group members coming and going X the number of group members needing to be notified.)

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm in exactly 7 groups at the moment.
I hate it when people chat a lot in groups or when merchant spam you with every new pair of socks they have made.

I'm in 68 of my 70.  I've turned off Group Chat for almost all of them. I've even turned off Group Notices for any that send multiple notices per day.  I just manually check the notices every few days or so.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

true.. but if you don't want to see the notices and chat... what's the reason to stay in it at all?

😬 I never knew.
Show how much interest I have in groups.  I mainly use sites like Seraphim to know whats up (not Facebook today, nor Whats app 🤪)

• Like 2

Pro tip: when I have a question, I join this 30,000-member group and ask it there. I usually get an answer promptly. And then I leave the group again. Not a very social thing to do, but if I stay in that group, I get constantly bombarded with distracting and mostly non-substantial IMs. I could turn IMs off for that particular group, but in essence that's no different from just leaving it and save some group space.

As a result of this strategy, I'm currently in about 12 groups, in some just for nostalgic reasons. So this strategy clearly works all too well.

I do think that if I am going to mute the notifications of a group. normally i would tend to leave those ones to make room for something else. I do sometimes however worry when I leave groups because some people can get upset when you leave their group. I had it again earlier on I left a group and I got questioned about why I left it. Some people they don't seem to think about the limited amount of group spaces we get.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robotshaz said:

I do think that if I am going to mute the notifications of a group. normally i would tend to leave those ones to make room for something else. I do sometimes however worry when I leave groups because some people can get upset when you leave their group. I had it again earlier on I left a group and I got questioned about why I left it. Some people they don't seem to think about the limited amount of group spaces we get.

I have a few that send out the same notice every few hours - but I don't want to leave the group because they cost quite a bit to join.  So I just turn off the delivery of the notices and manually check them every few days.

I got in the habit of checking group notices about a year or so back because I do not always get them, even for the groups that I have checked the box to receive the notices.  There are a few groups that no matter how many times I uncheck/check the box and save, I just flat out never get the notices.

11 minutes ago, Robotshaz said:

I always tend to feel bad when I have to leave a group to make room for something else. It makes me feel even worse if I get caught leaving a group and get asked about it.

Wow - I don't think I've ever been asked about leaving a group.  Someone must be monitoring things closely because there is no notice sent to anyone when you leave a group -- unless you have the Owner role, but even that I think is just a warning to you about leaving, but not sent to anyone else.

I always leave a couple of spots open on my group list for temp joins -- to grab a gift at an event & must be in a special group or maybe temp join a group for a hunt, etc...  I never stay in those groups long at all.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

it was a friend of mine she noticed straight away. I had left this new group that a friend had created and another time I left a fishing clan group and got noticed that time also. I think because my friend only just started a new group she noticed straight away that I had left it. With that group only being small.

7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you dont háve to join  .. my most used alts and  myself have 25 groups at most.. and i'm missing no single réally important message.

Same here.  I have 24 or 25 right now myself and have never needed any more.  You don't have to accept just because someone invites you join.

I would never pay a monthly subscription to SL so I make do with the basic group amount.

I always keep one spare group slot for hopping in and out of free group joins for store gifts or lucky boards etc..

My groups are either paid store groups in order to access their lucky boards and gifts, or frequently used general freebie groups, such as SLF&O. None of my groups are for social purposes and I almost always talk my way out of Friend requests, too. Those few that do get accepted are usually removed within a week due to lack of use. I never instigate a friend request.

SL is 'me' time. I desire peace and quiet so I can do my own thing. The less interruption and notifications the better. Every group join is always hidden, no chat, no group chat or whatever. All un-checked. I get any information I need externally from SL so need to be disturbed in-world.

Not everyone in SL is socially needy.

Edited by CandyCole
Inserted the word 'socially' on the last line.

3 hours ago, Robotshaz said:

I always tend to feel bad when I have to leave a group to make room for something else. It makes me feel even worse if I get caught leaving a group and get asked about it.

While i've never been questioned about leaving a group for some activities where a group is required i am regularly joining/leaving groups so i have a slot spare, I'm pretty sure the odd place or two has banned me for doing this

Yes I worry about upsetting people. It would be horrible to get banned from a place just for leaving a group. Luckily I haven't experienced being banned from a place for leaving a group but I have gone through people getting quite upset when leaving groups.

51 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

While i've never been questioned about leaving a group for some activities where a group is required i am regularly joining/leaving groups so i have a slot spare, I'm pretty sure the odd place or two has banned me for doing this

Really? I don't think I've ever been banned for joining and leaving a group. If I have I haven't noticed. I would think that would be counterproductive anyway. There are a couple of groups that I've joined not intending to stay that I've never left.  

35 minutes ago, Robotshaz said:

Yes I worry about upsetting people. It would be horrible to get banned from a place just for leaving a group. Luckily I haven't experienced being banned from a place for leaving a group but I have gone through people getting quite upset when leaving groups.

It must be the type of groups that you join then because no one has ever gotten upset at me for leaving a group - at least that I know of. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Really? I don't think I've ever been banned for joining and leaving a group.

Yes, there are inworld games and activities I sometimes use where a location will require you to be part of their group, if you are partaking in the activity you could go to several places that need a group join, you end up joining/leaving multiple groups if you don't have enough slots available. I have found myself unwelcome in one or two places having joined/left their group multiple times for the activity.

The last place I got banned from it was packed, I had show friends only on still took time to load the place. I never noticed a random IM stating everyone in the region was expected to dance so got kicked out. went back it was laggy enough my HUD didn't respond quick enough ended up banned. I suspect the location ended up banning lots of people the region was soon empty when I checked the map 

When I do fishing and lindo. Often the places ask you to join a group and if you don't the games won't work. Like with lindo.. the game won't work unless you are in group. It won't let you play the game and earn if you don't join the group. Not just that but you need group slots to join events and shops that you like as well. It is mostly clubs that tend to want you to join their group and places that have games I find. When I started sl I did think 42 group slots was enough but when you are playing games in sl and going to shopping places and clubs. There is a lot places that do want you to join their group otherwise you do get excluded from games and things.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.