New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

28 minutes ago, Julia Taifun said:

Which ones?

You can start with Belgium and the Netherlands, Japan. Looks like Brazil is getting in on the act, too.

https://archive.esportsobserver.com/brazilian-justice-loot-boxes/#:~:text=The use of loot boxes,in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Ah. Here you go: https://screenrant.com/lootbox-gambling-microtransactions-illegal-japan-china-belgium-netherlands/ 

That's from last year. There are probably more since then.

Gachas were fine in the beginning 1 object different colors.. then designers got greedy and added amped up scripts to actually set you up to spend tons more. I never played any gachas... i think they are ridiculous. There are quite a few designers I wont even buy normally from because of their gacha greed. I will buy directly what i want when i want. And i gotta say the people with the addiction to them when all is said and done and they are gone your just gonna shake your head and think wth was i thinking and doing and youll be grateful they are gone...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, connorboy26 said:

What would be the point? If there is just the same item but different colours all of the same value you would just set up a vendor.

I believe I already explained why in the post you quoted. I tire so much of people online choosing not to read.

13 hours ago, Blue Conover said:

So Gacha's gone. all that revenue is now gone. Events that were based on these, gone.

Reseller market. Gone.

all this does is help kill an already dying economy

Then maybe you should have appeared before the regulatory bodies who ruled on this when they were ruling on it years ago, and not after the fact. Also, the sky prim is not falling.

10 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Gachas are NOT gambling.

Tell that to the regulatory bodies that deemed them to be gambling. This has been going on for years, and LL making this announcement comes as exactly no surprise.

9 hours ago, innocentkay said:

This is such a load of crap, "changing regulatory climate", how about giving a REAL reason behind this?

Maybe you should read. It's a regulatory decision, because loot boxes are being banned around the world for being predatory gambling schemes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Patch Linden Reading through the new update you added (and thanks for that!), I have a slight concern about one of the points you made.

Q:  Will popular games like 7seas be impacted by this policy change?

A:  No, because the purchase of bait to go “fishing” is a purchase being made of a known item, and also the fish you catch while playing the game are non-transferable.

Does this mean that a gatcha creator could set up a token system where users would purchase a known item (tokens) in order to use them on the gatcha machine? Does it matter if the item is not transferrable?

If this is allowed, it seems like a much, much worse system than what we have now. There have been examples of exploitative token systems in SL in the past, like The Body Shop, where users had to buy 'credits' with L$, which were only sold in bundles which didn't match any of the products for sale exactly, meaning users would always have currency they spent but couldn't use for anything. They were also known for banning users without reason, preventing them from using the purchased credits.

Please don't allow a system like this to be used. It would be far worse for everyone involved. If 7Seas has to be banned as part of the gatcha ban, so be it, but I don't want to see token systems become commonplace.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

@Patch Linden Reading through the new update you added (and thanks for that!), I have a slight concern about one of the points you made.

Does this mean that a gatcha creator could set up a token system where users would purchase a known item (tokens) in order to use them on the gatcha machine? Does it matter if the item is not transferrable?

If this is allowed, it seems like a much, much worse system than what we have now. There have been examples of exploitative token systems in SL in the past, like The Body Shop, where users had to buy 'credits' with L$, which were only sold in bundles which didn't match any of the products for sale exactly, meaning users would always have currency they spent but couldn't use for anything. They were also known for banning users without reason, preventing them from using the purchased credits.

Please don't allow a system like this to be used. It would be far worse for everyone involved. If 7Seas has to be banned as part of the gatcha ban, so be it, but I don't want to see token systems become commonplace.

What do you mean? Like throwing gachas in a pond, selling baits/tokens to fish them out randomly? Makes sens, I see where you're going with that.

Edited by VergilISparda
  • Like 1

I'm glad that they are doing away with gachas.  I stopped even looking at them a long time ago because I hate the feeling of being suckered in. I'd much rather pay the going rate for an item than gamble on the chance of getting a bargain.  I imagine it was a lucrative business model since they were so prolific. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A:  No, because the purchase of bait to go “fishing” is a purchase being made of a known item, and also the fish you catch while playing the game are non-transferable.

---

Actually 7seas fishing items ARE transferable. Purchasing the "bait" is just changing the currency you use to roll for a random item...err I mean catch a fish. I know of some creators that put pieces of an outfit, furniture, decor, etc as possible catches from fishing so that would  be the same mechanic as a gacha using your bait you made a payment for to get a random result each pull...err I mean cast. AKA  "a chance-based outcome as a result of a payment"

Is this the new loophole? 7SEAS EVENTS ARE BACK! (sarcasm)

Edited by Kyle Beckett
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, VergilISparda said:

What do you mean? Like throwing gachas in a pound, selling baits/tokens to fish them out randomly? Makes sens, I see where you're going with that.

The way you described it. I'm not sure how I feel about fishing out clothes and undies from a pond. 😅

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, VergilISparda said:

What do you mean? Like throwing gachas in a pound, selling baits/tokens to fish them out randomly? Makes sens, I see where you're going with that.

No. If tokens are allowed for one kind of randomization system because you're technically buying a known thing and using it to get a random item, it wouldn't really make sense if it wasn't allowed for others.

I could see gatcha creators making HUDs where you buy a set of "tokens" for L$50 a pop and use those tokens in order to play their gatchas. Since the thing you're purchasing is known (tokens, bait, etc), would it be allowed?

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Kyle Beckett said:

---

Actually 7seas fishing items ARE transferable. Purchasing the "bait" is just changing the currency you use to roll for a random item...err I mean catch a fish. I know of some creators that put pieces of an outfit, furniture, decor, etc as possible catches from fishing so that would  be the same mechanic as a gacha using your bait you made a payment for to get a random result each pull...err I mean cast. AKA  "a chance-based outcome as a result of a payment"

Is this the new loophole? 7SEAS EVENTS ARE BACK!

If the items are transferable, they can not be going forward.  We will clarify that.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Hanjo Harvey said:

The way you described it. I'm not sure how I feel about fishing out clothes and undies from a pond. 😅

lol sorry, it's all comparison really. I know you got what I mean though. But yes it would be extremely easy to go that way, which I wouldn't recommend of course. Hey while at it, please don't forget to go to the washing machines pond! Just a bit of humour :P

3 hours ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

No. If tokens are allowed for one kind of randomization system because you're technically buying a known thing and using it to get a random item, it wouldn't really make sense if it wasn't allowed for others.

I could see gatcha creators making HUDs where you buy a set of "tokens" for L$50 a pop and use those tokens in order to play their gatchas. Since the thing you're purchasing is known (tokens, bait, etc), would it be allowed?

I see exactly what you mean though

2 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

If the items are transferable, they can not be going forward.  We will clarify that.

... And that clarifies it, thank you ! :)

Edited by VergilISparda
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hanjo Harvey said:

Wait. Do you mean to tell me that 7Seas no longer has the bikini tops and bottoms that you can reel in?

Aw man! *reag quits*

😊

Edit: Just thought I'd mention many years ago the 7Seas fish and other pets you caught were not transferable so that can just be switched back to the way it was. yippee! \o/

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elyssa Artis said:

It makes no sense that Breedables are excluded.

When you buy a breedables starter pack you pay money.
It is a random chance the trails you roll, some of them very rare.
The items are transferable.

The breedables themselves are not gachas. Some have been sold as gachas but, breedables, in and of themselves, are not gachas.

6 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

Would this mean that if an gacha event worked of a ticketing system it would be allowed?

User buys X tickets from a vendor at the entracnce to an event.

Users then play the gacha machines at Y tickets per spin.

All prizes must be no-trans.

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

The breedables themselves are not gachas. Some have been sold as gachas but, breedables, in and of themselves, are not gachas.

They don't need to be 'gacha' to fit the criteria of what a gacha system is, or else people would just call gacha machines by another name and would be golden.

The criteria is that you pay money, what you get is random chance, and it has tfr perms.

• Like 2

So it hinges on if the items are transferrable or not? That honestly seems even worse. At least with transfer items, you can stand to recoup some of your losses trying to get a certain item. I'm just seeing more problems and loopholes for this system which will end in the consumer losing out and unscrupulous people walking away with money they shouldn't have gotten.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elyssa Artis said:

They don't need to be 'gacha' to fit the criteria of what a gacha system is, or else people would just call gacha machines by another name and would be golden.

The criteria is that you pay money, what you get is random chance, and it has tfr perms.

lol Not even going to go there. You're barking up the wrong tree.

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

This depends on the system

I believe some "eggs" are random chance objects till they "hatch".

It's a random prize with a time delay.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.