Are we all being too nice ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've learned to enjoy language drift, though I'm still having some difficulty with "me and her went shopping". I never really learned to use colons, semicolons, and hyphens, so I lean on the ellipsis a lot, as you may have noticed. One new trick I enjoy (though not yet enough to do it) is the use of "because" as a preposition. It makes me grin because... efficiency.

I had one of my few successful (though frustrating) brushes with rote learning when I was in high school. We had a remarkably sadistic English teacher whose cure for poor punctuation was to give us a fat mimeographed document full of numbered rules. When she returned our graded essays, they usually included a spattering of circled numbers, each referring to a rule. To cement the rule in our minds, we were supposed to write it out 10 times. When we turned our improved essays back in, we had to include all those handwritten rules.  It was a nasty, cruel way to teach -- especially if you made the same mistake a dozen times.  On the plus side, though, it helped me learn the rules ... which I continue to flaunt to this day.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's an intriguing one.  I think this style is becoming more common these days, maybe because people are carrying their texting habits into daily speech.  Essentially, the period between "Grow" and "Up" is acting as an ellipsis, as if he were writing "Grow ... up," using the ellipsis to add emphasis to "up".  Punctuation is acting as a grammatical pause, as usual, but in a novel way.

Yes but also no.

It's a much shorter pause and a much sharper tonal delivery. Use of italicized text would have put additional tone. Same with bold or underlined text.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I had one of my few successful (though frustrating) brushes with rote learning when I was in high school. We had a remarkably sadistic English teacher whose cure for poor punctuation was to give us a fat mimeographed document full of numbered rules. When she returned our graded essays, they usually included a spattering of circled numbers, each referring to a rule. To cement the rule in our minds, we were supposed to write it out 10 times. When we turned our improved essays back in, we had to include all those handwritten rules.  It was a nasty, cruel way to teach -- especially if you made the same mistake a dozen times.  On the plus side, though, it helped me learn the rules ... which I continue to flaunt to this day.

I was taught English by a woman who tried to eat the pigeon puppet on my father's hand with the dragon puppet on hers. It was a weird, wonderful way to teach. On the side, I continue to flout the rules to this day.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They are the ones I got from this forum emotes.. It's their emotes.. They called it something other than an eggplant.. hehehe

I was amazed they left in the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate. 

Something tells me if I were to use it, I would be banned. Not suspended, banned. Someone else would probably get away with it, just not me.

Just now, Solar Legion said:

It's a much shorter pause and a much sharper tonal delivery. Use of italicized text would have put additional tone. Same with bold or underlined text.

That's a good, subtle point.  I'd argue that italicizing, underlining, and bolding -- all of which I do myself -- are separate tools, though.  They don't survive as nicely when you read the words aloud, the way that "Grow.  Up." does.  They are purely tools for formatting the written word.  The elliptical period is useful anywhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's a good, subtle point.  I'd argue that italicizing, underlining, and bolding -- all of which I do myself -- are separate tools, though.  They don't survive as nicely when you read the words aloud, the way that "Grow.  Up." does.  They are purely tools for formatting the written word.  The elliptical period is useful anywhere.

Well think of it like this, if I wanted to add a tonal emphasis it would have been on the second word as follows: "Grow. Up." The problem with doing that is that the exact tone being used ... simply does not come across here.

• Like 2

There's the subtle difference between us, Maddy, despite the fact that we were obviously separated at birth.

24 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

it helped me learn the rules ... which I continue to flaunt to this day.

but

15 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I continue to flout the rules to this day.

I'm the stick in the mud, still trying the use the rules I was taught.  You are the maverick, making new rules.  😉

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The problem with doing that is that the exact tone being used ... simply does not come across here.

Yeah, no matter how many contextual tools you use, the written word never quite captures the tone of the spoken word. The extra punctuation and formatting help, but they never tell us exactly how the writer is saying the words in her own mind.

3 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

but if you can understand why that can hurt, I don't see how you could not understand why the things I'm talking about can hurt. Small things add up. That's the whole point of what I was saying.

I'm not sure I totally understand what you're saying. Are you dyslexic you mean, and you don't like it when people believe dyslexic people are 'like children' or something?

3 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

I'm not part of a secret clique or hate campaign. I'm just feeling sad. I'm stating this directly so there's no need to read between the lines. You might not agree with me, but that doesn't mean there's something else going on here (as far as I'm concerned).

I never thought you were part of the clique. I've hardly seen any of your posts really as you don't seem to post a whole lot unless you post in threads I don't visit. In the posts I've seen I've never seen you bullying anyone.

2 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

At first I thought Luna was being condescending to Faire

Ahh, well, glad you brought that up.
Yes for sure I'm not feeling that Fairre is 'less than' me -- no condescension here.
All people have strengths and weaknesses, and hopefully we can help each other when needed, and that's really all this is in a nutshell.

In fact, I'm looking at some little pink 2 lb weights that Fairre recommended sometime back in IM, spawned from a thread long ago where we were discussing ways of improving mood (get those arms strong). Previously I was using some 10 lb weights inherited from a 6'4" brother when he moved, or should I say that previously I was damaging my back with them :(

• Thanks 1

The most ironic part of this Fairre fiasco is the unbelievable irony. I mean, there is this supposed "caring" from the Bullyomites, this "concern" about autistic people and how society disrespects and oppresses them (apparently because they think society views them as incapable in the way children can be, when in reality the most trouble autistic people have with society is others who view them as weird or rude). 
Yet here are these same people on the forum championing the plight of autistic people while treating a person who has trouble speaking clearly with some of the most utter contempt and mockery I've seen, spanning years, not caring in the least about the disadvantaged position of the person they're taunting. 

To point ... you can't actually care about a disadvantaged population in society while using your power to abuse someone in your own midst. People who abuse power don't care about disempowered/disadvantaged people -- those who sanction and even participate in power abuse are incapable of caring about the disempowered.

So really, stop with the pretension of caring about those with autism. What a farce. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, no matter how many contextual tools you use, the written word never quite captures the tone of the spoken word. The extra punctuation and formatting help, but they never tell us exactly how the writer is saying the words in her own mind.

If you write something like Up. Yours. it really doesn't need any interpretation. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The most ironic part of this Fairre fiasco is the unbelievable irony. I mean, there is this supposed "caring" from the Bullyomites, this "concern" about autistic people and how society disrespects and oppresses them (apparently because they think society views them as incapable in the way children can be, when in reality the most trouble autistic people have with society is others who view them as weird or rude). 
Yet here are these same people on the forum championing the plight of autistic people while treating a person who has trouble speaking clearly with some of the most utter contempt and mockery I've seen, spanning years, not caring in the least about the disadvantaged position of the person they're taunting. 

To point ... you can't actually care about a disadvantaged population in society while using your power to abuse someone in your own midst. People who abuse power don't care about disempowered/disadvantaged people -- those who sanction and even participate in power abuse are incapable of caring about the disempowered.

So really, stop with the pretension of caring about those with autism. What a farce. 

THIS RIGHT HERE ^^^^^^

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

At least one of the people who agreed with me this time was part of the problem recently when I commented on anti-dyslexic insults. Consider that my comment is because I've had enough of everyone doing this, rather than just one person. I don't disagree that things like reactions could be used as part of bullying, but if you can understand why that can hurt, I don't see how you could not understand why the things I'm talking about can hurt. Small things add up. That's the whole point of what I was saying.

I did not see that other thread.

There is something this forum should know.  I am dyslexic.  I think I write fairly well.  I try not to write blanket statements and I give reasons as to why I think certain things.

My Dad, as I said, to which Orwar thinks it matters nothing, was a pioneer in the field of Autistic people being able to live at home and not be institutionalized as well as kept away from society.   Thus, we, as my Dad's family, had to learn certain things, especially reactions.  The cases my Dad had were of course considered extreme if institutionalization was considered at that time the only possibility.  Parents wanted to have their children home with them and be a part of society.  One of my Dad's patient's father was my Pediatrician.  So, this is how we all were introduced.  This occurred when I was kid so it made a big impression on me - a child to be home instead of locked away somewhere else.  The child could only crawl on the ground and smell the carpet and could not speak at all.  This autistic boy was living his life through smell and smelling on the ground.  Things changed for him and he was able to stay at home with his parents and mingle with society or people or whatever that word is, even though he couldn't speak, he could smile and kiss your hand.  

I am dyslexic and it's a challenge.   I have seen many go through challenges because of my Dad's work. 

I wrote quite a few posts where I said I think this scorn laugh is over-done and I'm not saying it simply because of autistic people, and it's bringing drama into threads where I have not been so I don't know what is going on in all these other threads.  As far as mis or disinformation - people need to see their own doctor period not get medical advice from a message board.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

It adds to my "people are too nice?!" response that this birthday has been brutal on that side. Everyone hates everything and thinks all the resident-produced content is trash. This doesn't make me feel more engaged.

I enjoyed your SLB story, and nearly got something from your Hop shop until I realised I'd already got it, so it's everyone minus one, at least. :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

The most ironic part of this ... fiasco is the unbelievable irony...

The unbelievable irony is not anything to do with "bullying forumites" picking on anyone, but because you constantly bully and belittle anyone who does not buy into or agree with whatever ludicrous SJW/virtue signalling propaganda you post.

It is also not surprising that your favourite go-to insult is being chucked around again - "the evil clique" who are waging a "hate campaign" against whomever you are white knighting this time.  Do you have any idea just how stupid that sounds?  You do know that individuals are quite capable of reaching opinions that coincide with other individual's opinions.  

I did not have a dog in this fight because I chose to stay out of it, but you dragged me in by insinuating that I am in this imaginary "clique" you have by posting that youtube link implying I am part of some "in crowd" when throughout this thread I was having a bit of a dialogue with @Silent Mistwalker and posted with a laugh when I found the calls for an apology funny because we all went through that with the last person you white knighted and look how well that went!  

You really should see someone about this "evil clique" persecution complex you seem to have.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I reread the last few pages and didn't see the level of vitriol that we're being accused of.  Most of my posts were directed at Luna to clarify her statement that something was not said when in fact, it was said.  Confirmed by the person who said it, finally.

Then we're all accused of somehow not knowing what she intended to say.  I'm certainly no mind reader nor was I championing for anyone, autistic or otherwise.  

Perhaps next time, before charging in on your high horse, actually read what everyone wrote.  Whether there was an apology or not, at least own what you've said instead of denying, repeatedly, that it wasn't said.  It's what adults do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jordan Whitt said:

You really should see someone about this "evil clique" persecution complex you seem to have.

I have no persecution complex; it's just a fact that cliques tends to form in group situations, and this is a well-documented phenomenon in scholarly publications. I am simply observing and commenting on how I view those dynamics affect this particular forum. My perceptions may not always be right because, after all, I am a participant in the forum and so cannot be totally objective. But I do believe much of what I perceive is true.

So what creates an 'in-group'?  Typically it's the people who spend the most time together in the group -- those who participate the most. Often they attempt to set the rules or the boundaries for what is acceptable. I really have no problem with an in-group forming, and since they are actually participating more it only seems right they do have more of a say in what goes on in the group space. I might even be a part of the in-group myself if I deemed it a worthy one; the problem is that the in-group section of this forum in its present iteration is not worthy to wield the power they have. Why? Because they revel in excluding others far too much and are generally nasty to newcomers entering the group space; they seem to forget that this is not only the space for those who participate the most here, but is also a space for all who participate in-world and infrequently post here. The attitude I frequently witness when a newcomer enters could be summed up as "ahhh, we have a new toy to play with". Not all the time, but it's all too frequent.

Edited by Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.