What is it to be a Human?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Reposted as its own thread here because it seems that it is worthy of a warning as this was egregiously off-optic in the COVID thread.
Apologies to you all for my confusion.

In these crazy tongue-confused times, let's get back to some basics and make sure we're all on the same tablet, now.

What is a human?
an artistic interpretation

Human.
Could it be.
There was a transcription problem along the way.

Let's back up and check our references.

lu mah an (en?) -
𒇽𒈤𒀭 (𒂗)

[whom to be great (lord?) and of heaven]

Any questions?

🐍🐍🐍

Edited by Chroma Starlight

Biologically speaking I'd say "member of the species Homo sapiens", which can be determined by DNA in case of doubt.

But then I wonder, suppose other hominids had not become extinct and we were still sharing the world with Neanderthals, Denisovans and Cro-Magnons? Would they be human enough to be human? If they think as we do, and act as we do, would that mean the title of human isn't limited to a single species but a whole genus or family?

And what about the rising issue of AI? If they think as we do, and act as we do, does biology even play any part at all?

More human than human 

- Tyrell Corporation

• Like 1

This is an old philosophical question. Plato decided the definition should be 'featherless bipeds'. Then Diogenes showed up in his school and let loose a live, plucked chicken. The two didn't get along very well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

A rational, emotional, spiritual being imbued with a working conscience. 

Far from all people are rational.

Far from all people are emotional.

Far from all people are spiritual.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Far from all people are rational.

Far from all people are emotional.

Far from all people are spiritual.

Far from all people are rational seem rational.

Far from all people are emotional seem emotional.

Far from all people are spiritual appear to have spiritual lives.

Because these traits are innate and universal to all life, if they seem absent when looking at a person, then you can be certain that you have run up against the hard limits of your perspective and understanding. It is for this reason that we must not judge; all judgement is based upon appearances and yet all life is Maya, illusionary. Life itself is not superficial but instead impossibly deep, and our approach to it should be a reflection of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

So then by that definition they would not be human.

That's a fairly irrational conclusion. Are you sure you're human? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chroma Starlight said:

[...] and yet all life is Maya [...]

That's a spiritual concept. Just because a person doesn't share your spiritual beliefs doesn't mean that they aren't human.

A person who is apathic is still a human being.

A person who is a nihilist is still a human being.

A person who is comatose or catatonic is still a human being.

If the concept of humanity doesn't fit your spiritual yardstick then it's most likely your spiritual yardstick that is broken, not reality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

That's a fairly irrational conclusion. Are you sure you're human? 

It is quite rational by the definition I posited. You can argue my definition but not my conclusion based on the definition. As to the latter point, I am rational to a degree, definitely emotional, spiritual and do have a conscience, therefore by my definition, human.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

A person who is apathic is still a human being.

A person who is a nihilist is still a human being.

A person who is comatose or catatonic is still a human being.

There are those who may have become those things, but they at least started out with the capability of being rational, emotional, spiritual and with the seeds of a conscience.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
punctuation
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

That's a spiritual concept. Just because a person doesn't share your spiritual beliefs doesn't mean that they aren't human.

The reason that I do not appreciate this kind of reaction is because at no point did I ever start or intend to start to seek a way to begin to divide people into human and not-human as your speech here insinuates. Such a conclusion would be a gross misunderstanding of the thesis that I am stating here, which is that there is a universality to all life. I have not even asserted what my beliefs may be, we are simply having conversation about culture. There is no 'us' between you and I when you start doing this, and it makes me feel as if you have not listened nor have you understood me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I have not even asserted what my beliefs may be

9 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

[...] which is that there is a universality to all life.

25 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

[...] and yet all life is Maya [...]

IdenticalEdibleHaddock-small.gif

• Haha 1

"Human" is simply a biological definition -- a human skeleton is recognisably the skeleton of a human being, and not anything else that we know of.

Anything else is a discussion of what we consider important about human beings (generally live ones) and how we respond to them,  and thus a question to which there are multiple answers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Anything else is a discussion of what we consider important about human beings (generally live ones) and how we respond to them,  and thus a question to which there are multiple answers.

No, no.

Watch the pseudo-spiritual hippies solve this ancient mystery which puzzled the founders of philosophy since the dawn of civilisation. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Watch the pseudo-spiritual hippies solve this ancient mystery which puzzled the founders of philosophy since the dawn of civilisation. 

I think that you may be expressing a misunderstanding; the Bohemians that you might gesticulate toward are the same ones who have realized that the nature of the mystery is so very far above our existential pay grades that there is simply no need for us to hold a pretense or delusion that we are ever going to solve it from this limited perspective. It is a fascinating mystery, thoughts about it are perhaps important for conceiving a cosmology, which is after all like a child's adorable model description of all reality back to source, but none of that seems actually all that important, at least not when compared to the direct experience of the now, the experience of each moment of life that each of us witnesses when present.

mm22ORcUp1KIWUeQzQD3QngBa9kLFw6JNjxvAozx

• Haha 1

You really need to know who's asking, and why, too.   

I mean, if the question comes up in the context of WoW or designing an RPG of some sort (which is probably quite frequently) then that suggests certain responses that might not be appropriate in other contexts.

So, I think it helps to clarify matters by asking, in return, What specific aspects of being human would you like my advice about?

So, your very first post you reference "heaven".  If you're talking that you are human if you believe in "heaven", what is "heaven?"  What if you don't believe in "heaven"?  Does that mean you aren't human?  Who gets to decide if someone is human or not? 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.