What is it to be a Human?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

On that front, your definition may not match up with another person's definition.

It's almost as if everything in the universe isn't harmoniously connected!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Human.

Anything beyond the purely scientific definition is the realm of the subjective, belonging to Philosophers, Spiritualists and the like.

On that front, your definition may not match up with another person's definition.

It is simply not up to the scientists; the meme predates science itself.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

It's almost as if everything in the universe isn't harmoniously connected!

To veer into the territory of Philosophy et al .... If everything were such, as some might wish to believe, that would breed/engender stagnation - Harmony/Order on that magnitude is detrimental.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Philosophy is entirely fine here ... what's not is when someone takes a question like "What is it to be a Human?" and turns it into "Who gets to be defined as human".

Pardon me for being ever so literal. From the subforum description: "Second Life discussions welcome here! Please follow the community guidelines."

If one was discussing the Philosophy of "being Human" in regard to Second Life, I'd see it as fitting.

There are other, external fora for the more generalized discussions.

Further, these types of threads are almost never started with intent for a genuine discussion.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Reality doesn't care.

But reality has gone so very far out of its way to do the extraordinary, again and again. One might reasonably conclude that life itself is the most compelling evidence of this. In any event, once you step off the narrow fenced-in path that's been recently erected through Western life to forcibly meander its denizens meaninglessly from cradle to grave while extracting their value and energy every step along the way, you do begin to realize that you knew very little about life here on this Earth at all.

teman1.jpg

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Haha 2

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Pardon me for being ever so literal. From the subforum description: "Second Life discussions welcome here! Please follow the community guidelines."

If one was discussing the Philosophy of "being Human" in regard to Second Life, I'd see it as fitting.

It has been stated by Lindens that in the General Discussion area it's ok to discuss things not directly related to SL. They just don't want the political fur to fly.

• Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

Community Participation Guidelines - General Discussion Forum - Second Life Community

That's nice as well.

Philosophy, Spirituality and such are subjective.

Of course, you tip your hand with the very wording you have chosen and shown - quite clearly - that you are not looking for earnest, genuine discussion.

Do kindly stop pretending otherwise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It has been stated by Lindens that in the General Discussion area it's ok to discuss things not directly related to SL. They just don't want the political fur to fly.

Community Participation Guidelines - General Discussion Forum - Second Life Community

Again, I am being literal here. If such is their intent, the description needs an update. Or there needs to be a catch bin subforum put into place with the appropriate description.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Again, I am being literal here. If such is their intent, the description needs an update. Or there needs to be a catch bin subforum put into place with the appropriate description.

All of the long running threads here are off topic.

All of them.

Maybe just play nice ? can we try doing that ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

All of the long running threads here are off topic.

All of them.

Maybe just play nice ? can we try doing that ?

am playing nice. I'm also quite tired of pontification disguised as genuine interest in discussion.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is quite rational by the definition I posited. You can argue my definition but not my conclusion based on the definition. As to the latter point, I am rational to a degree, definitely emotional, spiritual and do have a conscience, therefore by my definition, human.

Tautology, a favored tool of Popstar Logic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8-1 Supreme Court Sides with U.S. Corporations Accused of Aiding and Abetting Child Trafficking in Ivory Coast Cocoa Plantations

MARISA SARNOFFJun 17th, 2021, 5:51 pm

In an 8-1 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that U.S. corporations Nestle and Cargill could not be sued for allegedly aiding child trafficking that occurred at cocoa plantations in the Ivory Coast.

Hoffman’s clients, six people from Mali, alleged in the Nestle v. Doe that they were trafficked as children and forced to work as slaves on plantations from which the corporations bought cocoa. They claimed the conditions under which they labored were horrific: “[T]hey worked as many as 14 hours a day, six days a week, without pay and with very little food; they were ‘beaten with whips and branches’ if they didn’t work fast enough,” according to a summary from SCOTUSblog. They said escape attempts were met with physical beatings and torture, which the other child slaves witnessed.

The alleged child slavery victims sued Nestle and Cargill, each separately, in federal court in California under the Alien Tort Statute (ATS), a centuries-old law passed during the First Congress which allows non-citizens to sue in federal court “for a tort only, committed in violation of the law of nations or a treaty of the United States.” The District Court dismissed the cases, saying the ATS could not apply because the plaintiffs’ injuries occurred overseas, and Nestle and Cargill’s involvement was considered “general corporate activity.” On appeal, the Ninth Circuit reversed and remanded, finding that the plaintiffs had successfully argued the domestic connection, because the corporations’ “major operational decisions” originated in the United States. The corporations appealed to the Supreme Court, which consolidated the cases for hourlong arguments.

Nestle and Cargill, represented by former Solicitor General and current litigator Neal Katyal, argued that corporations should not be held liable under the ATS.

Hoffman’s legal team has argued that the arrangement between the corporations and the cocoa plantations—in which the companies provided the farms with technical and financial resources, training, tools, and cash, in exchange for the exclusive right to buy cocoa—amounted to aiding and abetting child slavery. They also told the justices that the corporations “knew or should have known” that the farms were exploiting enslaved children.

Instead, Justice Clarence Thomas’s opinion said the plaintiffs’ argument improperly demanded that the ATS apply extraterritorially, and ATS didn’t apply to injuries that occurred outside the U.S. 

The alignment among the justices is somewhat surprising. Chief Justice John Roberts, and Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett all joined, at least in part, in the majority opinion, written by Justice Thomas.

(from https://lawandcrime.com/supreme-court/8-1-supreme-court-sides-with-u-s-corporations-accused-of-aiding-and-abetting-child-trafficking-in-ivory-coast-cocoa-plantations/)

image.thumb.png.13ea1273797406b2a279c8d9098fa9eb.png

image.png.619016b3333b9b008015512044d99101.png

image.thumb.png.0b9af257581830b84b5229eba753cdee.png

🐍🐍🐍

Edited by Chroma Starlight
messenger edit

25 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

What is it to be a Furry?   (Asking for a friend).

I'll bite - while chuckling a tad.

That is entirely subjective though the barest definition - shared by much of the "community" and Fandom at large - entails having an appreciation for Anthromorphic character art. Beyond that and things can get ... testy.

• Like 2

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Well that didn't take long.

It's been going on this whole time. But in this moment you can see it. Something sufficient must be done long ago, and the urgency of the crisis only grows with each passing decade.

Do you wish to stand among those whom posterity will rightly condemn as complacent and oblivious to the destruction of this Earth?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Further, these types of threads are almost never started with intent for a genuine discussion.

Regardless of what intent anyone has in starting a thread, I prefer to approach a philosophical question as if it were a genuine attempt at discussion. It's sadly true that many discussions here are derailed quickly, sometimes by cynics and sometimes simply by people who want to drop in a humorous aside. As far as I am concerned, though, big questions about who were are, what our place in the universe may be, and how we decide to make moral decisions are important enough to be fair game here. They are part of our personal search for meaning. We don't leave those questions behind as we step from Real Life to Second Life.  If anything, SL gives us a different vantage point and therefore a fresh reason for asking them. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Regardless of what intent anyone has in starting a thread, I prefer to approach a philosophical question as if it were a genuine attempt at discussion. It's sadly true that many discussions here are derailed quickly, sometimes by cynics and sometimes simply by people who want to drop in a humorous aside. As far as I am concerned, though, big questions about who were are, what our place in the universe may be, and how we decide to make moral decisions are important enough to be fair game here. They are part of our personal search for meaning. We don't leave those questions behind as we step from Real Life to Second Life.  If anything, SL gives us a different vantage point and therefore a fresh reason for asking them. 

Normally, I'd agree but not in this case.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.