Cookies

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm okay with not being tracked until I have to use the second life marketplace if I have the cookie debug disabled, i'm really not sure if that even works as far as stopping the collection of data. I'm glad the industry is talking about legislating cyber privacy. and if the uk has to ban cookies to get it down and us companies who want to do business there has to comply. Something has to be done. 

does anyone know where the second life cookies are stored on the hard drive? I searched my second life program file for the word cookie and no results. What kind of cookie is it a peanut butter one. Does it have a name? 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I'm okay with not being tracked until I have to use the second life marketplace if I have the cookie debug disabled, i'm really not sure if that even works as far as stopping the collection of data. I'm glad the industry is talking about legislating cyber privacy. and if the uk has to ban cookies to get it down and us companies who want to do business there has to comply. Something has to be done. 

does anyone know where the second life cookies are stored on the hard drive? I searched my second life program file for the word cookie and no results. What kind of cookie is it a peanut butter one. Does it have a name? 

If you are talking about the Marketplace, that is NOT connected in any way to your viewer. It's a WEB SITE and you access it with your WEB BROWSER. If you use Marketplace Redelivery, you're doing so with your WEB BROWSER.

As has been said, cookies are small pieces of code and snippets of data that are stored on YOUR LOCAL HARD DRIVE.  You can access them or delete them with your WEB BROWSER. But in the specific case you mention, I don't think it's cookies that are tracking your MP purchases. After all, LL has a record of your transactions, you can see that simply by looking at your transaction log.

If that bothers you, you need to leave SL now. Because there's no way to stop it.

• Like 2

It bothers me if I really think about it but I try not to not sure what brought on this microaggression. 

Seems like privacy is a trending topic and would be a great opportunity for someone to come up with a solution. We have cookies what else do we have that we have not idea about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

After I posted that got to thinking most browsers are installed on computer, when I installed the second life program the built in browser was included. I know where the cache file is but not sure where the cookie file/s are and if that is something that can be cleared, or by disabling it in the debug clears it, if disabled then enabled?

With Sansar I was prompted to accept their cookies to gain access to their platform after they had already been installed on my hard drive. Are they still there after I uninstalled the program? 

When I see cookies will be placed on the hard drive I wonder where exactly are the cookie/s? and what are the file names. & what exactly the Second Life cookies are used for? Do they run when the viewer is not being used? Do they collect non viewer related data? Do third parties have proprietary cookies they use as well? Has the data collected from my cookie history been sold, if so how many times and to whom and for how much?

The generic "we collect data that is not associated with your personal information yadayada" it's not going to cut it forever. Anonymous data or not they are still a virtual implant that I do not fully understand and to me that is dangerous. I would not allow anyone to implant something into my real body without knowing exactly what it does and how it works. Virtual brain implants...

I don't think cookies should be associated with hard drives. 

Open all links while inworld on your external browser.  

• Like 1

In Firestorm, you can clear the browser cache in the "Network and Files" tab of "Preferences". Then tell it to only use your default system browser in future. Set up an external browser like Firefox and you can edit settings to deal with security risks. However, that risk is not all cookies. Cookies are simply tools, like web pages are tools.

It is possible to see what cookies are doing using the instructions I gave before, but if you're not very technical, it's going to look like random nonsense to you. At some point you have to accept that you won't understand everything and not view something as inherently bad because it's outside of your area of knowledge.

• Like 5

That's what you get when clicking on a cookies thread while on your early morning train to work...it's 6:13 and I will need to have a little side stop before work now...grabbing cookies...and I will need to buy enough so I will get some too ..because  my coworkers will sense them even before I entered through the door haha  because no one can keep cookies a secret at our workplace XD *shakes tiny cookie craving fist at you all*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Paulsian said:

I'm not expecting answers but one day some body will and the everyone uses cookies it's totally fine and "normal" is not going to cut it. 

I deleted most of the cookies on my hard drive once. Then I found I couldn't log in to my Yahoo! page. I imagine the effect would be the same with SL.

Sometimes a cookie is used to collect information, but sometimes it's just there so the website will recognize you when you come back. Cookies are not always a bad thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paulsian said:

I'm not expecting answers but one day some body will and the everyone uses cookies it's totally fine and "normal" is not going to cut it

Unless you have a cookie cutter! 🤩 🍪

OK, that was awful, lol.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Cookies are not always a bad thing.

Cookies are not bad things at all. They are a standard part of internet browsing, and have been since the last century. They can't be used to track anyone across the web because only the website that stored the cookie can actually read it, and other websites can't write to it. Also, websites can't discover whose cookies you have in your computer.

The cookie is an ideal method of allowing a person to automatically log into a website after setting up a username and password. The username and password are stored on the person's hard drive by the website and, when returning to the same website, that website can read the cookie (username and password) and let the person in automatically. The website can store other data in the cookie such as what pages the person requested, but the cookie can't be used to track a person across the web.

In fact, no method exists to track a person across the web. Information can be gathered by advertising agencies, for instance, but that's not tracking in the sense of knowing where a person goes on the web. The only information gathered is the fact that the agency delivered an ad to a particular IP address (the person's computer) when the person was looking at a particular website. They can compile a profile of the person's interests by delivering ads to the same IP address when the person is in various websites. The various websites need to be customers of the agency of course. But none of that is tracking.

Cookies are good things. Fear of them is simply a lack of knowledge about them.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

I think instead of "This website wants you to accept cookies", the messages should say:

- "This website wants to track your Internet Browsing"

- "This website wants to collect your personal information for marketing purposes"

- "This website wants to use your internet browsing for targeted advertising"

- "This website wants to sell your personal information"

- "This website wants to save your computer's specific information (MAC address, etc.)"

What say you? Isn't that what Cookies are used for?

#FightMe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What say you?

i am waiting for the website which goes: You never click on any sponsored content. You turn your sound off so you never hear any popup vids. You always scroll up any banners we give you.  You never click yes you want to win a million dollars. You never want to know who are the 12 worst singers in the world, or the 25 top bands, or anything awesome like that. We pretty sure your browser set to delete all cookies when it closes.  We have totes had enough of your ignorant,  like totally totes !!! You are sooooo blocked, like forever ever !!! Annnd we gunna tell all our besties to block you as well. So there !!

and I will go: woooo! only 423 zillion websites to go before I am banhammered off the whole internets

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does marketplace work on MOAP? Does MOAP save cookies?

I was going to say "no", but I went and did a little more research on MOAP. It appears that MOAP is a sort of tiny little web browser, so perhaps it does.

Hmmmm.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It appears that MOAP is a sort of tiny little web browser,

MOAP is the viewers internal web browser projected on an inworld prim media face. I would think it does whatever the internal browser does.

While it's inworld, note that each MOAP face still is just your personal browser, not actually shared between different users, apart from the configured "homepage" URL.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.