New SecondLife.com homepage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

The teaser video didn't seem to stir much enthusiasm.  It's currently at 9,633 views, with 259 likes and 13 dislikes.  I don't know, perhaps LL's been bitten by the Eurovision bug.  Nul points from me.

Or in typical LL style, the teaser was the release, and because it didn't generate all the hype the project has now been put on a back burner.

• Like 6

I only skimmed through the video and glanced at the page .. I don't get either of them. What does the video have to do with SL at all? Why is there an elf-thing on the signup page?

SL has so much to offer, why not emphasise that rather than .. Whatever this is?

• Like 8

Just now, Amina Sopwith said:

It looks to me like a clumsy reference to Avatar...

.. Which makes no sense. Avatar, the film, and avatars in Second Life, are two very different things. An avatar is a representation of an entity (or specifically, a deity), controlled directly by those they represent. And whilst this is indeed the word being employed quite correctly in both instances, it's a bit like putting up a film poster for Dracula when you're screening Twilight, because they're both films and both have vampires in them so, close enough?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

.. Which makes no sense. Avatar, the film, and avatars in Second Life, are two very different things. An avatar is a representation of an entity (or specifically, a deity), controlled directly by those they represent. And whilst this is indeed the word being employed quite correctly in both instances, it's a bit like putting up a film poster for Dracula when you're screening Twilight, because they're both films and both have vampires in them so, close enough?

I agree. Hence the clumsiness of it...

10 minutes ago, Orwar said:

All I can think of due to the green screens and cosplay is that they are trying to emphasise the 'be what you want to be' slogan SL sometimes uses. Of course that literally makes no sense when it uses real people unless somehow they were thinking of one RL scene (say the fairy with a fairy city in the background) merging with an identical SL avatar and scene to blend the two together.

To me however it just reads as them trying to copy WoW in having their 'virtual world' become a live action movie.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Err 'What's up with the picture of a real person, and not an avatar? '

If thats a real person then erm what planet? Not complaining mind

wtf again.PNG

Rather .. what kind of required software and hardware would render this avatar with seemingly more features than the most expensive RTX series of GPU's combined with any new generation CPU's would be able to cope with without frying itself @ 60 FPS ? 

Takes at least an NVidia RTX 4090 TI OC to run this .... :|

So they made a video with real human beings and make-up and visual effects without computers to hide the true visual rendering by a computer of SL ..

Hmmmm ....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

All I can think of due to the green screens and cosplay is that they are trying to emphasise the 'be what you want to be' slogan SL sometimes uses.

That just makes me think .. Be who you want to be - after a three-cup session of filtering and manipulating your virtual selfies in an image editor .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

This is the real SL for me. It's unfiltered.

Snapshot_002_001.thumb.png.8025146c564c9d69b093ef8f38463c9e.png

Snapshot_002_002.thumb.png.0cc58fa843bfaa1f44804e3275e8e877.png

I will not keep it, but in this raw form I always found it visually pleasing.

At least nothing to hide from, from others.

I probably just don' t get it.

ETA : I mean seriously, without remorse, THEY will need to make me an offer to keep a region like this, however much I still like living there.

I know they won' t.

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Take a number. We're going to be waist deep in them when more people see this.

I just don't understand the thinking here. It's not just that this is "misleading." The vast gulf between what they seem to be promising and what the average new user is likely to see in their first, oh I don't know . . . forever? . . . is going to generate a backlash.

You can't lie this egregiously and not piss people off.

Where are their heads at?

See my post about transparency in that other thread.

I think the real question is, what are they trying to hide now and how hard will it impact residents?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

Nothing they say is **untrue** but they failed to say three very important things;

#1..Second Life is not any one thing. It can be a game, it can be a social network or it can be something else as you decide. The important thing to remember is that there *are* no Non-Player-Characters; so treat others like the Real People they are.

#2..Second Life is like Real Life; it is what you make of it (you just look younger/better/furrier here). Talk to people and use Search to discover things to do, because if you wait for someone to lead you by the hand; you may get lonely.

#3..Second Life is the realm of imagination. No one here is under any compulsion to resemble their Real Life appearance or demographics. That being said; we have some of the most beautiful minds and most-liberated spirits you will find on the Interweb.

image.gif

It's a creative platform whether that creativity is social, artistic, or whatever. Creative platform is what it is and always will be as long as we  are allowed to bring our own creations into the grid or use the build tools provided by LL 18 years ago.

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I logged in and saw something "alpha flipping fixed", so now they CAN hide!!

Pffft. Just take off the mesh head and body then jack your name tag up way high so that it is out of normal camera view.

Yes it can be done, if you use Firestorm. 🤭

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Braclo Eber said:

I am guessing it is related to the new commercial they teased back in December.

At 1:15 you can see them doing the hair of the new home page person/avatar and at 1:44 you see her in the pose used on the new home page.

Talk about false advertising though.  Nobody in SL will ever look like those people -- except in photoshopped pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

At 1:15 you can see them doing the hair of the new home page person/avatar and at 1:44 you see her in the pose used on the new home page.

Talk about false advertising though.  Nobody in SL will ever look like those people -- except in photoshopped pictures.

Wow.  I did do a few double takes on the hair on the new home page wondering who might have made it.  Now, looking again at the hair, it does not look like a SL hair.  I'd like to make my own blue skin like that though.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.