I have only 1 follower

Doc Carling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, the existence of likes and followers have a reason. As a forum owner, If you want to have a living and active community you need to offer more than just the option to post and reply.  For instance people like to compete. Why else would so many hunt for likes? I bet if there were the option to hide likes, hardly anyone would use it. For me it is ok. I take part on the game.

I wonder why the followers option appearently gets treated like a unwanted step-child. Actually it would be much more suitable to part the elite from the rest. 😛

But I think that is off topic. Perhaps something for a separate thread. I posted this thread because it almost broke my heart that I have just 1 follower. Now I have 3. Yay!  PS: Please don't take this thread too seriously.

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

However it wouldn't concern me one bit if they were turned off too.

Edited by Doc Carling

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I am not a cult leader.

... Still working on that, myself ...

18 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Why else would so many hunt for likes?

I'm not seeing a whole lot of people doing that. There's just this one person who keeps sprouting up new threads about the subject lately ... 'None of which are serious - but please like me'. 

• Like 4

I am not sure what the point of followers and following is. Do you get a notification when someone you follow posts? I have notifications turned off. If I am not logged into the forums I do not care who posts what. I tend to follow people when I notice they follow me, just because it seems like the nice thing to do. 

Just now, Orwar said:

... Still working on that, myself ...

I'm not seeing a whole lot of people doing that. There's just this one person who keeps sprouting up new threads about the subject lately ... 'None of which are serious - but please like me'. 

Well, sorry, then you are blind to see. Why do you think post intelligent people day by day pictures in the avatar threads? You think because it is fun? Day by day the same boring routine? And mostly without getting any feedback except likes? C'mon, let's be realistic, man. If you are referring to me as "this one person". Well, I just say open what other know as good as I. Ok, I admit politcal correctness isn't my best friend. I'm longer than 20 years on web. I must have lost it at some point.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I am not sure what the point of followers and following is. Do you get a notification when someone you follow posts? I have notifications turned off. If I am not logged into the forums I do not care who posts what. I tend to follow people when I notice they follow me, just because it seems like the nice thing to do. 

There is something in the notification settings related to followers. Let's give it a try. I will follow you and then you please post a replay. If I get a notice. Ok? I followed you and got the info that I receive a notice when you post new content.

Edited by Doc Carling

14 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

You think because it is fun?

I certainly hope so. If anyone posts in there without enjoying the process of producing their pictures, for the sake of gaining reputation points on the SL forums alone, that's pretty pathetic in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Day by day the same boring routine?

So, you don't enjoy photography? You do it for attention alone?

16 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

And mostly without getting any feedback except likes?

There's more than likes, but due to drama and flaming over the past years, people seldom post more than 'oh I like this!' or 'that's lovely!' in there. Many of the participants in those threads are people with whom I have contact elsewhere - I get plenty of feedback through Discord, through chatting with people in-world, and occasionally through PMs. I'm opposed to the idea of quoting people to repeat their pictures; even if it may seem a nice thing to do, there's been times when a single picture gets quoted 5 times and appears on several different pages, it's not what those threads are for (and I repeat: it's something those threads have almost ended up getting locked for, the moderators only let them live because of the popularity of them).

If you want feedback, by all means, start a 'Critique my picture' thread. I'll be surprised if it isn't locked within a month due to people flaming each other.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Doc Carling said:

Why else would so many hunt for likes?

to part the elite from the rest.

almost broke my heart that I have just 1 follower

18 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

Do you serously believe that my self-confidence depends on the likes I get or on the number of followers?  Well, then you are very wrong.

Who hunts for likes?  Only one is see doing that is you.

Elite?  WTF?

Seriously?

Again, yes I think it's extremely important to you for some reason.  If it causes you that much heart break, maybe this isn't the place for you.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, Orwar said:

If you want feedback, by all means, start a 'Critique my picture' thread. I'll be surprised if it isn't locked within a month due to people flaming each other.

I'm afraid  that you are right.

15 minutes ago, Orwar said:

So, you don't enjoy photography? You do it for attention alone?

If you check the avatar threads in question you notice that I post perhaps each 2 or 3 weeks a picture. Apart from that I post pictures in Art forum. I want to show other residents what they can do with BoM. These pictures get hardly likes. Anyway, I will try to take myself a little back and focus more on SL photography and avatar building. I have two websites to fill with pictures. Another one that I had to close recently because of outdated scripts got about 3 million visits in 2 years. I hope that I can achieve similar numbers or even more with the new ones.

Edited by Doc Carling

9 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

I have two websites to fill with pictures. Another one that I had to close recently because of outdated scripts got about 3 million visits in 2 years. I hope that I can achieve similar numbers or even more with the new ones.

A simple 'yes' would have sufficed - best of luck with that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is something in the notification settings related to followers. Let's give it a try. I will follow you and then you please post a replay. If I get a notice. Ok? I followed you and got the info that I receive a notice when you post new content.

Ok sure why not?

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I am not sure what the point of followers and following is. Do you get a notification when someone you follow posts? I

Yes, you get a notification.  I follow a few people because I enjoy their posts and getting a notification on a post of theirs will also sometimes lead me to a thread that I had not yet noticed.

I don't keep track of the folks that follow me, but I do get a notification for new followers.  Sometimes, if I'm not familiar with the name, I'll check their forum and inworld profiles.  

Every now and then someone new to the forums, someone that hasn't made a single post, will start following me.  I sometimes find that a bit creepy, especially if the forum account is only a day or two old.

51 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, you get a notification.  I follow a few people because I enjoy their posts and getting a notification on a post of theirs will also sometimes lead me to a thread that I had not yet noticed.

I don't keep track of the folks that follow me, but I do get a notification for new followers.  Sometimes, if I'm not familiar with the name, I'll check their forum and inworld profiles.  

Every now and then someone new to the forums, someone that hasn't made a single post, will start following me.  I sometimes find that a bit creepy, especially if the forum account is only a day or two old.

Thanks for the info. I suppose that must be configured in the notification settings?

I would fallow anybody with pleasure but I have a curt order what say I shouldn't do it or I get in trouble (again). 

If I watch you when you sleep would satisfy you? (It would me I know and I'm doing it any way.)

• Haha 2

I turned the follower thing off as soon as I discovered it existed back when this forum software was new.

I'd be for turning off the 'like' system as well.

These things don't lead to discourse, they lead to short rapid not-well thought out drama. You could make a decent case that the rise of extremist conspiracy movements in the last decade could be largely blamed on the facebook and youtube like buttons. Certainly extremist movements like ISIS and Proud Boys both drove their recruitment through using that system to get their messages to rise up through the chatter. It's a very effective tool no matter what your brand of radicalization might be.

The stakes are obviously much lower here. But it does help lead people into herd thinking.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've actually turned off the option for people to be able to follow me on the forums.  I don't follow anyone here either.  

That was helpful.  I had a few following me for some reason, and never thought to disallow it.  Goodbye, faithful followers, I never followed you. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I get notification when a member who I follow posts new content. But they include also names I don't follow. For example: "Talligurl and CeleneHighwater commented on Wanna make some friends" I'm not following CeleneHighwater.

21 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

I get notification when a member who I follow posts new content. But they include also names I don't follow. For example: "Talligurl and CeleneHighwater commented on Wanna make some friends" I'm not following CeleneHighwater.

Did you enable notifications for threads that you follow -- those type of notifications will tell you the name of every person that commented on a thread that you follow.  By default, you will "follow" any thread you start or comment in.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.