JOBS and INCOME - What do they pay on average and what do you make?

riverjoy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, riverjoy said:

What are you talking about? Getting defensive? lol

I just posted 2 stories about SL millionaires. I never said I could or couldn't do it! I was simply asking where people are at and any advice would be appreciated.

Uh huh.

Well gosh Anshe was in 2006. The video you state is 10 years old. (I didn't watch it because you are bordering into troll region.) Gosh, nothing in the Internet, technology or more importantly, Second Life has changed in all those years. Not a darn thing. What worked in 2006 will certainly work now. 

Do your homework. 

Zero people here said no one has ever made money in SL. Zero.

Pretty sure those that did make money didn't rely upon info from a forum thread (and then push against what they have been told).

Again: Go for it. Ignore what you've read here. Show us all how stupid we are. We'd be glad to hear it.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

You seem to be easily confused (reactions)

4 minutes ago, riverjoy said:

I have claimed no one here is stupid.

If you have recent references of people that have done well financially off SL then please post.

I'm not the one seeking information on how to make six-figures in SL. I'm not the one claiming it can be done, or is likely to be done.

Do your own damned research, instead of posting ANCIENT articles about "see! see! It CAN be done."

Your push back is treating people like they are stupid. You don't actually have to SAY someone is stupid to make an inferred claim. Duh.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

You seem to be easily confused (reactions)

I'm not the one seeking information on how to make six-figures in SL. I'm not the one claiming it can be done, or is likely to be done.

Do your own damned research, instead of posting ANCIENT articles about "see! see! It CAN be done."

Stay off this thread if you're going to be negative.

• Haha 9

Here's the best advice you're going to get. Ready for it?

Don't bother trying.

No video or story you can find will hold water today, no one whatsoever that tries to make anything worthwhile does so these days, anyone trying to tell you otherwise is doing so while smirking at your gullibility ...

I could go on but I won't.

Point blank: You'll be lucky to break even in a few years - if Second Life is even still around by that time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

10 years ago SL was a total different world, with not even half of the development it has now.
It's a bit like you start to sell wooden shoes now, while we have latex wellies already, it will only be interesting for tourists.

And Anshe was 14 years ago (when she hit millionaire status, not when she started).

Alwin, I miss your socks. Just sayin'

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, riverjoy said:

I have claimed no one here is stupid.

If you have recent references of people that have done well financially off SL then please post.

I'm sure the Maitreya mesh body, just an example, has done quite well.  

I think the next "big thing" will do quite well.  I believe it's content now though...I just can't see it for real estate when you aren't even saying what your big draw will be over others?  I can get 1 Linden per 1 LI...what you got?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, riverjoy said:

Stay off this thread if you're going to be negative.

Sorry punkin, but you posted in a public area and you don't get to say who does or doesn't post, nor how they do it.

I'm being realistic and factual, and if you want to read that as being negative to your delusions, then I have zero effs to give on that.

Also, I have been nothing but encouraging for you to go ahead, follow your "dream" prove us all wrong and show us that with $250 and working as a pole dancer that you too can make 6-figures in 2 years.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, riverjoy said:

So it took ANSHE CHUNG 2 years to become a millionaire on SL with $0 investment..

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-millionaire-in-second-life/

10 years ago this couple quit their job and started working on SL fulltime having a starting investment of $250 each

Second Life and the SL real estate market are both very, very different these days -- and most definitely not as profitable.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, riverjoy said:

currently have my sights set on renting out some properties.. what do they usually pay out per month on minimum?

Anshe Chung was in the news because she was the rarer exception, not common at all. She knew what she was doing and/or she knew how to figure it out, figure out what to do to make that money. After she cleaned up in real estate, she subcontracted for environments in IMVU, having a Chinese design team. I’m not even sure what she’s up to now but I definitely be interested in hearing about that.

With the questions that you’re asking, it seems like you do not have that kind of foresight though - if you have to ask such basic questions instead of knowing that in any new platform you’re going to need to be doing the research to provide these kinds of answers yourself. it’s not enough to be the idea person, you have to have the start up cash and the know how to bring your ideas forth. Or the ability to gather a group of investors and then direct the efforts into a profitable outcome.

I’m pretty sure that a lot of the larger brands subcontract their mesh building via less expensive overseas outsourcing as well. It’s true that once the assets are made and uploaded, there’s no more Linden Dollar outlet other than operating expenses for a business owner who sells product but so much new development is needed because Time runs faster here, people get bored much quicker and not as many want to buy some thing that’s a year old if they are a so-called fashionista, or a blogger. I don’t think that there’s a point where clothing stores and home decor stores can “rest on their laurels “and not do at least semi-frequent (seasonal) new releases. But that’s just my speculation.

1 hour ago, Velk Kerang said:

My last job on here was playing guitar and lead singer for tribute bands. I got paid by the gig, but if I were going to tag a number on it by a weekly pay scale then let's just say I don't get out of bed for less then 5K a week mate. ;)

Assuming you are not just joking around with us, how many shows per week did you usually do and how many weeks did you actually clear 5K?  I like live music in SL, I have occasionally sung at an inworld bardic circle myself and I’ve really also been thinking that I should go out and see a few more tribute bands - so I’ve often been curious how that whole situation works as far as performance and venues etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Think we need a thread on how we as older forum members can be more positive for new people who are or should be the lifeblood of S/L's continued existence.

We started out like that but having someone who is new continue to tell us we must be wrong since someone managed to make millions in SL, gets old.  Right now, the fact that you can't even buy a brand new region until the uplift is over, hampers anyone making money renting land.  Even if you do manage to snag a region, there is an overabundance of rentable land so you'd have to offer below market prices.  No way you'd ever make enough money to do anything other than maybe covering your expenses.

No one wants to be a wet blanket to new people but we have years of accumulated experience in SL.  We know how it works.  If the OP feels they can make a go of it, more power to them.  But as I mentioned previously, if it were that easy, we'd all be millionaires.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Think we need a thread on how we as older forum members can be more positive for new people who are or should be the lifeblood of S/L's continued existence.

See below.

29 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

We started out like that but having someone who is new continue to tell us we must be wrong since someone managed to make millions in SL, gets old.  Right now, the fact that you can't even buy a brand new region until the uplift is over, hampers anyone making money renting land.  Even if you do manage to snag a region, there is an overabundance of rentable land so you'd have to offer below market prices.  No way you'd ever make enough money to do anything other than maybe covering your expenses.

No one wants to be a wet blanket to new people but we have years of accumulated experience in SL.  We know how it works.  If they OP feels they can make a go of it, more power to them.  But as I mentioned previously, if it were that easy, we'd all be millionaires.

To further add to this, there are (still) those that come here after reading now ancient articles with expectations that aren't just unrealistic but downright delusional/absurd.

Anyone making a large sum these days spent quite a long time getting to where they are now, without any exceptions.

Despite the laughter at my initial post in this thread, it is the stark reality. Instead of pretending otherwise or promoting "positivity" the reality needs to be laid bare and new users need to accept that the odds of repeating the big breakouts of the past are not in their favor.

From there they can decide on putting in the time and effort. Dewey eyed optimism is not going to help them.

Edited by Solar Legion
Slight rewording in initial paragraph
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It’s a difficult topic, because I do know that a lot of people who have been here a long time and really do know a lot of important and valid information do feel undervalued or discounted much of the time, and that never really brings about a positive connection. On the other hand I really do understand the frustration of a new person just saying yeah-yeah-yeah...but how do I do the thing? I don’t know where those two can meet or if they are oil and water, but I do know that everyone’s uplifted a little bit more if the thread stays positive when it’s not just a joking around thread. Throw in not being able to read the room, being misunderstood and sense of humor varying from country to country – well it’s kind of difficult all the way around. I’ve actually been thinking about this a bit lately too and I came to the conclusion that what you’re asking is never going to come about because everyone will do as they do… And really values their ability to do that over any sense of agreement on what we as residents can do to help retention rates . I would  definitely try to contribute to a dedicated thread for newbie questions and keep my own sarcastic shenanigans to a minimum *in that particular thread*. That’s really all I can offer. 😉

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

It’s a difficult topic, because I do know that a lot of people who have been here a long time and really do know a lot of important and valid information do feel undervalued or discounted much of the time, and that never really brings about a positive connection. On the other hand I really do understand the frustration of a new person just saying yeah-yeah-yeah...but how do I do the thing? I don’t know where those two can meet or if they are oil and water, but I do know that everyone’s uplifted a little bit more if the thread stays positive when it’s not just a joking around thread. Throw in not being able to read the room, being misunderstood and sense of humor varying from country to country – well it’s kind of difficult all the way around. I’ve actually been thinking about this a bit lately too and I came to the conclusion that what you’re asking is never going to come about because everyone will do as they do… And really values their ability to do that over any sense of agreement on what we as residents can do to help retention rates . I would  definitely try to contribute to a dedicated thread for newbie questions and keep my own sarcastic shenanigans to a minimum *in that particular thread*. That’s really all I can offer. 😉

mmhmm

And what Rowan said.

I'm all for helping new people. I can and I do. Often. Here and elsewhere.

But anyone who has been around the forums (any forums) long enough also gets a little fed up with new folks showing up, asking a question, and then arguing with the info they get. Or being trolls. Or getting help and never bothering to return to the thread they start. Or...

I find that people tend to get what they give. Not always, but often.

And as you say, Fauve, everyone will do as they do. Some people think it is great to encourage everyone to do everything, regardless of whether it is realistic or not. That's a whole way of thinking, and it is fairly pervasive in a certain percentage of the population. Other's think it is kinder to be truthful. And when truth is met with "Nuh uh, I foundz an Youtubes!" well, some of us just never really saw the point in suffering fools, gladly or otherwise.

It doesn't help a person new to SL to foster unrealistic beliefs about the place. It isn't a get rich quick place. It isn't a utopia where only good people do good deeds. It isn't a place where what you see above a person's head as a tag is always the truth. And on and on. Pretending that these things are true is also not a way to keep new people.

(And my reply isn't just based on your comment Fauve, but to the little sub-thread about Arielle's comments.)

• Like 3

The thing is, @riverjoy - That was then, this is now.

The days of startups getting into property in a big way like Anshe or into kinky furniture like Stroker or pretty much into anything in SL and making any kind of significant RL money are basically gone.

Even Anshe and her various subsidiaries are not making the same kind of money they were back then. They remain viable - at least, the fact that she hasn't shut them down suggests so - but NOBODY is making that kind of crazy money in SL any more.

These folks got where they were by doing something nobody else could in SL. They made their names doing it and even today everybody, from the old-timers down to the newest noob knows these names - not yours. The barrier to entry is so much higher now because all these things have not only "already been done" but they have established businesses still doing it. These established businesses suck up almost all the available purchasing power in SL and for every hoorenbeek, every akaesha, every catwa slink belleza or signature there have been HUNDREDS of creators that have sunk without trace. These days the odds against you are HIGHER than that.

Now, you may be an innovative genius and come up with something really radical that nobody else has worked out how to do yet. You may be talented in some way and can find a way to bring that into SL and attract folks attention. If you are, and you do, then you have a decent shot of making reasonable - but no longer crazy - money in SL.If not, then for you SL will be something you put money into, not take money out of.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Assuming you are not just joking around with us, how many shows per week did you usually do and how many weeks did you actually clear 5K?  I like live music in SL, I have occasionally sung at an inworld bardic circle myself and I’ve really also been thinking that I should go out and see a few more tribute bands - so I’ve often been curious how that whole situation works as far as performance and venues etc.

Well no ma'am I'm not joking around. lol Not on that anyway. lol The way it works is a lot of it is made on tips. Some bands pay a flat rate plus tips. So back when I was active some weeks I did 3 to 5 shows a week. If I had the free time I did a show every day a week. Some shows do really well and you have your bad nights also. My last show I came out of retirement for in order to do a bachelor/bachelorette party for some friends who tied the knot on here I cleared roughly 2k take home that night. We're talking a full sim packed with people that night. So sufficed to say that was a really good turn out. lol So 5k a week I'd say that's about fair to say that was the least I pulled in a week mate.:)

Also it's a lot more work involved then people think it is. You have to choreograph the shows as best as you can to match the concert your playing. The equipment is not by any means cheap. You have to spend time creating an avatar for the band member your portraying. On stage your operating a hud, sometimes huds constantly while moving around and interacting with the crowd and communicating with the band and you definitely don't want to be the one having to play in the concert on top of operating the stage and light shows and stuff. Which I won't even get in to the headaches involved if your setting up custom stages for various different concerts. lol :D

• Like 5

Even the people you mentioned as examples were thinking faster and working harder than most others at the time.

If you need advice on where to start, it seems like you are already behind.

If you'd come on here and said "Hey, I want to start a billion dollar business selling books on the internet out of my garage." we might have had something to talk about.

Good luck!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

No one wants to be a wet blanket to new people but we have years of accumulated experience in SL.  We know how it works.  If the OP feels they can make a go of it, more power to them.  But as I mentioned previously, if it were that easy, we'd all be millionaires.

Yes, the first couple pages were good but it was starting to degenerate and I didn't get the sense from the OP that he/she was saying anyone was wrong but just exploring different options and wondering why some who have in past made good money, couldn't be duplicated today. I have a similar way of asking questions or pointing out what appear to be contradictions to what others are saying and it isn't that I would be disregarding the responses but simply trying to cover the bases so I have a better idea of what can or cannot be done. This is especially the case if one poster makes a facetious comment and doesn't follow it up with an appropriate emoji to denote that. That one comment can throw all the previous responses out the window for someone new.

Any case I should emphasize that it was just the last few posts, not the great majority of responses in the first 2 pages. I probably knee jerked a bit too quickly and for that I apologize.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Despite the laughter at my initial post in this thread, it is the stark reality. Instead of pretending otherwise or promoting "positivity" the reality needs to be laid bare and new users need to accept that the odds of repeating the big breakouts of the past are not in their favor.

But there is a fine line between being quite blunt and being brutal, especially for someone new.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Evah Baxton said:

"Hey, I want to start a billion dollar business selling books on the internet out of my garage." we might have had something to talk about.

Billion?  It's almost trillion now.  I read Jeff Bezos may become the world's first trillionaire.  But, recently Jeff Bezos came out with a statement that even Amazon can fail and mostly likely will someday.  

As far as the OP, I hope I was not brutal to him.  I don't think I said anything brutal.  I wanted to know what he has to offer as opposed to others because that's what it's all about.  It's just business.  Though in SL I have been able to mix business with pleasure.  My main landlord's are now my friends and have been for quite some time.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

But there is a fine line between being quite blunt and being brutal, especially for someone new.

And that fine line is quite subjective and it is based on too many factors to really control in this environment. I often think ‘how rude!’ when I read things...but I also try hard to read the content and not just the tone too. If I see someone being a socially awkward panda but speaking a truth, I really do try to focus in on the truth part and not get hung up on the socially awkward part . That’s not to be confused with someone I would like to spend time with because that kind of behavior does set me on edge too, and I tend to avoid it. 
Very few people in SL know me outside of SL, and fewer still know me in real life so I can’t really take any of it personally if I’m thinking about it in a rational way.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.