Possible national satellite broadcast of Second Life?

jw99sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You had me at "cat video."

Alas, my feline is up  on Elon's do-hic running hair care product experiments [yes, hair care- why do you think rich guys want to go into space , they hope zero gravity will keep it hanging around longer, alas Jeff, too late for you dude] and Puss won't be back for me to run this by him for a few months.

In the meantime, I suggest a Go Fund me page, sell some sweet swag. Include a cat.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jw99sl said:

Yes, but I'm going to have permission from Linden Lab to use their Second Life Grid server software and modify it as a downlink only version of it, then deploy HP Proliant Bladesystem servers with 100TB SSDs, install my modified minimodem next, deploy my modified Second Life Grid software to the latter servers, then begin my service to compete with Stadia and others.

Satellaview_system.png

A diagram showing Satellaview operating.

You sound like someone who is an original thinker. I have a proposal that you might be interested in - there are people in this world who don't have cars. I propose that we set up a business to sell them Mercury-Redstone Launch Vehicles to get around in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Redstone_Launch_Vehicle

Trust me, I've thought this out. I know, you'd need at least a Mercury-Atlas to be orbital, but how many people really need to go into orbit? And yes, you'll be spending ridiculous amounts of money on obsolete technology instead of spending far less on current technology, but isn't that what this entire thread is about?

Anyway, I'd welcome any money you'd be willing to invest. Rest assured you'll get your fair share of the profits (after expenses, of course.)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

the reset of us are still trying to figure it out. I believe I understand the basis as i stated in an earlier post.. but why anyone would ever want to do it for something like sl.. is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

not going to ever happen.. it will die before its ever born.

This will happen even after its born. Once I'm done with that, I'll move on with a gaming service next, based on the technology I created.

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Quick calculation - correct me if I'm wrong - downloading 300 petabytes through a fairly fast 100 Mbps connection should take about ... 76,103 years.

Maybe 1Tb/s speed would be fairly good. It would take about a month. or a year.

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Why? You know, you still haven't provided a single useful function for such a project.

Are you talking about a "single player" Second Life you can run all on your own computer? That already exists.

Or are you talking about live video streaming from Second Life? That already exists.

What else have you got?

What else have I got? After I'm done with that, I'll start-up my satellite gaming service, using the same technology that I have mentioned in the first page, a standalone tuner after the Second Life PCI-E peripheral. I think it would be a collaboration between Capcom of Japan, WKYC, Hauppage and Tegna of the USA, and Sony Interactive Entertainment, to make a satellite tuner for the PS5 console. WKYC (as WKYC-SB-TDM, and WKYC-SB-TDM1, after I petition the FCC for analog satellite data multplex broadcast licenses), would provide the necessary satellite and broadcasting services, as well as host many of its news broadcasts, while Capcom, Sony and other third-party developers would create games and other content for the peripheral (e.g. Okami).

Edited by jw99sl
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jw99sl said:

Maybe 1Tb/s speed would be fairly good. It would take about a month. or a year.

But you can't risk downloading too fast. All the good content in SL is the intellectual property not of LL but of the various content creators. There are millions of them and some are so backwards they don't even have a Facebook account so it'll be hard to get in touch with them all. The only safe way to handle this is to slow down the download speed so that all IP rights have expired by the time it's done. That'll take more than 100 years. Let's say 150 to be safe.

Can anybody calculate what bandwidth we need if we want to download 300 petabytes of data in 150 years?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

But you can't risk downloading too fast. All the good content in SL is the intellectual property not of LL but of the various content creators. There are millions of them and some are so backwards they don't even have a Facebook account so it'll be hard to get in touch with them all. The only safe way to handle this is to slow down the downlaod speed so that all IP rights have expired by the time it's done. That'll take more than 100 years. Let's say 150 to be safe.

Can anybody calculate what bandwidth we need if we want to download 300 petabytes of data in 150 years?

About 500 megabits per second would do it, if there are no interruptions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

if there are no interruptions.

Imagine the download being interrupted after 149 years and 11 months and have to be redone from scratch. That would actually  be a teeny bit annoying.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Imagine the download being interrupted after 149 years and 11 months and have to be redone from scratch. That would actually  be a teeny bit annoying.

reget ... regret

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jw99sl said:

I may add uplink capabiliites as well, if my engineers and coders at WKYC can.

Oh look, YOU may add up link if YOUR engineers and coders can, as if you already own that company. Jeeez... 🤦‍♂️ Dude your fantasy really runs wild, it's gonna give you a huge delusion when you'll present this idea and they will boot you out of the window laughing at you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2020 at 2:01 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

Oh look, YOU may add up link if YOUR engineers and coders can, as if you already own that company. Jeeez... 🤦‍♂️ Dude your fantasy really runs wild, it's gonna give you a huge delusion when you'll present this idea and they will boot you out of the window laughing at you. 

Oh look, YOU may add a new design if YOUR cosing skills can, as if you already own Linden Lab instead of Philip himself. Jeeez... 🤦‍♂️ Dude your fantasy really runs wild, it's gonna give you a huge delusion when you'll present your ideas for avatars and they will boot you out of the window laughing at you. 

21 hours ago, animats said:

You could try discussing this on GameDev, where game developers hang out. You'd get some useful feedback. This is mostly a user forum.

Are you kidding me? Second Life IS A VIRTUAL WORLD, NOT A GAME.

There's no way that they'll accept it if I present this idea and they will boot me out of the window laughing at me. It's going to give me negative feedback, and that some users wil think "it's a virtual world".

Edited by jw99sl
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Even if you did get a mirror of Second Life, there would not be anybody else in it without duplex network connections.

Of course there will be.duplex connections via an OrbyTV superstation. It will be my patented and proprietary inventions.

• Haha 1

And people think I'm overly imaginative.

I'm going to mirror what everyone has been telling you, and be even more blunt.

This is the cringiest *****ing thing I've ever seen - so bad that I couldn't look through this thread at all without my head screaming why, and that's coming from someone whose personal life can tend to be quite cringeworthy by others' standards.

Why in the hell would anyone invest in anything resembling this is beyond me when in either being used as a in-world media broadcast system or as a way to connect to SL from anywhere - both have little to no appeal, through the use of assets that you don't even own.

Do yourself a favor, have some humility and give it a rest.

Edited by Rathgrith027
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jw99sl said:

There's no way that they'll accept it if I present this idea and they will boot me out of the window laughing at me. It's going to give me negative feedback, and that some users wil think "it's a virtual world".

Unlike, say, the overwhelming positive feedback you have been getting here?  Face it, you're going to have a hard time finding anywhere where they don't laugh you out of the room.  You seem to have missed noticing a couple of pages ago that the only Linden who has entered this thread just rolled her eyes and walked away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

And people think I'm overly imaginative.

I'm going to mirror what everyone has been telling you, and be even more blunt.

This is the cringiest *****ing thing I've ever seen - so bad that I couldn't look through this thread at all without my head screaming why, and that's coming from someone whose personal life can tend to be quite cringeworthy by others' standards.

Why in the hell would anyone invest in anything resembling this is beyond me when in either being used as a in-world media broadcast system or as a way to connect to SL from anywhere - both have little to no appeal, through the use of assets that you don't even own.

Do yourself a favor, have some humility and give it a rest.

No. You have some humility and give it a rest.

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Unlike, say, the overwhelming positive feedback you have been getting here?  Face it, you're going to have a hard time finding anywhere where they don't laugh you out of the room.  You seem to have missed noticing a couple of pages ago that the only Linden who has entered this thread just rolled her eyes and walked away. 

Face it Roling Loon, you're going to have a hard time finding anywhere where I don't laugh you out of the room.  You seem to have missed noticing a couple of pages ago that the only Linden who has entered this thread just thought it was a great idea. 

Edited by jw99sl
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.