Possible national satellite broadcast of Second Life?

jw99sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Solar Legion said:

I'll make it very clear for you then, ready?

It. Is. Nonsense. No. One. Will. Pay. For. It. Let. Alone. Even. Entertain. The. Idea. Of. Paying. For. It.

Enjoy your play-pretend idea/world.

No. I think this is your fault for being on this online world that is being plagued by attacks.

Enjoy being stuck having no internet connection at all.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ardy Lay said:

A satellite data stream sending game software and assets to a game console is a functional model.  The games are run in isolation on the console so there is no need for any type of return data path.  Second Life is an interactive system, not something with packaged content, nor is there a run at home Second Life server to go with the Second Life client.  OpenSimulator, and other virtual world systems that can be run in isolation on the user’s own hardware might be a better target for this project.  One can download regions and inventory from some creator libraries to be hosted locally on OpenSimulator.  

And my idea of sending SL data is my idea and will be a functional model soon.

34 minutes ago, jw99sl said:

I don't think that is the goal of my project. I think it's gonna be a downlink-only version of SL.

You seem to have missed the point of SL. It is interactive. That requires fast TWO-WAY communication between client and server.

What are you thinking when you say "expansions packs"?

Other games have them to add content like new areas, avatars, clothes, armour, weapons... But in SL the content is dynamic, changing by the minute with over 200 terabytes of content. The content is online and downloaded as needed.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Nalates Urriah said:

You seem to have missed the point of SL. It is interactive. That requires fast TWO-WAY communication between client and server.

Nope. ONE-WAY only between WKYC's servers and the client with a PCI-E card..

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

How big is “Second Life data”? 😉

115 MB to be exact, 200 TB in WKYC's SLG servers.

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Then you won't mind if I forward a link to this thread to Justin Gutschmidt, WKYC's Digital Sales Manager.

Consider it done!

Well good luck with that. I really hope they hire me for that.

Edited by jw99sl
  • Haha 1

Ardy's sussed it.

The OP is not being totally ludicrous, or a troll.  There ARE cloud gaming services out there.  Why, I just got an ad from Verizon offering me a three month free trial of Google Stadia, which is just one such service.  Cloud based gaming is sort of the Evil Twin of game agglomeration and sales platforms like Steam.  Where with Steam, you buy and download a game to your computer, with Stadia you pay a subscription fee to have full access to a library of games, but they are not downloaded to your machine (rather like iTunes).

Like iTunes, these models have three horrendous downsides.  1) If you stop paying tribute, you lose all your games/music.  2)  The company itself controls your access to "your" content.  If they decide to raise prices, or even go out of business, you are SOL.  3) Access depends on the speed and reliability of your internet.  No internet, or poor internet = no access to "your" content.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Then you won't mind if I forward a link to this thread to Justin Gutschmidt, WKYC's Digital Sales Manager.

Consider it done!

As I live near Cleveland, I'm surprised I have not heard anything about this.  I passed the message along as well.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jw99sl said:

Of course I will. I and Tegna will make HUGE profits form this ambitious project.

No you wont.. and no they wont.. you are just delusional.. its tragic really..

sl is not nearly as desirable as you might think it is. the majority of the real world does not even know it exists and will not care about it.

There was an attempt by a cable provider to make a station based around game play. It didn't end that well. It lasted for a few years before most of its programming was dropped and replaced with other things.

• Haha 1

I think the OP misses the whole concept of "interactive" and has no clue about continuous client-server data transfer.  I hope he's only spending his own money on this plan and isn't going to drag some other clueless investors down with him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jw99sl said:

The servers at WKYC (running Second Life Grid) will use minimodem ( http://www.whence.com/minimodem/ )

So you expect servers to cope with all the data in bits per second (Baud) whilst clients consume data at MB/s or even GB/s ?

Sounds like this idea is already congested before it started .. :|

Edited by TDD123
Baud
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jw99sl said:

Nope. ONE-WAY only between WKYC's servers and the client with a PCI-E card..

Have you even been in SL? 

Anyone can see SL uses a two-way communication system. Just open your network monitor and watch the bytes sent and received. In Windows open Resource Monitor. Watch the network traffic on your computer for a minute or two then open a viewer.

You can think WKYC only needs to send the downstream content. But we already have ATT satellite connections where the satellite side is downstream only. They handle the upstream via their copper wire DSL connection. If you call them up and talk to them about using one of these connection for gaming even they will tell you it isn't going to work well. Far too much latency.

4 minutes ago, jw99sl said:

115 MB to be exact.

Well good luck with that. I really hope they hire me for that.

Where did you get the idea that SL has only 115 MB of data?

That is about the size of a viewer download. The SL content was over 200 terabytes five years ago. If you opened the Resource Monitor and watched the data flow through the viewer you'll know SL is going to stream gigabytes of data per month. 

It is common for me to see 10k to 20k B/sec up and 300k to 700k B/sec down...

image.thumb.png.f38888ed652933902487b19ab345b6cd.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What the OP proposes is just that you 'watch' sl being played by others. not that you are playing sl..  its just another attempt at an e-gaming tv channel where everyone watches their favorite players play the game.. like an e-sport..

sort of like another twitchtv service but this time over cable or satellite.

like how G4 used to be back when it first was created. where it had the e-sports shows.

sl is not an e-sport and cant really be marketed as one either.

plus even if was to ever take off the ground it will fail over time as people just begin to pirate the episodes or channels and share them with others for free over sources like Kodi. why subscribe or pay for anything when you will be able to get it for free.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jw99sl said:

To whom it may concern, is it possible to broadcast Second Life via satellite in the same manner as Nintendo's Satellaview in Japan?🤔

No.

( For the other reasons I messaged you about as well . )

Edited by TDD123
  • Haha 1

It's already hard enough to "market" second life and bring more people in just the way it is till now so don't expect this satellaview idea to get them interested. For example right now its Sunday and about 44000+ international users are online.. remove at least half of them due to being traffic bots etc, do the math and you ll figure out whats going on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

What the OP proposes is just that you 'watch' sl being played by others. not that you are playing sl..  its just another attempt at an e-gaming tv channel where everyone watches their favorite players play the game.. like an e-sport..

Why in heaven's name would anyone want to do that? This is a social meeting/shopping/creating platform. Who would pay to watch other people shop and chat with each other? Watching creators at work could be interesting, but most of the creative work of mesh modeling, scripting, and animation is done offline. It's fun to watch the Moles landscaping Bellisseria, but would I pay to watch them?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

It's already hard enough to "market" second life and bring more people in just the way it is till now so don't expect this satellaview idea to get them interested. For example right now its Sunday and about 44000+ international users are online.. remove at least half of them due to being traffic bots etc, do the math and you ll figure out whats going on.

yep sl used to have twice if not three times that number years ago. its pretty sad really.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Why in heaven's name would anyone want to do that? This is a social meeting/shopping/creating platform. Who would pay to watch other people shop and chat with each other? Watching creators at work could be interesting, but most of the creative work of mesh modeling, scripting, and animation is done offline. It's fun to watch the Moles landscaping Bellisseria, but would I pay to watch them?

Same reason some watch and subscribe to twitchtv I suppose.. because they are bored and have no life.

some mesh creators do use yt or a few other places to show off their work, and some animators, but not scripters because you could pause and maybe copy the script.

but yeah.. it is worth paying for.. NO.. not now or ever.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.