Possible national satellite broadcast of Second Life?

jw99sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The OP is not being totally ludicrous, or a troll.  There ARE cloud gaming services out there.

Yeah, but do you really want to name those concepts and this... this... bubble... in the same breathe?

Like starting with the very basic of asking the existing company behind the "content to be streamed" if they'd be up for it? 

PS: Soon™

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

The whole premise of the OP makes no sense. It makes so little sense that it borders on ludicrous. I can see why everyone thinks it’s a trollling attempt. 

Quite seriously, the responses here ought to raise a red flag for the OP and for any organizations that he wants to enlist in his project. Most people who are responding here are long-time SL residents. We like this place. We all have different reasons for being here, but we all share a sense that SL is interesting and worth visiting ... over and over again. If we think that this is a crazy idea, that should tell the OP something about how appealing it is going to be for people who know little or nothing about SL. 

That's not to say that there can't be good ways to offer outsiders a peek of what SL looks like through productions on TV, cable, or podcasts.  A CSI: New York episode back in 2007 attracted quite a few newbies, some of whom are still here. (Yeah, it was corny and superficial, but it worked and we still talk about it.)  There have been a few others too, at least one this year.  So, a production with a compelling story line can work.  That's not what the OP is proposing, though.  And doing even a short one-off episode takes a lot of effort, and can't be inexpensive.  Doing it on the scale that the OP is talking about requires a big leap of faith, a professional team, and some deep pockets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jw99sl said:

115 MB to be exact, 200 TB in WKYC's SLG servers.

Well good luck with that. I really hope they hire me for that.

Sir SL's content has reached over 300 petabytes in assets, that was I believe 2012 when that was reported, it's been many years that's over 300,000 terabytes,  also assets are stored on ll's servers only, LL is not going hand over assets for any packs.    So what can you do you ask yourself at this point,  opensimulator would be the answer to everything you want,   but it will not have SL assets,  only assets that are provided freely by a few opensimulator creators.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Sir SL's content has reached over 300 petabytes in assets, that was I believe 2012 when that was reported, it's been many years that's over 300,000 terabytes,  also assets are stored on ll's servers only, LL is not going hand over assets for any packs.    So what can you do you ask yourself at this point,  opensimulator would be the answer to everything you want,   but it will not have SL assets,  only assets that are provided freely by a few opensimulator creators.

I believe so. 300 petabytes to be broadcast to any home from WKYC's digital broadcast center.

Edited by jw99sl
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2020 at 1:40 PM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

with all the laughs they are giving out.. it smells like a no life.. bored individual.

I am not a bored individiual. I want to make my downlink-only version to be a reality.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Well, I mean, it's nice to have goals & stuff...

Yes, but I'm going to have permission from Linden Lab to use their Second Life Grid server software and modify it as a downlink only version of it, then deploy HP Proliant Bladesystem servers with 100TB SSDs, install my modified minimodem next, deploy my modified Second Life Grid software to the latter servers, then begin my service to compete with Stadia and others.

Satellaview_system.png

A diagram showing Satellaview operating.

Edited by jw99sl
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, jw99sl said:

Yes, but I'm going to have permission from Linden Lab to use their Second Life Grid server software and modify it as a downlink only version of it, then deploy HP Proliant Bladesystem servers with 100TB SSDs, install my modified minimodem next, deploy my modified Second Life Grid software to the latter servers, then begin my service to compete with Stadia and others.

Satellaview_system.png

A diagram showing Satellaview operating.

Goodluck with getting the server side software from LL... They kept it in a safe till now, but they will open it for you because of your brilliant and knowledgeable idea, from your explanation it is clear that you really deeply know how the system works. I really wish to see how you will manage LLs spaghetti code without even being able to tie your own shoes 😂 

Besides, the whole idea is pathetic on its own.

Whatever company you'd be able to drag in to this crippled idea that is so ignorant to fall for such a brainfart, will end up to sue the crap out of you for causing their bankruptcy. 

Go ahead laugh reacting. Your blindness is amusing🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Goodluck with getting the server side software from LL... They kept it in a safe till now, but they will open it for you because of your brilliant and knowledgeable idea, from your explanation it is clear that you really deeply know how the system works. I really wish to see how you will manage LLs spaghetti code without even being able to tie your own shoes 😂 

Besides, the whole idea is pathetic on its own.

Whatever company you'd be able to drag in to this crippled idea that is so ignorant to fall for such a brainfart, will end up to sue the crap out of you for causing their bankruptcy. 

Go ahead laugh reacting. Your blindness is amusing🤣

It's not pathetic. But it's likely as good as the Satellaview itself. It's not a brainfart. And it will not cause their bankruptcy. And I'm not blind either.

Edited by jw99sl
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Sure, sure and sure. OMG I'm laughing so hard right now 🤣

Yeah yeah. I get it. But the PCI-E add-on and service (SLSS) will be good for anyone who doesn't have the internet. I may add uplink capabiliites as well, if my engineers and coders at WKYC can.

Edited by jw99sl

Just now, jw99sl said:

Yeah yeah. I get it. But the PCI-E add-on and service (SLSS) will be good for anyone who doesn't have the internet. I may add uplink capabiliites as well, if my engineers and coders at WKYC can.

Let' s put it mildly here and I'll be the one doing so : give the idea up. Don' t go for it.

At least you cannot say nobody told you.

Hey! Networking engineer here.

Second Life uses a lot of bandwidth, particularly due to dynamic assets and physics streaming. Satellaview was primarily used to transmit games in a read only format, and those games were less than 2 MiB. While satellite technology has improved much since then, there is still the following issues:

• Satellite rentals are not cheap
  • Satellaview only received broadcast, it didn't send them
  • Latency is a huge problem with satellite internet

Honestly, if I worked for Linden Lab, I would not pursue this as, to put it bluntly, it would be a waste of time due to lack of potential users. Anyone who would be buying this technology for home use, would be much better off buying satellite internet such as Hughes net(Not sponsered/endorsed/etc). It is cheaper, the technology is much more refined, and there are much more uses other than being restricted to Second Life.

Here is a feature comparison:

Features Second Life "Satellaview" Satellite internet
High Latency Yes Yes
Platform locked Yes No
Price Expensive Cheap-ish
PCI Slot requirement Yes No
Can access SL Yes Yes
Can access WWW No Yes
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jw99sl said:

300 petabytes to be broadcast to any home from WKYC's digital broadcast center.

Quick calculation - correct me if I'm wrong - downloading 300 petabytes through a fairly fast 100 Mbps connection should take about ... 76,103 years.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jw99sl said:

I want to make my downlink-only version to be a reality.

Why? You know, you still haven't provided a single useful function for such a project.

Are you talking about a "single player" Second Life you can run all on your own computer? That already exists.

Or are you talking about live video streaming from Second Life? That already exists.

What else have you got?

Edited by ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.