Possible national satellite broadcast of Second Life?

jw99sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To whom it may concern, is it possible to broadcast Second Life via satellite in the same manner as Nintendo's Satellaview in Japan?🤔

Here's on how it works:

An Second Life Satellite Service device attaches to a computer's PCI-E slot. The peripheral itself contains 4 GB of ROM space and 25 GB of RAM to increase memory performance of the computer. A SL Satellite Service device is packaged with a coaxial cable, which are used to connect the computer to a user's satellite dish that is required to operate it. 25 GB CompactFlash memory packs are used to save virtual world and broadcast information, inserted into the side of a special application ExpressCard. These memory packs can be rewritten with new content, and can also be used in conjunction with other certain Second Life expansion packs, such as the Furries Costume Pack. In order to use SL Satellite Service, a user has to purchase a custom SLSS TV tuner from WKYC themselves, and pay monthly fees to both WKYC, OrbyTV and Linden Lab. It also helps increase the computer's hardware performance with extra on-board RAM.

The application Blu-ray Disc of the Second Life Satellite Service, titled SLubuntu, serves as both an interactive menu system and its own interface, based on a modified and stripped-down version of Ubuntu and the Second Life client. It's inserted into the BD-ROM drive of a computer, and is required to use the peripheral. The interface features a Second Life-based hub world, featuring different buildings that represent each of Second Life Satellite Service's different services and entertainment venues. Users can create a custom 3D avatar, purchase items found in stores scattered across the grid, play emulated games, etc., as well as read announcements made by WKYC and Linden Lab and participate in contests. 

WKYC's new channel (broadcasting on analogue under a waiver from the FCC) will include a new programming block, the "Second Life Hour", which provides SL tips and news for upcoming expansion packs on Second Life. WKYC would provide the necessary satellite and broadcasting services, as well as host many of its news broadcasts, while Linden Lab would create virtual worlds and other content for the PCI-E peripheral. I will stress to published Second Life material that much of Second Life Satellite Service's content, namely broadcasts by WKYC themselves, are aimed primarily for the family, with the virtual world constituting only a small portion of airtime.

The servers at WKYC (running Second Life Grid) will use minimodem ( http://www.whence.com/minimodem/ )

Edited by jw99sl
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

• jw99sl changed the title to Possible national satellite broadcast of Second Life?

Puzzled.

• WKYC is a television station in Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
  • SLubuntu? Google has zero hits.
  • Minimodem is a software modem emulator for frequency-shift-keying type modems, for 300 baud and lower. No way will Second Life work over that.
  • Orby TV is a real thing, but it is a broadcast system only - no interactivity, not even video on demand.

1 hour ago, animats said:

Puzzled.

• WKYC is a television station in Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
  • SLubuntu? Google has zero hits.
  • Minimodem is a software modem emulator for frequency-shift-keying type modems, for 300 baud and lower. No way will Second Life work over that.
  • Orby TV is a real thing, but it is a broadcast system only - no interactivity, not even video on demand.

Orby TV will have interactivity one day, if I make a recieving SLSS PCI-E modem. Second Life will work with minimodem, albeit modified, and is not a modem emulator, it is a software modem. And SLubuntu? It's a modified variant of the Ubuntu OS and the Second Life client (stripped down). It'll be broadcast from WKYC-TV to one of Eutelsat America's satelites to anyone who wishes to join in the fun, and don't have an internet connection.

Edited by jw99sl
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jw99sl said:

expansion packs on Second Life

There are no expansion packs,  you are asking content creators go "here, have my products that are freely put on a device"  yeah, that will never happen,  I run a store, I help with a huge furry community,  nobody is going to agree to any kind of packs. 

• Like 1

And then, of course, there's the issue of ping time. When you use a satellite connection, signals are being bounced off a satellite in Earth orbit, far enough away that it takes several hundred milliseconds to complete the trip.  That's no problem if you are watching cat videos on YouTube, but SL depends on rapid, continuous data transfer between LL servers and your computer. If your viewer and the servers are out of sync, you get major lag and frequent crashing. Ask SL residents who are halfway around the world from the Lab's servers in California what that is like.

• Like 4

Would it be possible some day. probably.

Would many like or want it. probably not.

Would many pay to have it or use it. again probably not.

sl is really a niche system and not really nearly as popular in rl as some might want to think it is or can be. Not a lot of people would pay to watch sl videos broadcast over national tv systems when you can already find and watch sl videos for free on yt or other video sharing services.

anyone with a good enough computer and video capture/edit software can capture and upload live video to yt. no need for any other special hardware such as a special modem or anything else to upload or watch. dont even really need any special tv/video capture hardware as was normal a few years back. just a medium grade computer and decent internet connection.

so this sort of system would not really have much of a following and would probably cost more to run then it would ever produce in any form of income for those using it.

there is no such thing as expansion packs for sl it self. maybe for the viewer service you have envisioned but not sl itself.

18 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

sl is really a niche system and not really nearly as popular in rl as some might want to think it is or can be. Not a lot of people would pay to watch sl videos broadcast over national tv systems when you can already find and watch sl videos for free on yt or other video sharing services.

anyone with a good enough computer and video capture/edit software can capture and upload live video to yt. no need for any other special hardware such as a special modem or anything else to upload or watch. dont even really need any special tv/video capture hardware as was normal a few years back. just a medium grade computer and decent internet connection.

so this sort of system would not really have much of a following and would probably cost more to run then it would ever produce in any form of income for those using it.

there is no such thing as expansion packs for sl it self. maybe for the viewer service you have envisioned but not sl itself.

It will be possible in the near future if I get the support of Tegna.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I don't think that is the goal of my project. I think it's gonna be a downlink-only version of SL.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

And then, of course, there's the issue of ping time. When you use a satellite connection, signals are being bounced off a satellite in Earth orbit, far enough away that it takes several hundred milliseconds to complete the trip.  That's no problem if you are watching cat videos on YouTube, but SL depends on rapid, continuous data transfer between LL servers and your computer. If your viewer and the servers are out of sync, you get major lag and frequent crashing. Ask SL residents who are halfway around the world from the Lab's servers in California what that is like.

That's true, on continous data transfer between WKYC's servers and my computer. I may get the support of Tegna, Hauppage, OrbyTV and Linden Lab.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

again most rl people wont care about this or ever use it. only a very small niche group would ever use it. it would never be profitable.

I don't think that's true. It would make huge profits for Tegna.

6 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

There are no expansion packs,  you are asking content creators go "here, have my products that are freely put on a device"  yeah, that will never happen,  I run a store, I help with a huge furry community,  nobody is going to agree to any kind of packs. 

Expansion packs are the key to Second Life's downlink-only version broadcast from WKYC.

5 hours ago, Talligurl said:

The real question is not is it possible, but rather why would anyone want this?

This is for anyone who doesn't have an internet connection. I thought of this idea while researching Nintendo's Satellaview addon for the Japanese Super Nintendo Entertainment System (the Super Famicom).

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

why would anyone ever subscribe or pay for or use it when they can just watch it for free via several other means. your not going to make much profit off of it to where you can use it as your only source of income like you are probably hoping for.

and towards not having internet.. well if they cant afford internet they probably cant afford satellite or cable tv either.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

7 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

why would anyone ever subscribe or pay for or use it when they can just watch it for free via several other means. your not going to make much profit off of it to where you can use it as your only source of income like you are probably hoping for.

Of course I will. I and Tegna will make HUGE profits form this ambitious project.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

A prank/troll attempt or being serious, it doesn't really matter.

This whole 'idea' is simply nonsense.

I'm not pranking, and I'm not a troll. I want to make my idea a reality when I get a job at WKYC.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

At least you got a lot of fantasy.

It's some serious business. WKYC will have SLG servers with minimodem. My company will also have contracts with Hauppage, OrbyTV, Eutelsat, and probably Microsoft to make my idea a reality.

• Haha 2

A satellite data stream sending game software and assets to a game console is a functional model.  The games are run in isolation on the console so there is no need for any type of return data path.  Second Life is an interactive system, not something with packaged content, nor is there a run at home Second Life server to go with the Second Life client.  OpenSimulator, and other virtual world systems that can be run in isolation on the user’s own hardware might be a better target for this project.  One can download regions and inventory from some creator libraries to be hosted locally on OpenSimulator.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.