Second Life merch

Zzevir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/22/2020 at 4:01 AM, Zzevir said:

Why there is no merch for Second Life by Linden Lab? Or maybe just I didn't came across it? 

You know what I mean the t-shirt and key chain stuff. 

I have a Linden Lab Cube!  I think from 2007 from their party in Brighton UK.   I think that was the start and end of Merch - I wish they would do more!!

• Like 2

I'm not much of a merch guy, I've never even bough a band T-shirt - but I don't know what LL would do for merch aside from mugs/T-shirts/hoodies with their logo on it. It's not really comparable to other 'video game' franchises; take Blizzard for example who've got everything from mugs, shirts, figurines, posters, socks, blankets, mouse pads, backpacks, plushies, cushions, towels, beer glasses, jackets, artbooks, caps, dog leashes, calendars, books, and even had a headset with the Horde/Alliance logos from the Warcraft franchise - and then there's the collector's editions which you laugh at when they're announced because 'who'd ever buy that tat for that kind of money?' and the next day you hear it's sold out.

As much as I love SL and LL in extension of that, I don't think that SL is a very high merchandising potential product. Either you've got to be like Disney and just have an enormous audience and merchandisable franchises (the merch revenue for Mickey Mouse alone is beyond silly), or you've got to have a franchise with a lore/story that you can pull from to generate merch (such as the Warcraft franchise), or just such an iconic art style of the video game that it'll be recognized for what it is just through that (such as the Minecraft merch). SL doesn't really have any of that, seeing as the vast majority of the content is user created - and then there's the question of whether the audience at all would be interested in buying any of it; as has been mentioned, not everyone want to let their RL friends/families know that they're in SL.

Then again .. If Discord can have a merch store (though it appears to have been down for 6 months), why not? 

10 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

thats not offical sl/ll merch as a certain individual may point out..

I know, but it's the best I will get 😅. Unless LL starts throwing out those T-Shirts and Beanies I think we have to design our own.

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

I'm not much of a merch guy, I've never even bough a band T-shirt - but I don't know what LL would do for merch aside from mugs/T-shirts/hoodies with their logo on it. It's not really comparable to other 'video game' franchises; take Blizzard for example who've got everything from mugs, shirts, figurines, posters, socks, blankets, mouse pads, backpacks, plushies, cushions, towels, beer glasses, jackets, artbooks, caps, dog leashes, calendars, books, and even had a headset with the Horde/Alliance logos from the Warcraft franchise - and then there's the collector's editions which you laugh at when they're announced because 'who'd ever buy that tat for that kind of money?' and the next day you hear it's sold out.

As much as I love SL and LL in extension of that, I don't think that SL is a very high merchandising potential product. Either you've got to be like Disney and just have an enormous audience and merchandisable franchises (the merch revenue for Mickey Mouse alone is beyond silly), or you've got to have a franchise with a lore/story that you can pull from to generate merch (such as the Warcraft franchise), or just such an iconic art style of the video game that it'll be recognized for what it is just through that (such as the Minecraft merch). SL doesn't really have any of that, seeing as the vast majority of the content is user created - and then there's the question of whether the audience at all would be interested in buying any of it; as has been mentioned, not everyone want to let their RL friends/families know that they're in SL.

Then again .. If Discord can have a merch store (though it appears to have been down for 6 months), why not? 

Could have multiple designs based on the development side of SL. Such as Logo with designer type such as Scripter, Animator, Builder. Designs for bloggers, LL logo, code designs, cube designs, animation, ruth, designs for different communities, gothic, anime, furry, medieval, linden bears, Torley inspired neon designs, ones referencing popular threads on the forums such as "Looking for Guy Linden". Phrases based around the forum. Could go one step further, Second Life inspired keyboard with pre set hotkeys for build, avatar panel, inventory etc. Idk stuff

39 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

but thats not official LL merch.. as a certain person will probably mention...

It's something LL could offer, but outsource. Like most other merch.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, animats said:

It's something LL could offer, but outsource. Like most other merch.

oh i understand but when i made a post about a possible place to get stuff from.. well.. you can read what happened.

out sourcing is actually a wise business approach for things like merch for some companies.

the point of my reply was there is a certain person, who might say.. if its not LL merch, its off topic!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I actually did come up with a design a year ago that I keep meaning to have printed xD. Nothing special and in fact I need to alter it and improve it but still. SL MERCH!! xD

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 20.33.53.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 20.36.01.png

That is just the kind of thing that Linden Lab could consider to produce themselves.  It displays their logo and looks good.

17 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

I would get a mug!!!

Would be down for a mug, too. Years ago I got in the situation where a gameing company gifted me one of their official office mugs with the companies logo on (along with a few other small things). Its super simple, but still one of my favorite mugs.

• Like 1

Eh branded things are overrated. I had an statue from a game once before. I paid 180 dollars for the game and statue and the box it came in. Got rid of it a few years later after I quit playing the game. No reason to hold on to it.. nostalgia.. overrated.. memories.. overrated.. memorabilia overrated. Dont need any of those things to actually have the memories or feelings or thoughts of that past time. in hindsight it was a waste of money for something that really had little to no meaning in the end.

18 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Eh branded things are overrated. I had an statue from a game once before. I paid 180 dollars for the game and statue and the box it came in. Got rid of it a few years later after I quit playing the game. No reason to hold on to it.. nostalgia.. overrated.. memories.. overrated.. memorabilia overrated. Dont need any of those things to actually have the memories or feelings or thoughts of that past time. in hindsight it was a waste of money for something that really had little to no meaning in the end.

You are such a ray of sunshine. If I ever feel negative and depressing I will stand next to you. And it will be fixed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

yep i am. i am as bright as the sun and just as hot to the touch. stand to close you might get burned.

Ok I will use an oven glove to touch you. 

also there is a joke with a black hole but I keep it to myself. 

• Haha 1

Do the Lindens walk around in plain white t-shirts saying, "Whassup coworkers. Wish we had our own company logo on a t-shirt".

I'm sure there are t-shirt making companies all over the bay area. They could get quotes for a t-shirt that says... "Second Life by Linden Lab a wholly owned subsidiary of the Waterfield Oberwager Investment Group LLC." Sounds snazzy. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Do the Lindens walk around in plain white t-shirts saying, "Whassup coworkers. Wish we had our own company logo on a t-shirt".

I'm sure there are t-shirt making companies all over the bay area. They could get quotes for a t-shirt that says... "Second Life by Linden Lab a wholly owned subsidiary of the Waterfield Oberwager Investment Group LLC." Sounds snazzy. 

No, you acronym, always acronym. SLLBWOIGLLC 😎 with a whole new slogan of "Dismantling your world" xD

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.