Why Do Creators Make Mesh Clothing Non-Rezzable?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have wondered this before. Today, I was role-playing with a friend. I was going to sit on the side of a pool and dangle my feet in the water. I emoted, "/me kicks off her shoes," detached my shoes, and dragged them from inventory to the pool deck. I was dismayed when they instantly disappeared. When I investigated, I found that they were non-rezzable.

Why would a creator do something that makes their product a little less useful to me and makes nothing better for them or anyone else? Am I missing something? Is there a reason for it?

I also have a closet in which I have mesh shoes lined up and mesh clothes hanging, another reason to want them to be rezzable.

19 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I have wondered this before. Today, I was role-playing with a friend. I was going to sit on the side of a pool and dangle my feet in the water. I emoted, "/me kicks off her shoes," detached my shoes, and dragged them from inventory to the pool deck. I was dismayed when they instantly disappeared. When I investigated, I found that they were non-rezzable.

Why would a creator do something that makes their product a little less useful to me and makes nothing better for them or anyone else? Am I missing something? Is there a reason for it?

I also have a closet in which I have mesh shoes lined up and mesh clothes hanging, another reason to want them to be rezzable.

Paranoia and/or control-freaks. Anything that someone might be able to do to steal, break, change, or re-purpose the product must be prevented or strictly controlled.

It doesn't protect the product from being stolen.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 11

It's pointless paranoia. It won't stop copybotting, as that can be done while the item is attached, and it won't stop anyone seeing who the real creator of an item is, as the item can also be inspected while worn. All it does is create inconvenience for paying customers. I have accidentally rezzed and lost a no copy gacha that contained one of those scripts, and I have since since considered such use to be maliciousness on the part of the creator.

• Like 7

That’s like asking why do creators box their stuff when selling on marketplace. You end up with a folder containing a box that you have to rez to be given a folder containing the items you purchased.

Creators are a weird breed. I find it best to just throw some nibbles into their mid life crisis bunkers once in a while and leave them to it

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Depending on the viewer* and the attachment, it can be tricky to select the worn item to see its contents. To get around this with "anti-rez" scripted items, simply go to a no-scripts sandbox and rez it there.

Any creator who thinks people should attach their stuff without seeing what's inside needs a good dose of Narcissist B-Gone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 8:16 AM, Jennifer Boyle said:

My theory is that they secretly hate having customers and try to do whatever they can to discourage people from purchasing their products.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I have the same issue with people who make items copy/no mod/no trans. Even when they do include some kind of hud to change the color I'd at least like an option to tint it a different shade. I was considering buying a mesh leather jacket but it had no permissions allowing me to deviate from the black/red/grey/green texture. You can mod your own clothing when you take it home from the shop. Why shouldn't you be able to do the same with your stuff in SL? 

Personally if I ever sold anything on the marketplace I'd make it full perms. That's how fed up I am with SL's permissions system. Once you buy something it should be YOURS. 

I mostly run into hairs that have no rezz - I mod my hair a lot, making parts glowy and stuff, or -if possible- delete parts I don't use, or frankenstein a few hairs together. No mod is my bane, but no-rezz is that annoying little itch on my back I can scratch myself, but I have to contort myself to do so, and it's just driving me bonkers sometimes. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Zidaya Zenovka said:

I have the same issue with people who make items copy/no mod/no trans. Even when they do include some kind of hud to change the color I'd at least like an option to tint it a different shade. I was considering buying a mesh leather jacket but it had no permissions allowing me to deviate from the black/red/grey/green texture. You can mod your own clothing when you take it home from the shop. Why shouldn't you be able to do the same with your stuff in SL? 

Personally if I ever sold anything on the marketplace I'd make it full perms. That's how fed up I am with SL's permissions system. Once you buy something it should be YOURS. 

Technically you never really own anything in today's world.   full perm still has a use license typically unless the creator has gpl''d it, which is rare.

21 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Technically you never really own anything in today's world.   full perm still has a use license typically unless the creator has gpl''d it, which is rare.

True, true. It's just a little frustrating to see so few options for male clothing that isn't abnormally oversexualized or cobbled together from the least-oversexualized feminine clothing you can find. It seems like every time I find a decent androgynous-leaning outfit it lacks mod options. 

On 6/11/2020 at 2:16 AM, Jennifer Boyle said:

agreed about control freaks..... it is just a power play. I will not knowingly purchase items with such scripts .

28 minutes ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Believe me, if you lined a nice closet with rezzed mesh clothing (which would look cool)  the LI on your parcel would be severely taxed.  Way more than your furniture!

That's no excuse to try to make rezzing the items impossible. Maybe the owner is even okay with that LI-cost.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Believe me, if you lined a nice closet with rezzed mesh clothing (which would look cool)  the LI on your parcel would be severely taxed.  Way more than your furniture!

That has nothing to do with why they put in the scripts to poof it.  And then spam your local with text shaming you for doing it.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 8:13 AM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

That’s like asking why do creators box their stuff when selling on marketplace. You end up with a folder containing a box that you have to rez to be given a folder containing the items you purchased.

Creators are a weird breed. I find it best to just throw some nibbles into their mid life crisis bunkers once in a while and leave them to it

And sometimes the box or carrier bag is so elaborate that you can't rez it in your on land because you don't have enough prim allowance left. I've had that happen in the old days when I only had a small plot of land. If something has to be packaged, then surely a simple box will do.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.