Removing/Changing the Title 'Advisor'

Sassy Kenin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From my understanding a title like that would mean that person is held to a higher standard while interacting with others in a continued higher standard, often this is not the observation from my experience. this might ruffle some feathers among others🤓.  the term 'Advisor' as some do not really seem to be advising in a way the title describes.

It has confused residents here for many years in believing they are moderators/mentors or acting on in a complicity on LL best behalf...that is a carry over from the old forum, in my opinion that creates social status exclusion, while a poor experience by a resident interacting with them, could be seen as a poor experience interacting with linden lab itself.

Maybe another terminology should be explored.

Edited by Sassy Kenin
Added grammar changes.
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Sassy Kenin said:

My understanding a title tike that would mean that person is held to a higher standard while interacting with others in a continued higher standard, often this is not the observation from my experience. this might ruffle some feathers among others🤓.  the term 'Advisor' as some do not really seem to be advising in a way the title describes.

It has confused residents here for many years in believing they are moderators/mentors or acting on in a complicity on LL best behalf...that is a carry over from the old forum in my opinion that creates social status exclusion while a poor experience by a resident interacting with them could be seen as a poor experience interacting with linden lab itself.

Well, in my capacity as Advisor, very rarely does a person seek me out because I have that "status" on these forums.  Most people seeking proper help, rather than just having banter on the General Discussions section, for example, would have the good sense to look at previous posts made by each Advisor, and see which one(s) could potentially give them the right assistance.

These titles mean very little in the big scheme of things.

Mostly, I believe, anyone who takes any notice of any kind of forums rankings would either go on post counts or word of mouth reputation.  

And anyone who has come to me for specific help is helped by me, if I can help, or I direct them to someone I know can give them the help they seek. 

And we all should seek help when we need it from the right people.

Edited by Marigold Devin

10 hours ago, Sassy Kenin said:

'Advisor'

i think it is a carry over from the previous forum software. The Advisor tag came from the number of upvotes a person received when replying to questions in the Answers forum of the old software. Not sure what the number was then to qualify for the tag.  Not sure if this is still applicable with the Answers section on this forum software which still has up voting capabilities

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i think it is a carry over from the previous forum software. The Advisor tag came from the number of upvotes a person received when replying to questions in the Answers forum of the old software. Not sure what the number was then to qualify for the tag.  Not sure if this is still applicable with the Answers section on this forum software which still has up voting capabilities

Thank you for expressing your viewpoint and for responding, Molly.

I was not able to edit the topic but will create a separate expanded topic.

• Like 1

If you are mistakenly viewing the advisor title as having anything whatsoever to do with some official status or capacity, that is your own issue. Linden Lab made it rather clear at one point that the only officials are those with the Last Name of Linden.

Furthermore every user - once they've made a certain number of posts - can change their title at will.

Oh yes and you do not get to determine when a thread is 'closed' - that is up to Linden Lab. You get to determine if you respond or not and you get to determine if a topic/thread is closed as far as you are concerned. From there, you can choose to respond or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

If you are mistakenly viewing the advisor title as having anything whatsoever to do with some official status or capacity, that is your own issue. Linden Lab made it rather clear at one point that the only officials are those with the Last Name of Linden.

Furthermore every user - once they've made a certain number of posts - can change their title at will.

Oh yes and you do not get to determine when a thread is 'closed' - that is up to Linden Lab. You get to determine if you respond or not and you get to determine if a topic/thread is closed as far as you are concerned. From there, you can choose to respond or not.

Threads closed it moved..Thanks😀

Edited by Sassy Kenin
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sassy Kenin said:

Not up to you - period. Want it closed? You'll need a Moderator for that. If you're going to go that route, do it without bothering to announce it - kind of like how one should be using the ignore function.

And no, not trying to be a jerk about it. It's just the way forums work - especially this one.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Sassy Kenin said:

I had to WONDER when I saw this "threads being moved" link that was NOT by a mod. 

So the thread hasn't really MOVED, it was just added to a long list of other things that seemingly have very little to do with THIS POST. Personally I think that the folks that EARNED the term "advisor" (even on the earlier rendition of these forums) deserves to keep the title.   But hey --- Just my opinion.    

A quick scan of the new thread isn't convincing me that many folks agree with changes.  :D. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 5/8/2020 at 3:17 PM, Sassy Kenin said:

From my understanding a title like that would mean that person is held to a higher standard while interacting with others in a continued higher standard, often this is not the observation from my experience. this might ruffle some feathers among others🤓.  the term 'Advisor' as some do not really seem to be advising in a way the title describes.

It has confused residents here for many years in believing they are moderators/mentors or acting on in a complicity on LL best behalf...that is a carry over from the old forum, in my opinion that creates social status exclusion, while a poor experience by a resident interacting with them, could be seen as a poor experience interacting with linden lab itself.

I agree 100% that the title "advisor" should be removed.

I recently asked a question in the answers section, and 3 "advisers" replied. The first one gave me the correct advice for my question, two other "advisers" used my question to make "clever" replies. One of them I got into a back and forth with where I had to show their interpretation of LL rules regarding land cutting and sales were entirely wrong.

Advisers are part of the reason I don't post in the forum any more.

Have a nice day everyone.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added words
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/10/2020 at 8:40 AM, Solar Legion said:

She's talking about the title that is under your picture not above it.  For most of us it says Resident, but those that spent a lot of time answering questions on the previous forums will typically have Advisor there.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

She's talking about the title that is under your picture not above it.  For most of us it says Resident, but those that spent a lot of time answering questions on the previous forums will typically have Advisor there.

I have never seen that particular bit say "Advisor". Mind that may be due to lack of attention but ...

That bit is still meaningless outside of it showing a Linden Lab employee.

Edited by Solar Legion

21 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

I have never seen that particular bit say "Advisor". Mind that may be due to lack of attention but ...

That bit is still meaningless outside of it showing a Linden Lab employee.

Yeah, scroll up to Chic's or Marigold's post.

But, yeah, totally meaningless.  Then again, we get a lot of really clueless noobs here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I recently asked a question in the answers section, and 3 "advisers" replied. The first one gave me the correct advice for my question, two other "advisers" used my question to make "clever" replies. One of them I got into a back and forth with where I had to show their interpretation of LL rules regarding land cutting and sales were entirely wrong.

I think it is a darn shame that you are no longer posting. I have rather a fond memory of being with you in world investigating a giant pen1s (not a very accurate looking one, but it had showed up on the world map).  

As for "advisors" being a bit "clever", gosh I hope (I think) I have never been like that with anyone. I mean, now I have veered over to "the dark side" of General Discussions, but certainly over on Answers I would try to remain helpful.

The titles mean b4gger all to me, it was just when we migrated from the old forums to the new, I guess Linden Lab had to keep us sweet, because to take our post counts down to zero really belittled all the effort and time we had spent back then assisting other residents.  

Personally speaking, as I have not been able to advise on much, as I took rather a long break from the forums, because of ill health, I am not up to speed with things. However, people such as Rolig Loon, who is my go to when I need to catch up with something, she deserves much more than a crummy Advisor tag! To me she is a total VIP!!!

11 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Thank you for expressing your viewpoint and for responding, BilliJo.

Edited by Sassy Kenin
Error 404
  • Like 1

Perhaps a much less dramatic, less epic and less "I'm personally offended by this" attitude wouldn't have hurt to bring the message across. 

Like, "Hey LL, I have the impression that the forum title "advisor" might be misleading people, especially new ones. They might get the impression that they are actually talking to a Linden or someone officially approved. Could you please consider changing the title to something more neutral? That would be nice, thank you!".

But the "the forum is dying because of this!" route is at least something to laugh about. ☺️

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

(i could be i have the wrong person in mind, in that case sorry) but
(The risk for) the removal of posts in the past and temp bans had no role i guess?

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Perhaps a much less dramatic, less epic and less "I'm personally offended by this" attitude wouldn't have hurt to bring the message across. 

Like, "Hey LL, I have the impression that the forum title "advisor" might be misleading people, especially new ones. They might get the impression that they are actually talking to a Linden or someone officially approved. Could you please consider changing the title to something more neutral? That would be nice, thank you!".

But the "the forum is dying because of this!" route is at least something to laugh about. ☺️

Thank you for expressing your viewpoint and for responding, Lillith.

Taking a quick look at some of the more prolific posters, I'm going to admit I don't really understand the point of the title "Adviser." Some people who likely deserve it -- i.e., people who have spent a lot of time helping others in Answers and elsewhere -- have it, like Pam, Perrie, and Rhonda. Others like Rolig and Valerie, who surely merit it, don't.

I think it might have had some value were it applied in a more logical manner than appears to have been the case, but it doesn't seem to have that going for it, and I'll agree that it is, at least potentially, misleading and confusing, especially to new people here.

(That said, I don't see anyway with the title who probably doesn't deserve it.)

• Like 2

The first time I noticed I was "Advisor", I could not understand why. I do not help people more than others that has "Resident" under their name. I thought is was embarrassing to have that. I have stopped to think about it, and does not notice anymore if it is "Resident" or "Advisor".

It should be removed, it is pointless. And as @BilliJo Aldrinsay, it is no guarantee that it is a correct reply. It is really bad if people look at the profile and think "He/she is an Advisor, so it has to be correct".

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

it's a plain "if userA has ! numbers of upvotes, give them title x" scripting result.

this is my understanding

while nobody can be right every time in answering every question about a environment as complex as SL, a person can be right enough times for others to up-vote their right answers enough times to reach whatever the threshold  is

Edited by Mollymews
doube question
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.