Removing/Changing the Title 'Advisor'

Sassy Kenin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:26 PM, Marigold Devin said:

Well, in my capacity as Advisor, very rarely does a person seek me out because I have that "status" on these forums.  Most people seeking proper help, rather than just having banter on the General Discussions section, for example, would have the good sense to look at previous posts made by each Advisor, and see which one(s) could potentially give them the right assistance.

These titles mean very little in the big scheme of things.

Mostly, I believe, anyone who takes any notice of any kind of forums rankings would either go on post counts or word of mouth reputation.  

And anyone who has come to me for specific help is helped by me, if I can help, or I direct them to someone I know can give them the help they seek. 

And we all should seek help when we need it from the right people.

Yippee, my wish was granted. Advisor to Resident. As it should be. 

Well half of it. as I still believe Rolig should have a higher status after all the genuine help she has given over the years.

Edited by Marigold Devin

On 5/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, Sassy Kenin said:

From my understanding a title like that would mean that person is held to a higher standard while interacting with others in a continued higher standard, often this is not the observation from my experience. this might ruffle some feathers among others🤓.  the term 'Advisor' as some do not really seem to be advising in a way the title describes.

It has confused residents here for many years in believing they are moderators/mentors or acting on in a complicity on LL best behalf...that is a carry over from the old forum, in my opinion that creates social status exclusion, while a poor experience by a resident interacting with them, could be seen as a poor experience interacting with linden lab itself.

Maybe another terminology should be explored.

It looks like LL has now removed the 'Advisor' designation.

ETA:  Or apparently not.  Hmmm

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:
25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It looks like LL has now removed the 'Advisor' designation.

Not altogether, there are still some Advisors. 

Well I'll be darned.  I wonder why they only did some.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I just noted (and wondered) as I am now "resident". The only other title I have seen is "Linden".   HMMMM. Are there STILL some that say ADVISOR?   

Apparently not.

Looks like I lost two jobs of late LOL.   

image.png.7be6b67b8e3e3c9e8f0c71072a40d8d0.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Maybe some of us requested it and got our wish granted. 

Maybe some of us just blotted our copy book by talking about t1ts and w1llies while not really helping people any more at all (I don't know how to do anything any more - and all the ghosts have gone).

Edited by Marigold Devin

31 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I just noted (and wondered) as I am now "resident". The only other title I have seen is "Linden".   HMMMM. Are there STILL some that say ADVISOR?   

Apparently not.

Looks like I lost two jobs of late LOL.   

image.png.7be6b67b8e3e3c9e8f0c71072a40d8d0.png

No. For some reason Rolig didn't get Advisor - I never understand why. She's tops. There are still some that say Advisor. (See page one of this thread for advisors.)

Maybe Linden Lab having a little game - as they know everyone has got "lock down madness" to a degree. 

Maybe. o.O 

Edited by Marigold Devin

29 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Apparently not.

There actually are.  You can do a Member search and not actually supply a search term, then unselect the other Groups.  It returns 45 people.

image.png.d692b683c1f565f03af98f3e252ee070.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Since Chic was surprised that she no longer has that title, it seems to be more than just that some folks requested the removal.

Yes. Something is going on for several to be 'demoted' - but some still are Advisors.

Does make you/me/us wonder what's motivated LL to do this now. 

I feel freer somehow. I can say t1ts and w1llies and post photos of voodoo dolls in boxes without feeling like I have to maintain some kind of decorum! Yipp-flippin-eee. It's like taking my 18 hour girdle off.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Apparently not.

not sure what criteria is used... strange... perhaps it changes after a relog or so?...  i'll try and edit

efd32a7fca6c4b754d8af08828df57da.png

[edit]

ehm no..still here ( no real difference anyway..i'll help when i feel the need and be grumpy when i feel so)
e5582c58dedef6862843a8a4b9ca78f8.png

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not sure what criteria is used... strange... perhaps it changes after a relog or so?...  i'll try and edit

efd32a7fca6c4b754d8af08828df57da.png

[edit]

ehm no..still here ( no real difference anyway..i'll help when i feel the need and be grumpy when i feel so)
e5582c58dedef6862843a8a4b9ca78f8.png

That is SO STRANGE but thanks for posting. The original criteria was linked to the old forums and the ANSWERS section and apparently (long time ago) how many answers  people liked? We don't see much in the ANSWERS section these days (or at least I don't click on many of them ) so perhaps folks that USED to be advisors and that don't answer all that many questions there these days got removed.  A mystery I guess. OR maybe they just got partway through the purge --- who knows? LOL.   

• Like 1

Perhaps its because LL has finally decide to hold some people more accountable as to who really deserves it or not in their eyes. Be too much an arse and you might loose it for you give LL and SL a bad name. Something they need no help at because of how mainstream media still see's SL for the most part.

Just because it was grandfathered to some because of a forum change in the past densest mean they really deserved it or are entitled to have it regardless if they think its fair or not.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

That is SO STRANGE but thanks for posting. The original criteria was linked to the old forums and the ANSWERS section and apparently (long time ago) how many answers  people liked? We don't see much in the ANSWERS section these days (or at least I don't click on many of them ) so perhaps folks that USED to be advisors and that don't answer all that many questions there these days got removed.  A mystery I guess. OR maybe they just got partway through the purge --- who knows? LOL.   

That makes sense to me. I took a hiatus for several years from forums, and when I came back I found I was unable to answer many of the questions in Answers, and so found myself playing on the other side of the park, mainly in General Discussions where posts counts don't count and didn't count on the older version of the forums. It was only when people actually provided some helpful information that those post counts counted.

However, the puzzling thing for me is some of the people who still do provide excellent support have lost their Advisor tag. I don't believe it meant anything anyway, but maybe Linden Lab are testing this theory, collating some statistics, seeing how useful having an Advisor tag is.

It is - let's face it - time the forums were given another face lift, it has been a few years since the last one.

21 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

We don't see much in the ANSWERS section these days (or at least I don't click on many of them ) so perhaps folks that USED to be advisors and that don't answer all that many questions there these days got removed

i don't think this was the criteria. People like Lindal Kidd and Rolig Loon as active in the Answers section today as they have always been down the years

it just seems that some Random Linden decided to arbitrarily remove the Advisor tag from some accounts and not others for no reason at all

is the kind of randomly stupid thing that some Linden with nothing better to do, and probably without any consultation at all with any other staff, just went and did, just because they had forum edit capabilities

it could be that they missed some people. Which is stupid in itself. As it shows there was no plan other than delete the ones you (Random Linden) can be bothered finding. No announcement either. Not announcing changes is not a plan. Is just random behaviour

• Like 4

I haven't read all this stuff because it's just too long. The initial rant was just that, but yeah, the LL intervention has thrown gas on the fire, which was a non event until then.

If you want to know what being an Advisor feels like......just put on a Hi Vis vest at a public event, and you won't even make the toilet.

I appear to be Resident now, but I can't remember what I was before. I don't think it was Advisor, but I don't think it was Resident either. Maybe Advanced Resident, was that a title? I really can't remember. 

If I have been demoted, it doesn't bother me. I am definitely not sufficiently knowledgeable about the modern day SL, or active enough inworld, to deserve any kind of status that suggests you can ask me for help with mesh or location recommendations. I wouldn't want any kind of official advisory status anyway. Sooner or later a Gorean would be asking me for help and I don't want to have to pretend I give a monkey's about what any of them want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I appear to be Resident now, but I can't remember what I was before. I don't think it was Advisor, but I don't think it was Resident either. Maybe Advanced Resident, was that a title? I really can't remember. 

Besides resident or advisor it used to be advanced member. if I remember correctly.

if you want to see who still has advisor go to this link advisors 

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Besides resident or advisor it used to be advanced member. if I remember correctly.

"Advanced Member" is the Rank that is displayed just under your name.  It starts with "New Member" until a certain amount of posts have been reached, and then it defaults to "Advanced Member".  After 500 posts, that becomes a value you can change in your profile settings. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Moira Timmerman said:

"Advanced Member" is the Rank that is displayed just under your name.  It starts with "New Member" until a certain amount of posts have been reached, and then it defaults to "Advanced Member".  After 500 posts, that becomes a value you can change in your profile settings. 

your correct for that is still there. which is still misleading because it doesnt really mean the person knows what they are talking about more than someone who has been on the forums less time.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.