Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

What kind of death cult has been running this country?

The kind of idiots who don't realize how monstrously stupid and immoral achieving herd immunity through infecting everyone is. But that's the kind of thing we should expect from a government whose pandemic response is run by a young earth creationist, a bugchaser and a president who checked out months ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If you think only one side is extremely dangerous, you might want to open the other eye.

Some people come to this conclusion  from experience and some get it second hand.

See, i just posted up about something i rememberd seeing from early on..

That's all it took for you to go on the attack and try to insult me and break me down. That's fine by me really. 

You claim it's insulting to you and I'm tearing you down for pointing out that Trump is not an ordinary conservative, and that this is not a typical election where the left battles the right?

What do I have to say, what additional links need to be provided, by myself and others across these months of discussion, for you to understand that our very Democracy has been at stake, and for you to comprehend the harm that would ensue if this were allowed to continue -- to understand that Trump is an authoritarian and not your typical conservative president?

This frightens me, you frighten me, because you're unable to see the danger. When I read your comments I feel danger. I feel scared for you, and for all the people that would be harmed if Democracy would die.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:
19 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I was just watching earlier a nurse describing some of her patients dying from Covid, protesting they don't have Covid as they die in some kind of denial fit, wasting the last moments they could be face-timing with family.

Yeah, I saw this bubbling to the top of Twitter a couple days ago:

(Must click through the thread to see it all.)

This is what baffles me though. Doesn't everybody know personally and trust somebody in medicine? A doctor or a nurse or a nursing assistant or an orderly or somebody? Who are the COVID deniers who don't get a stern talking-to by their medical friend(s)?

At this point there can be hardly a hospital in the US that doesn't at least have a contingency plan for refrigerated trailers in the parking lot.

It pains me that the orange authoritarian has two more months in power to shovel people into the modern day gas chambers, the hospitals with morgue-trucks parked out front in increasing numbers, and we can do nothing about it.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You claim it's insulting to you and I'm tearing you down for pointing out that Trump is not an ordinary conservative, and that this is not a typical election where the left battles the right?

What do I have to say, what additional links need to be provided, by myself and others across these months of discussion, for you to understand that our very Democracy has been at stake, and for you to comprehend the harm that would ensue if this were allowed to continue -- to understand that Trump is an authoritarian and not your typical conservative president?

This frightens me, you frighten me, because you're unable to see the danger. When I read your comments I feel danger. I feel scared for you, and for all the people that would be harmed if Democracy would die.

All I did was mention that both sides were doing it.. That set you off then led to your pet peeve..

You don't need to be scared for me, I'm a big girl.. Don't worry, I won't be scaring you anymore either..

Our dancing is over.

• Like 7

I find this article to be quite useful in figuring out what is true or not about the various Covid-19 related claims.  Originally created in late March and updated regularly -- by USA Today, which does a pretty decent job of keeping bias out of it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/03/23/coronavirus-fact-check-whats-true-and-whats-false-covid-19/2898043001/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I find this article to be quite useful in figuring out what is true or not about the various Covid-19 related claims.  Originally created in late March and updated regularly -- by USA Today, which does a pretty decent job of keeping bias out of it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/03/23/coronavirus-fact-check-whats-true-and-whats-false-covid-19/2898043001/

I have to disagree with you on USA Today's bias. Once starts considering who they quote and running the math on their claims, I think, the bias is clear.

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

All I did was mention that both sides were doing it.. That set you off then led to your pet peeve..

You don't need to be scared for me, I'm a big girl.. Don't worry, I won't be scaring you anymore either..

This is not about one incident.
Repeatedly (over many months) you have pointed out the faults of the opposing side too when someone claims Trump and his Minions did something wrong, and you have used this excuse to say there is no difference between the parties and they are equally bad. You miss the fact that there is a far greater preponderance of the behavior and so a far greater danger on one side (in this case, what amounts to some sort of a 'movement' among the Trump cult which discourages mask-wearing).

You said: "If you think only one side is extremely dangerous, you might want to open the other eye." But... I have never said only one side is dangerous -- I'm only pointing out the far, far greater danger inherent in the side that wants to perpetuate authoritarianism, and that made a concerted effort to discourage mask-wearing and even the acceptance that Covid is a reality and actually a danger!

Edited by Luna Bliss

37 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

USA Today's bias. Once starts considering who they quote and running the math on their claims, I think, the bias is clear.

According to this fact-checking website USA Today falls very slightly to the left of center. But then we need to put this fact-checking website through an evaluation too!  lol

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/usa-today-2/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

According to this fact-checking website USA Today falls very slightly to the left of center. But then we need to put this fact-checking website through an evaluation too!  lol

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/usa-today-2/

I'm no expert on the subject, but checking this site's descriptions of a number of news sources (CNN, Fox, BBC, CBC) suggests to me that they're pretty good -- which is of course to say that their evaluations of those sources pretty closely correspond with my own perceptions.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Sentence-Verb Agreement fault -2%
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I have to disagree with you on USA Today's bias. Once starts considering who they quote and running the math on their claims, I think, the bias is clear.

No news source is completely bias-free --- not sure it's possible actually.  However, USA Today does tend to stay pretty close to the middle.  There will always be articles or references that lean a bit one way or the other, but the majority of their stuff is pretty darn close to middle of the road. When they do reference things that are very obviously leaning one way, they usually try to give an opposite side view also.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

No news source is completely bias-free --- not sure it's possible actually.  However, USA Today does tend to stay pretty close to the middle.  There will always be articles or references that lean a bit one way or the other, but the majority of their stuff is pretty darn close to middle of the road. When they do reference things that are very obviously leaning one way, they usually try to give an opposite side view also.

The biggest giveaway for me tends to be the loaded and value-laden headlines. Every new source -- well, most of them -- have editorials and columnists who will most probably slant in one direction or another, and it's not hard to shunt those off to the side. What most matters to me is that their factual reporting is comprehensive and sound, and not skewed by language.

CNN is an interesting case in point. I find CNN really annoyingly biased in their coverage -- they briefly had a headline a few days ago that coupled the world "UnAmerican" with Trump's name, and just had me rolling my eyes. Their bias is probably almost as pronounced as Fox New's . . . BUT (and the site above actually suggests this) their factual reporting isn't terrible (although not as good as others). But you have to peel off the charged rhetoric to get to it.

Mostly, for stories about US politics, I rely on the BBC and CBC (Canada's version of the BBC), which do lean somewhat left, but not as badly as CNN, and which rate very high on the "factual" information. It also helps, I think, to get an outside perspective on a country's politics: I find the BBC's coverage of Canadian stories, for instance, very good.

39 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Mostly, for stories about US politics, I rely on the BBC and CBC (Canada's version of the BBC), which do lean somewhat left, but not as badly as CNN, and which rate very high on the "factual" information. It also helps, I think, to get an outside perspective on a country's politics: I find the BBC's coverage of Canadian stories, for instance, very good.

I read BBC a lot - because of those reasons:  They are fairly factual and outside the US.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

38 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

She's awesomesauce.

And now I'll have "Jolene" running through my head for the rest of the day.

I met her once - accidentally, to be truthful - and got a picture  We were at an event (a grilled cheese sandwich tasting event) and noticed a small crowd gathering where some pictures were being taken.  At first, my husband and I thought it was a look-alike, but there she was - Dolly in the flesh.  There had not been anything published about her being at that event - it was a surprise to everyone there.

• Like 3

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

I met her once - accidentally, to be truthful - and got a picture  We were at an event (a grilled cheese sandwich tasting event) and noticed a small crowd gathering where some pictures were being taken.  At first, my husband and I thought it was a look-alike, but there she was - Dolly in the flesh.  There had not been anything published about her being at that event - it was a surprise to everyone there.

We need a "green with envy" response emoji.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If only for this:

28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

a grilled cheese sandwich tasting event

We've gone quite a few times, but not this year:  http://www.denvergrilledcheesefest.com/ 

We have lots of little festivals like that every year here -- one for burgers, one for tacos, and more that I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We've gone quite a few times, but not this year:  http://www.denvergrilledcheesefest.com/ 

We have lots of little festivals like that every year here -- one for burgers, one for tacos, and more that I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

Life without cheese has no meaning. Cheese is the reason I'm not vegan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

This is what baffles me though. Doesn't everybody know personally and trust somebody in medicine? A doctor or a nurse or a nursing assistant or an orderly or somebody? Who are the COVID deniers who don't get a stern talking-to by their medical friend(s)?

The medical professions have been warning us about the excesses of our lifestyles and how to protect ourselves from them for thousands of years. In that way Covid is really no different then any other potential life threatening hazard. 

A few years ago after an incident with my heart, I attended a program of an exercise regime combined with classes on what constituted a good heart healthy diet. I was surprised with how little was being suggested by the nutritionists as it amounted to little more them emphasizing the basic food groups and how much to eat per serving rather than what foods were best and which to avoid.

When I asked the nursing coordinator about it after a few classes, her response was that studies proved that most people would revert to their old lifestyles within a few months, not out of being actively rebellious but simply because it is what they knew and were comfortable with. Doctors and nurses see what happens when people don't follow safety protocols but for the majority of the population, these diseases are invisible and come down to no more than numbers on a stats page, regardless of how often they have it on the nightly news.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 11:02 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

She has one & only one view of the world and any that see it differently are evil creatures in her eyes.

That reminds me of a saying they have about what you wind up with when you sober up a drunken horsethief. The response is a sober horsethief, nothing else changes. In the same way what do you wind up with when you take Christ out of a christian fundamentalist. The response is a fundy who like the horsethief will be looking for something to replace that missing element with. For ex fundamentalists and evangelicals it seems to often be making a religion out of politics, atheism and/or scientism so they can continue to carve up the world in black and white, good and evil.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 3:25 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Walmart just changed their nationwide policy to require those claiming a medical condition to at least wear a face shield.  While not as good as a mask, it is still much better than nothing.

I wear a face shield when I go out into the production area now.. We have some really nice ones too.. We've had them the whole time even  before there was any virus.. They are mostly to keep metal from blowing in someones face or to slow down molten metal..

I only have to wear it for a few minutes, maybe 20 at the most at a time, so it's not too bad.. But someone would pretty much have to hurl on you to give you something.. hehehe

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I wear a face shield when I go out into the production area now.. We have some really nice ones too.. We've had them the whole time even  before there was any virus.. They are mostly to keep metal from blowing in someones face or to slow down molten metal..

I only have to wear it for a few minutes, maybe 20 at the most at a time, so it's not too bad.. But someone would pretty much have to hurl on you to give you something.. hehehe

The shields have been shown to be better at protecting you from others, but also shown to not protect others from you quite as well as a mask -- because you could sneeze/cough/whatever and the droplets would still fall out below the shield.  That is why many places require a mask rather than just a face shield. The airlines initially allowed just a face shield, but now all require a mask, either with the shield or instead of the shield.  Colorado initially required a mask or shield and now requires a mask - even though there are still a few places where I'll see the employees wearing just the face shield.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.