Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/18/2020 at 5:53 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

We have only eaten at a restaurant once since this started - at a steakhouse to get my free birthday dinner back in late Sept. - but I'm still confused as to why restaurant restrictions keep reducing at each level when retail shopping doesn't change.

I think it's because you can't eat while wearing a mask.

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Saw this today, regarding what order people will be able to get the vaccine.  My guess is that the ability to move into the next Phase will depend upon the availability of doses.  At this point, based upon the statements by Pfizer, Phase 1a is expected to start sometime next month.

image.thumb.png.a8edd61805502c0b21e8480979f50df0.png

I'll either be in Phase 1b or Phase 4. The way things go for me, even though I do have 2 chronic conditions, I'll get passed over until Phase 4. If I live that long.

On 11/19/2020 at 3:44 PM, Gage Wirefly said:

Off topic perhaps , but how do we feel about a (hypothetical) mandatory COVID vaccine?

I don't know :/

IF it really works, with no side effects, great. But I don't know who to believe anymore...governments and companies tell so many lies. I would say "After you...!"

On 11/19/2020 at 10:44 AM, Gage Wirefly said:

Off topic perhaps , but how do we feel about a (hypothetical) mandatory COVID vaccine?

If the vaccine were less effective, it might need to be mandatory because it would only protect anyone to the extent the entire population gets vaccinated. If however it really is 95% effective, we might be able to afford the luxury of letting individuals decide whether to get the vaccine, and those who decide not to be vaccinated have (almost) only their own fate at stake. "Almost" because there's the 5% of the vaccinated who won't be protected* plus some who'll be allergic to the vaccine carrier medium or otherwise unable to take it.

Probably others besides me have recently re-read the Wikipedia article about the 1976 swine flu outbreak and vaccination program. There are both weird coincidences of timing -- early spring outbreak, rapid vaccine development just before a lame duck president (Ford) leaves office -- and stark differences from now in both the diseases and the vaccines. But re-reading it I was struck by the fact that the supposed side-effect that caused the vaccination program to be halted, Guillain-Barré Syndrome, may have never been caused by the vaccine at all, and the really scary way the world came to believe it was linked: Doctors who had heard reports that it may be linked and who saw Guillain-Barré in patients they knew to be vaccinated probably disproportionately reported the syndrome in those patients, creating a reporting bias in the data.

Are we smart enough not to repeat that same error today, and amplify the misinformation through social media?

* Do we know if those the vaccine fails to protect will be able to know they aren't protected, like from a reliably negative antigen test perhaps? If so, they might be able to try again, perhaps with a different vaccine, or at least know to take special precautions.

• Like 2

My local council has said that there are those testing positive with atypical symptoms so it wants others with one or more of these symptoms to be vaccinated.  The list includes a sore throat and being more tired than usual.  So, that's just about everyone isn't it?  What does this say about the quality of testing so far?

49 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

My local council has said that there are those testing positive with atypical symptoms so it wants others with one or more of these symptoms to be vaccinated.  The list includes a sore throat and being more tired than usual.  So, that's just about everyone isn't it?  What does this say about the quality of testing so far?

Are they saying they want the people vaccinated if they have tested negative for the virus?

If they have symptoms they should be tested, and if positive I wouldn't think they would want them getting vaccinated.. I don't believe it would do them any good..

It's late , so I may be misunderstanding what I'm reading.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

There are those of of who have compromised immune systems who can't get vaccinations. My doctor won't even approve a flu shot for me because last time I had one, I ended up in the hospital. This being the case, I don't see how a mandatory vaccine would be practical, but I really hope anyone who can get the vaccine would do so. Doctors have always told me that the more people who are vaccinated, the safer those of us with compromised immune systems are too.

I would hope this would be the case with Covid too. I've been really hoping that my doctor will actually say that this particular vaccine is safe for me to take once it is released for public use.

58 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Are they saying they want the people vaccinated if they have tested negative for the virus?

If they have symptoms they should be tested, and if positive I wouldn't think they would want them getting vaccinated.. I don't believe it would do them any good..

It's late , so I may be misunderstanding what I'm reading.. hehehe

They want people to be tested who haven't already been tested but have symptoms such as a sore throat and being unusually tired.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

There are those of of who have compromised immune systems who can't get vaccinations. My doctor won't even approve a flu shot for me because last time I had one, I ended up in the hospital. This being the case, I don't see how a mandatory vaccine would be practical, but I really hope anyone who can get the vaccine would do so. Doctors have always told me that the more people who are vaccinated, the safer those of us with compromised immune systems are too.

I would hope this would be the case with Covid too. I've been really hoping that my doctor will actually say that this particular vaccine is safe for me to take once it is released for public use.

I saw this news item today that might be of interest to you. 

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

My local council has said that there are those testing positive with atypical symptoms so it wants others with one or more of these symptoms to be vaccinated. 

You mean they're to be tested, right, not vaccinated? (Otherwise I too am confused.)

About that monoclonal antibody treatment for folks who can't get the vaccine: That's a great use-case for that treatment. I remember back when the prospects of a vaccine were very uncertain, it seemed monoclonal antibodies might be the next best hope for everybody. It's also the same experimental therapy used on Trump (in addition to the Remdesivir antiviral which the WHO now says has no apparent benefit).

It's bad here in California the news said this morning.  We have one person sick in our building who is quarantined right now and has meals left outside her room.  We are all being tested once a week.  Lockdown should be put in place as a curfew after 10 o'clock at night isn't going to do any good.  I don't like my government, which makes it even worse.  If I could leave America, I would.  And, I mean that sincerely.  This country has acted inhumane to it's people.  And, it's not Trump.  Trump's been telling Congress to get it done for MONTHS.  It's Pelosi and McConnell who are the most inhumane human beings on this planet right now.  And, Pelosi and McConnell have adjourned for holiday again for about the 4th time since July.  We have to have these two, Pelosi and McConnell for another four years under Biden and I'm not sure how that happened...?  I never would have voted for either of them the way they have treated us since July in what could be described as pure abandonment of their own people.  Trump has been ready to sign for a long, long time.  It's not Trump.  It's our congress and we have to have these two, Pelosi and McConnell, for another four years.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

It's bad here in California the news said this morning.  We have one person sick in our building who is quarantined right now and has meals left outside her room.  We are all being tested once a week.  Lockdown should be put in place as a curfew after 10 o'clock at night isn't going to do any good.  I don't like my government, which makes it even worse.  If I could leave America, I would.  And, I mean that sincerely.  This country has acted inhumane to it's people.  And, it's not Trump.  Trump's been telling Congress to get it done for MONTHS.  It's Pelosi and McConnell who are the most inhumane human beings on this planet right now.  

Sorry to ear that but after you said that the fault is not on trump but on Pelosi it shows you dont know any about what is going on there since the beginning of the crisis!

The truth is that trump and GOP Senators and Governors criminal negligence lead to all.

I guess the more they kill the more they will be loved by some!

34 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

You mean they're to be tested, right, not vaccinated? (Otherwise I too am confused.)

About that monoclonal antibody treatment for folks who can't get the vaccine: That's a great use-case for that treatment. I remember back when the prospects of a vaccine were very uncertain, it seemed monoclonal antibodies might be the next best hope for everybody. It's also the same experimental therapy used on Trump (in addition to the Remdesivir antiviral which the WHO now says has no apparent benefit).

That's all stock market manipulation.  Stock market manipulation will be going on for quite some time just as it always does.  

6 minutes ago, foneco Zuzu said:

The truth is that trump and GOP Senators and Governors criminal negligence lead to all.

It's not Trump.  He's tweeted and said he's ready to sign but Pelosi and McConnell have to reach a deal first and present the president with the 'act' (this is what a rescue package for America would be called) so he can sign.  He cannot sign anything unless Congress reaches a deal and presents it to the president to sign.   Trump's been saying for months that he would sign an even bigger one and tweeted it over several months.  It's Pelosi and McConnell and it's said in regards to those two, it's not going to be much better under Biden.  But, should certain people be brought up on criminal negligence of their own people, yes!  And, I wish the U.N. could intervene here somehow and press charges.

Edited by FairreLilette

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

It's not Trump.  He's tweeted and said he's ready to sign but Pelosi and McConnell have to reach a deal first and present the president with the 'act' (this is what a rescue package for America would be called) so he can sign.  He cannot sign anything unless Congress reaches a deal and presents it to the president to sign.   Trump's been saying for months that he would sign an even bigger one and tweeted it over several months.  It's Pelosi and McConnell and it's said in regards to those two, it's not going to be much better under Biden.  

Rest my case in how the Cod Virus crisis was turned into a political flag.

The results of the Elections show clearly in whom the voters trusted to deal with the crisis.

That's all stock market manipulation.  Stock market manipulation will be going on for quite some time just as it always does.  

Which part? The vaccines? The monoclonal antibodies? The disappointment with Remdesivir?

I'm guessing the Remdesivir. It's worth noting that antivirals are notorious for failing to show much in vivo effectiveness despite promising in vitro effects, so yet another failure would be far from surprising.

49 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

You're right, I meant to say tested, not vaccinated.  No wonder it was confusing!  A different virus has me in its grip. :|

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Which part? The vaccines? The monoclonal antibodies? The disappointment with Remdesivir?

I'm guessing the Remdesivir. It's worth noting that antivirals are notorious for failing to show much in vivo effectiveness despite promising in vitro effects, so yet another failure would be far from surprising.

All of those are news that have an effect on stock prices.  People buy and sell on rumor all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Remdesivir suddenly gets FDA approval but probably suddenly as a part of a "cocktail" but that would be 'after' the price plummets, of course.  So, those 'in the know' can buy it cheaper.

9 minutes ago, foneco Zuzu said:

The results of the Elections show clearly in whom the voters trusted to deal with the crisis.

We can trust Biden only so far as he has to come up against the wall of McConnell (Republican).  Biden can't just do stuff.  He has to wait for Congress to make the acts and then sign them.   This is why they are called "acts of Congress".  We are waiting for an act from Congress since July!    

Edited by FairreLilette

We can trust Biden only so far as he has to come up against the wall of McConnell (Republican).  Biden can't just do stuff.  He has to wait for Congress to make the acts and then sign them.   This is why they are called "acts of Congress".  We are waiting for an act from Congress since July!    

We couldn't have had a worse year for a pandemic to land here.. An Election year..

If it wasn't an election year, they would have passed that package months ago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

We couldn't have had a worse year for a pandemic to land here.. An Election year..

If it wasn't an election year, they would have passed that package months ago.

I said that at one time, Ceka...but now I'm not even so sure.  But, all I do know, is we have to deal with Pelosi and McConnell for another four years!  I've been saying it's inhumane.  Schools in New York City have shut down just last week; parents can't leave their kids alone.  How are they going to afford food if they don't go to work?  Or do they risk just leaving their kids at home.  It's been since July Congress is attempting to reach a deal but cannot and now another holiday for them after all their Summer in the Hamptons holidays.  

I said that at one time, Ceka...but now I'm not even so sure.  But, all I do know, is we have to deal with Pelosi and McConnell for another four years!  I've been saying it's inhumane.  Schools in New York City have shut down just last week; parents can't leave their kids alone.  How are they going to afford food if they don't go to work?  Or do they risk just leaving their kids at home.  It's been since July Congress is attempting to reach a deal but cannot and now another holiday for them after all their Summer in the Hamptons holidays.  

July 31st was the deadline to pass it and they have been playing political games with the American peoples live the whole way..

Not only was it the stimulus check, but also the unemployment.. Now they have messed around for so long that they would need to give a much larger check..

people haven't been able to afford food this whole time and are homeless because of the pussyfooting around..

Also evictions are going to be coming back soon for those that haven't been evicted yet that rent and haven't been able to pay it.. I believe that happens in January if I'm not mistaken. I know it's soon.

Neither one would sit down with the other this whole time.. Now that the election is over Pelosi is wanting  to sit down with Mitch..

Both sides were more worried about how they looked for the up coming election than they did about the American people.. They made that as plain as day..

Yet they still went on vacation after vacation..

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Neither one would sit down with the other this whole time.. Now that the election is over Pelosi is wanting  to sit down with Mitch..

Both sides were more worried about how they looked for the up coming election than they did about the American people.. They made that as plain as day..

Yet they still went on vacation after vacation..

Yeah, they did want to be re-elected...it's something I will never forget.  And, just so other's know, the "Mitch" Ceka is speaking about is the "McConnell" I am speaking about.  It's Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell who have behaved horribly.  We are in a state of emergency - HELLO?  Maybe we should all start tweeting them that.  Emergencies don't care about holidays.  

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.