Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My favourite is that there is at least one legacy name for residents -- Swee*****er -- that gets censored, even if you are tagging them.

Which is so very odd.  They allow it as a legacy name for all the world to see but the word gets censored here.  There really is not rhyme or reason, it seems.

• Like 3

[The Washington Post] More than 130 Secret Service officers are said to be infected with coronavirus or quarantining in wake of Trump’s campaign travel

... Officers are distinct from agents, most of whom work in plainclothes and provide close security of the president, his family members and other senior officials.

“Being down more than 100 officers is very problematic,” said one former senior Secret Service supervisor. “That does not bode well for White House security.”

About mechanical text censorship: In a post about a week ago I followed the word "concoct" with the word "its" and got "concoc*****" and I've been meaning to see if it was sanitizing what I meant to type, "concoct its", or a typo "concoc*****", or something else. [ETA: and now I know, it was evidently a typo where I omitted the blank between the words.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

Second company has a likely vaccine coming, this time up to 95% effective:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Moderna-s-coronavirus-vaccine-found-to-be-nearly-15729945.php

Biotechnology firm Moderna announced Monday that a preliminary analysis shows its experimental coronavirus vaccine is nearly 95 percent effective at preventing illness, including severe cases - a striking initial result that leaves the United States with the prospect that two coronavirus vaccines could be available on a limited basis by the end of the year.

Moderna announced Monday that its vaccine can be stable at refrigerator temperatures for a month and frozen for up to six months. It will not require dilution at the point of care, unlike the Pfizer vaccine.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

I like that half my country is complaining about restrictions when if they simply wore masks and took this thing seriously we could have been opened by now. Or at least in the process of reopening. Instead it was a left vs right political thing. I just want to go back to work. Screw the left and the right.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

What really bothers me is the first has been fine for who knows how many years, no screaming about personal freedoms....

Yet the second seems to be ALL about restricting personal freedom.

I don't see the difference

no-shirt-no-shoes-no-service-stock-corrugated-plastic-sign-18x24.jpg

RTP-no-shoes-no-shirt-no-mask-no-service-signs_Page_2.jpg

The ones complaining about the second sign and their personal freedoms, don't understand where their freedom starts and where it stops..

It's like someone refusing to take their shoes off to get into my house..

Them: I'm not taking my shoes off!

Me:Then stay on the porch, because you didn't pay for my wood floors!

hehehe

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

Yet the second seems to be ALL about restricting personal freedom.

RTP-no-shoes-no-shirt-no-mask-no-service-signs_Page_2.jpg

The perfect storm of western bias reflecting back upon itself.

Before 2020 - face coverings and turbans were the western world's "mark of shame" against mostly Islamic countries (which is darkly funny as Turbans are worn by Rastafarians and Sikh, but not generally by Islamic people).

A lot of this 'anti-mask' panic is likely driven from a trained reaction to hate anyone wearing something veil-like.

Some EU countries even going as far as criminalizing face-coverings under the dog-whistle of 'secularism' to hate what was really hatred / bias.

People have used the 'face covering' as a dog-whistle against middle easterners to such a 'panic' extent that... when suddenly told to cover their faces - for a secular reason... the reaction of panic is still there, minus the "reasoning"... and it just fuels a rage they themselves can't even fully understand...

So they're just latching onto things that... still vibe with hate-based norms... and then ranting incoherently because they're grasping to put it together... and what we're seeing is a step towards anti-secularism which in some places was even drive by 'secularism'... (or rather, hate pretended to be secularism, and now the 'action item' it called for... has been reflected back against secularism/science).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The perfect storm of western bias reflecting back upon itself.

Before 2020 - face coverings and turbans were the western world's "mark of shame" against mostly Islamic countries (which is darkly funny as Turbans are worn by Rastafarians and Sikh, but not generally by Islamic people).

A lot of this 'anti-mask' panic is likely driven from a trained reaction to hate anyone wearing something veil-like.

Some EU countries even going as far as criminalizing face-coverings under the dog-whistle of 'secularism' to hate what was really hatred / bias.

People have used the 'face covering' as a dog-whistle against middle easterners to such a 'panic' extent that... when suddenly told to cover their faces - for a secular reason... the reaction of panic is still there, minus the "reasoning"... and it just fuels a rage they themselves can't even fully understand...

So they're just latching onto things that... still vibe with hate-based norms... and then ranting incoherently because they're grasping to put it together... and what we're seeing is a step towards anti-secularism which in some places was even drive by 'secularism'... (or rather, hate pretended to be secularism, and now the 'action item' it called for... has been reflected back against secularism/science).

It's got more to do with them being told to wear them than anything..Just like many complained about restrictive lock downs..

You can't tell me what tah dew! This Murica! \o/

hehehe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agree with some of the speculation. We also have to consider the phenomenon of denial.

People who can't handle their fear well often go into denial about the dangers they face in order to believe they are strong, sometimes even increasing the danger as proof they can't be harmed (protesting a bit too much).  An uncomfortable mask covering a large proportion of your head kind of prevents that guise!

I was just watching earlier a nurse describing some of her patients dying from Covid, protesting they don't have Covid as they die in some kind of denial fit, wasting the last moments they could be face-timing with family.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

I like that half my country is complaining about restrictions when if they simply wore masks and took this thing seriously we could have been opened by now. Or at least in the process of reopening. Instead it was a left vs right political thing. I just want to go back to work. Screw the left and the right.

I'm just heading back to Africa and the rhinos in my VR headset till it's all over!!  LOL

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Of course we have to take into account the disinformation campaign put out in the spring, minimizing dangers of Covid and making fun of masks.  How many in the Trump cult believed him and felt they had to follow him blindly?

Both sides were making light of it back then.. I remember Pelosi walking through China town telling everyone, We are safe here..

Ok, It's getting later for me, I'm off to bed, Everyone have a great day.:)

• Like 1

Peeve: Businesses that pretend to adhere to the county's mask mandate but don't. If you aren't wearing a mask we'll just assume you have some sort of medical condition that prevents it, yet leaves you healthy enough to walk from your car to the store, and shop for half an hour on your feet the whole time. Or work an eight hour shift. If you really had some kind of medical condition so dire it leaves you worse off than 300 pound guy on oxygen riding around in a wheelchair and talking through an electrolayrnx but still wearing a mask, you should really consider curbside pickup. Or a trip to the ER, because it sounds like you're mostly dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
44 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Of course we have to take into account the disinformation campaign put out in the spring, minimizing dangers of Covid and making fun of masks.  How many in the Trump cult believed him and felt they had to follow him blindly?

Both sides were making light of it back then.. I remember Pelosi walking through China town telling everyone, We are safe here..

Apples to oranges and distortions on top.

No doubt some on both sides made mistakes early on, but this fact-checking article disproves your assertion, or at the very minimum provides more detail and demonstrates how Trump distorted the Pelosi issue you brought up:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/trumps-false-claims-about-pelosi-and-chinatown/

In the age of Trump, refusing the mask has been a form of sacrament, a political-religious symbol that signifies loyalty to Donald Trump and his movement. This odd phenomenon simply can't compare with the one Pelosi incident.
Trump has discouraged mask-wearing numerous times --  I remember him making fun of Biden wearing a mask.
And, he is the leader of our country and many follow him more than other examples in our government -- he is seen as the final authority by many. So comparing him to other authorities isn't a fair comparison either.
If a national mask mandate had been instituted across the United States in March, many thousands of lives would have been spared, and the country's economy might not now be in ruins.

PET PEEVE: People who are so obsessed with believing both sides are the same, or that both sides are bad, that they are unable to see that one side at this point in time is extremely dangerous.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Peeve: Businesses that pretend to adhere to the county's mask mandate but don't. If you aren't wearing a mask we'll just assume you have some sort of medical condition that prevents it, yet leaves you healthy enough to walk from your car to the store, and shop for half an hour on your feet the whole time. Or work an eight hour shift. If you really had some kind of medical condition so dire it leaves you worse off than 300 pound guy on oxygen riding around in a wheelchair and talking through an electrolayrnx but still wearing a mask, you should really consider curbside pickup. Or a trip to the ER, because it sounds like you're mostly dead.

Our state has now gone to...even if you have a medical condition you have to wear one inside businesses or if you can't social distance outside.  The only ones exempt are children under 2.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Our state has now gone to...even if you have a medical condition you have to wear one inside businesses or if you can't social distance outside.  The only ones exempt are children under 2.

Walmart just changed their nationwide policy to require those claiming a medical condition to at least wear a face shield.  While not as good as a mask, it is still much better than nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Apples to oranges and distortions on top.

No doubt some on both sides made mistakes early on, but this fact-checking article disproves your assertion, or at the very minimum provides more detail and demonstrates how Trump distorted the Pelosi issue you brought up:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/trumps-false-claims-about-pelosi-and-chinatown/

In the age of Trump, refusing the mask has been a form of sacrament, a political-religious symbol that signifies loyalty to Donald Trump and his movement. This odd phenomenon simply can't compare with the one Pelosi incident.
Trump has discouraged mask-wearing numerous times --  I remember him making fun of Biden wearing a mask.
And, he is the leader of our country and many follow him more than other examples in our government -- he is seen as the final authority by many. So comparing him to other authorities isn't a fair comparison either.
If a national mask mandate had been instituted across the United States in March, many thousands of lives would have been spared, and the country's economy might not now be in ruins.

PET PEEVE: People who are so obsessed with believing both sides are the same, or that both sides are bad, that they are unable to see that one side at this point in time is extremely 

I didn't see trump say it. It was from a local news station there. 

As far as your peeve, I've experienced living in both sides. If you think only one side is extremely dangerous, you might want to open the other eye.

Some people come to this conclusion  from experience and some get it second hand.

See, i just posted up about something i rememberd seeing from early on..

That's all it took for you to go on the attack and try to insult me and break me down. That's fine by me really. 

Well, i'm off to work.. Everyone have a nice night :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

As far as your peeve, I've experienced living in both sides. If you think only one side is extremely dangerous, you might want to open the other eye.

She has one & only one view of the world and any that see it differently are evil creatures in her eyes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/13/2020 at 5:46 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My favourite is that there is at least one legacy name for residents -- Swee*****er -- that gets censored, even if you are tagging them.

Can you im me the name? As I'm really good with nougthy words but I can't get it. My closest is sweetw@nk.r but it just doesn't feel right. 

17 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Agree with some of the speculation. We also have to consider the phenomenon of denial.

People who can't handle their fear well often go into denial about the dangers they face in order to believe they are strong, sometimes even increasing the danger as proof they can't be harmed (protesting a bit too much).  An uncomfortable mask covering a large proportion of your head kind of prevents that guise!

I was just watching earlier a nurse describing some of her patients dying from Covid, protesting they don't have Covid as they die in some kind of denial fit, wasting the last moments they could be face-timing with family.

Yeah, I saw this bubbling to the top of Twitter a couple days ago:

(Must click through the thread to see it all.)

This is what baffles me though. Doesn't everybody know personally and trust somebody in medicine? A doctor or a nurse or a nursing assistant or an orderly or somebody? Who are the COVID deniers who don't get a stern talking-to by their medical friend(s)?

At this point there can be hardly a hospital in the US that doesn't at least have a contingency plan for refrigerated trailers in the parking lot.

What kind of death cult has been running this country?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The right-wing case for Sweden's pandemic response has completely collapsed" (Matt Gertz on MediaMatters.org)

Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven announced on Monday a reduction in the limit on public gatherings from 50 people to eight, citing lack of voluntary compliance with health recommendations to the public, after last week announcing plans to ban alcohol sales after 10 p.m. nationwide. “It is a clear and sharp signal to every person in our country as to what applies in the future,” he said at a press conference. “Don’t go to the gym, don’t go the library, don’t have dinner out, don’t have parties — cancel!” 

The country’s COVID-19 caseload has spiked dramatically in recent weeks, vastly outpacing its neighbors and approaching that of the U.S., and hospitalizations and fatalities have inevitably followed.

970635849_Screenshot2020-11-17090754.png.66b93a2e212c2d48816f85ec93480432.png

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.