Coronavirus Response in SL Communities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Like Lindal and many others, I am firmly in one of the more vulnerable populations, so I am taking this pandemic seriously.  Fortunately, I am somewhat of a recluse anyway, so self-isolation and maintaining social distance come naturally to me.  I plan on weathering the season here in SL, where the virus is not likely to discover my password.  I do not plan on getting morose or fatalistic about it, but I don't plan on being in denial either.  I just find it comforting that I can duck into SL for relative safety and peace of mind while RL is unsettled.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 12

27 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Ok. I get it. Not only is this "too soon", it's "while it's happening". I actually wrote those jokes on the subway surrounded by masked people. I guess I truly am an SL immersionist who keeps my RL and SL separate. To all, my apologies. I didn't realize how badly it is going around the country and around the world. I hope you and all you love get through this and feel better.

14 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

As someone who is at risk because of age and compromised immune system and would likely die from Covid-19, I agree.

Covid-19 IS on my doorstep. I am in Oregon, where, as of yesterday, there are 19 reported cases and who knows how many unreported. This is not the time to be making jokes to people you associate/communicate with who may die from it. Just north of Oregon is Washington where 29 people have already died of Covid-19.

Washington-state-COVID-19-03.11-WEB-1560

I don't find people dying funny at all.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

If you want really really dark humor, hang out in a hospital pathology lab. Histopathology and cytopathology for the best examples.

The same is true of emergency responders of every kind.

When did humanity's best weapon against despair become something insulting? As a folk musician I sing about death on an almost daily basis - wars, shipwrecks, plagues, murders, industrial accidents, they are all in there, as are the songs about the old guy with the scythe himself, many of which are upbeat and almost dance tunes. This is so for the same reason you drink and make merry at a traditional Irish wake - it's not for the dead, it's for the living, to stick a finger firmly in the eye socket of that grinning skull and say "Hell with you, you bony old bastard, we're not dead yet!"

I'll never forgot hearing your performance, David...it's "the working man's song".  I still to this day hear you telling the story of the low tide and the high tide and the words "the tide is a devil, and the devil has his day".  It was a very sad song about men who drowned that day.  That one really got me though...the one about the tide and those who drowned.

to the op:  As for the tiny community, it is the most avatar friendly population I've encountered so far, I don't think I'd be too pleased with an avatar virus that had the words COVID-19 on it.  However, if it didn't have COVID-19 written on it and/or happened before all this which is happening now as places of business in the U.S. are now shutting down it would have been acceptable to some and maybe not to others for reasons you don't know...such as perhaps their child or parent died from a virus.  

Just remember we are all have power to de-render and or not go to places we are uncomfortable with.  

This opening post doesn't seem like "Bree" to me as it's a bit of drama.  I've never really noticed Bree to be a lot about drama.  I see Bree spoke above and apologized...I don't think she knew all that was going on 'right now'.  

Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive for COVID-19.  Prayers is about all I can say.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

I am both fortunate and unfortunate at the same time. On the plus side, I live in a town with only one confirmed case so far, my immune system is healthy and the health issues I do have are not vulnerable to a respiratory virus. The company I work for has promised full sick pay for anyone needing to go into isolation, and while I cannot work from home, the department is now splitting itself between two buildings to minimise the risk of everyone getting sick at once. My partner is now working from home for the foreseeable future.

On the negative side, I live in a large town and I do not have a car, so I rely on public transport to get to work. So I am probably more exposed to the risk than average.

I called in at my local supermarket on the way home from work, to pick up a few things we need for the weekend. All the shelves, including toilet paper and hand cleansers, were fully stocked. I didn't need those things today, but I did check them, out of curiosity.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 2

awwww.... Thank you.

4 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I still to this day hear you telling the story of the low tide and the high tide and the words "the tide is a devil, and the devil has his day".  It was a very sad song about men who drowned that day.  That one really got me though...the one about the tide and those who drowned.

I can't not do that one on a regular basis - my parents moved to the shore of Morecambe Bay when my brother and I were tiny and I spent so much of my childhood and young adult years sailing all around that bay and the Irish Sea with my dad. We both also volunteered at the local lifeboat station and knew the dangers of the bay all too well. The events of the song happened in February 2004 and a local songwriter from the south side of the bay named Kevin Littlewood wrote the original version of "On Morecambe Bay". Christy Moore, that giant of the Irish traditional music world, picked it up and reworked it some. The version I do is closer to his than to Kevin's original.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

awwww.... Thank you.

I can't not do that one on a regular basis - my parents moved to the shore of Morecambe Bay when my brother and I were tiny and I spent so much of my childhood and young adult years sailing all around that bay and the Irish Sea with my dad. We both also volunteered at the local lifeboat station and knew the dangers of the bay all too well. The events of the song happened in February 2004 and a local songwriter from the south side of the bay named Kevin Littlewood wrote the original version of "On Morecambe Bay". Christy Moore, that giant of the Irish traditional music world, picked it up and reworked it some. The version I do is closer to his than to Kevin's original.

I'd love to hear you sing that. I live not too far away from there (Manchester area), I've been to Morecambe several times and I remember that event well from the news.

Found a recording of Kevin (the man who wrote it) singing it;

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

The grocery delivery man who came today told me that as soon as a shelf was filled with handwash dispensers one man came along and swept every bottle into his trolley - and the shop let him buy them.  I call that irresponsible on both sides.

I would certainly agree. But where??? Everywhere I've seen is limiting them. The good news is that any soap will do, and nobody seems to want the shower gel or bar stuff. I read that bar soap is better because the virus can't live on its surface but could hang around for a bit on a plastic pump.

Spent a bit of time today trying to explain to someone that it's important because we are trying not to infect immuno-compromised people who aren't likely to get better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

In response to the Coronavirus pandemic many communities in Second Life have begun to make changes.

In BDSM communities, rubber gloves are recommended, and rubber pants, rubber corsets, rubber masks....

The Tiny community is actually welcoming new tiny "virus" avatars and having lots of fun.

Gorean slave girls must now have N95 rated silks. (N95 blocks 95% of 0.3 micron or larger particles)

Members of the Furry community are debating if the virus even affects non-human species.

"Residents going to shopping events are now required to be inspected", says the guy who normally cams up skirts all the time.

The Cyber Goths have been told to prep.. no.. wait.. they're all wearing black facemasks already.

Brie, you made me laugh.  Thank you.

Humor is the most wonderful way to cope with things we just don't understand.  I love it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Storm Clarence said:

Brie, you made me laugh.  Thank you.

Humor is the most wonderful way to cope with things we just don't understand.  I love it!

I took Bree's post in the same way as I take those mugs you can always buy at the seaside:

Golfers do it with a tee

Doctors do it until half days on Fridays

Truck drivers do it with a thumbs up

Gotta laugh or we are all flippin' doomed, Mr Manwaring!

• Like 4

Just now, BelindaN said:

But why toilet roll??????

It's real. Real people are stockpiling it. Even trying to sell it on e bay.

Just why??

Self perpetuating. As soon as people learn others are panic buying it, they worry there won't be any when they need it so they panic buy it too, people see it getting depleted, get worried and so the cycle goes on. And then of course the profiteers go for it too. It's hard though because toilet paper doesn't bring in much money for the amount of space it takes up in stock rooms and warehouses, so it isn't usually being held in vast quantities. It wouldn't need to be if people weren't panic buying!

Obviously the virus isn't funny. A run on toilet paper kind of is, a bit. At least, it will be until I'm self isolating for a week with a pre-schooler and don't have any. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

But why toilet roll??????

It's real. Real people are stockpiling it. Even trying to sell it on e bay.

Just why??

It goes back to WWII and rationing. While my parents and grandparents weren't like that, my great grandparents were. During the war UK soldiers were issued 3 sheets per day while american soldiers were rationed 22 sheets per day. And of course there was rationing for the general public as well. Older people are afraid of rationing with good reason and they can pass that influence on to their kids and grandkids.

• Like 3

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

It goes back to WWII and rationing. While my parents and grandparents weren't like that, my great grandparents were. During the war UK soldiers were issued 3 sheets per day while american soldiers were rationed 22 sheets per day. And of course there was rationing for the general public as well. Older people are afraid of rationing with good reason and they can pass that influence on to their kids and grandkids.

My mother was an child during WWII in England and the rationing never, ever left her. We never had less than a full case of toilet paper growing up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Without intending to stockpile, and certainly not panic buying currently, I discovered that I had already accumulated, at my brother's house, 3 x 24 packs of toilet rolls, and 4 liquid hand soaps.  Cans of soup, baked beans and tomatoes are in an overspill box in the living room.  This is certainly because my aunties, who lived through both WWI and WWII (they died in 1981 and 1983), always taught us to buy one for the cupboard and one for now, and I seem to have lived by that.  I guess if my brother's street goes on lock down, I shall share our good fortune and full cupboard with the neighbours. Just like when we had powercuts in the early 1970s, the neighbour with the gas cooker next door would boil water and heat food for us in exchange for candles and batteries.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

Found a recording of Kevin (the man who wrote it) singing it;

Yeah Christy's version has the tune tweaked and is cut down a lot and I modeled my version on that - I really should learn Kevin's original well enough to perform it too, but that's for the future, not for next weeks set list :)

Christy playing his version - way better than I do it - is here... (although its the nature of folk music that my version isn't exactly Christy's either - no two folk musicians do the same song exactly the same)

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax

Ah yes dark humor, I enjoy me some dark humor. (I can joke about this because there are outbreaks in Kentucky and I live in Kentucky so I am not safe(haha im in danger))

also mfw I am germaphobic and already stockpiled on cleaning supplies months in advanced (please do not raid my home I will clean you out of existence).

image.png.7be96f4941c3c0d49252bab319959a55.png

But really though, Covid-19 memes have already hit the MP store(face masks, toilet paper, etc). While yes, it is important to take precautions seriously, there isn't any reason why you can't poke fun at it.
It is something that is affecting everyone and for some(like me), joking about it is a great way to cope with the stress/worry. But I personally am not too stressed about it as the media is kind of blowing it out of proportion like it is a end of the world zombie plague.
Remember swine flu(that 2010 thing no one seems to remember)? Or hell, just the regular flu? They still have caused more deaths(each, not together) than Covid-19. Here is a source comparing other outbreaks: https://about.futurelearn.com/blog/covid-19-how-does-coronavirus-compare-to-other-outbreaks (I am providing this as a source, regarding any other information on the site I do not endorse it and have not verified any other information on their site)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Without intending to stockpile, and certainly not panic buying currently, I discovered that I had already accumulated, . . .This is certainly because my aunties...Just like when we had powercuts in the early 1970s, the neighbour with the gas cooker next door would boil water and heat food for us in exchange for candles and batteries.

I have enough bourbon, food, and weed to make it til the next pandemic.  Just sayin.  I had a few aunties myself.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Without intending to stockpile, and certainly not panic buying currently, I discovered that I had already accumulated, at my brother's house, 3 x 24 packs of toilet rolls, and 4 liquid hand soaps.  Cans of soup, baked beans and tomatoes are in an overspill box in the living room.  This is certainly because my aunties, who lived through both WWI and WWII (they died in 1981 and 1983), always taught us to buy one for the cupboard and one for now, and I seem to have lived by that.  I guess if my brother's street goes on lock down, I shall share our good fortune and full cupboard with the neighbours. Just like when we had powercuts in the early 1970s, the neighbour with the gas cooker next door would boil water and heat food for us in exchange for candles and batteries.

I wish I could stockpile. I can't afford to and don't have room to store it any way.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Storm Clarence said:

I have enough bourbon, food, and weed to make it til the next pandemic.  Just sayin.  I had a few aunties myself.

Weed, cocaine and I am sure a few other substances I can more easily obtain via my ground floor neighbours should I run out of staples at my flat. They have no aunties, more likely are sons of b1tches actually !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.