Coronavirus Response in SL Communities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It's all fun and games until someone you know dies.

So is life in general! The original post by Bree was aimed strictly at how the SL community might deal with this virus, in a comical way. NOBODY mentioned outside SL. NOBODY was poking fun at anyone outside of SL. People taking it to RL are 'off topic'!

(really last post, sorry.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

No, it isn't cool. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised that no one really gives a damn. It's all fun and games until someone you know dies.

On a slightly unrelated topic - and yet not really - I used to just be a visitor to my flat, coming here about once a fortnight, because I felt I needed to be tending to my brother's every need 24/7, so when I used to come here, I would say to my brother "I'm just popping to mine, to see if the roof is still on", and darn me, if one day, I didn't arrive at my home, in the coldest, wettest, windiest January I have known in years, to find all the roof had been removed from the entire block of 24 flats.  All that protected my home from the elements was some flimsy tarpaulin, I had workmen trampling noisily all over the wood that made my ceiling, it was a very surreal time.

And for that reason, I cannot joke about Coronavirus, although I see the joke in some jokes about anything where some stress about something needs to be alleviated.  I cannot afford to be terrified about it, or not to be concerned if my brother would survive it if I carried it into his home - I am bathing more often than usual, in case anything is even in my hair!

People DO give a damn. You and I and everyone don't really know what people are thinking and doing behind their keyboards. A lot of what you see on these forums is bluster and bravado. Everyone might be giving a big damn indeed, disinfecting cash, extra laundering clothes, sanitising every door handle they come across as well as their own hands.  Please take some comfort, Selene. More people give a damn than are letting on. Many many more.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

And you have the idiots here cart blocking older people just to get the last box of toilet paper and buy all the Lysol wipes. I saw this yesterday at a store.  I can not believe how people are. Although it does not surprise me, I am an introvert for a reason.

Being introverted doesn't mean being misanthropic. And you don't need to be introverted to be appalled at panic buying and the effect on vulnerable people.

I've never got much patience for the "introverts are morally better people" bollocks that's been all over the web for the last few years (I rarely see actual introverts doing it)  but there's something about using disasters to push it that really sticks in my craw.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Being introverted doesn't mean being misanthropic.

True, but it is bloody hell when you are both. 

Once upon a time when I was a child, I was not an introvert or misanthropic. Let's just say I drew back a nub one time too many and I've been both ever since.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Being introverted doesn't mean being misanthropic. And you don't need to be introverted to be appalled at panic buying and the effect on vulnerable people.

I've never got much patience for the "introverts are morally better people" bollocks that's been all over the web for the last few years (I rarely see actual introverts doing it)  but there's something about using disasters to push it that really sticks in my craw.

uh... who said anyone was morally better.. wow you like to ignite a fire with nothing don't you.  First, you have no idea who I am or why I am the way I am so please refrain from thinking you do. Secondly, I was very much appalled at the behavior of younger people not looking out for the older generation.

But you have to make it about you?

Edited by Tarina Sewell

7 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

uh... who said anyone was morally better..

You did.

5 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I can not believe how people are. Although it does not surprise me, I am an introvert for a reason.

And this is just odd.

8 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

But you have to make it about you?

Says the person who leaps on vulnerable people having to go without essentials as a chance to tell everyone that They Are An Introvert? 

I mean, I'm not surprised by this. I've already seen the I Am An Introvert And That Makes Me Better crowd using this horrible global health and economic crisis to remind us all of their supposed superiority all over social media elsewhere as well. As usual, it's generally not actual introverted people who are doing it, but it's just as misinformed, boring and irritating as it usually is. And yes, there is something particularly unpleasant about using coronavirus to promote it.

With all that said, I do genuinely hope that your mother is all right.

News from germany: Schools in many states (including mine) have been closed indefinitely. Kindergarten is sure to follow.

I gave in earlier and horded cat (got 2) and dog (got 1) food because I can totally starve but my lovelies? NEVER.

• Like 4

This just came in on the radio: A hoarder in my state wanted to buy 50 packs of flour, the cashier only wanted to sell him 20. The hoarder then proceeded to act like a normal human being attack the cashier and the police had to be called.

End of story: The hoarder didn't get to buy any flour.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

True, but it is bloody hell when you are both. 

Once upon a time when I was a child, I was not an introvert or misanthropic. Let's just say I drew back a nub one time too many and I've been both ever since.

Well you've had more personal tragedy than most people. It would be hard not to struggle with humanity after the experiences you've had, although that in and of itself does not necessarily equal introversion. Though you may of course be an introvert nonetheless. 

People are who they are. The world needs introverts, extroverts and everyone in between. I suspect most of us are in the lattermost category. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Syn Anatine said:

This just came in on the radio: A hoarder in my state wanted to buy 50 packs of flour, the cashier only wanted to sell him 20. The hoarder then proceeded to act like a normal human being attack the cashier and the police had to be called.

Official hijack of this thread for at least Western Europe, might be forgiven considering the times:

We are not at war, supply lines are not under attack. Relax a bit. OK, if you are made to quarantine for 2 weeks you have to shop. But shops will be re-stocked. The next day at the latest. No need to stock up. A half-stocked store just means that someone has panicked for that day. They will refill. Go back the next day...

I have been in bed since I posted, and I am running a fever that lots of Paracetamol does not help against. I am absolutely not in a serious condition, I will only lie down with my eyes closed and wait until this is over. I don't bother to read anything or log in.

There is no point in seeking help, the official order is that all who's not in danger shall stay at home. I am not alone, so I am not at risk. I am just exhausted. See ya in some days, I hope.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

I have been in bed since I posted, and I am running a fever that lots of Paracetamol does not help against. I am absolutely not in a serious condition, I will only lie down with my eyes closed and wait until this is over. I don't bother to read anything or log in.

There is no point in seeking help, the official order is that all who's not in danger shall stay at home. I am not alone, so I am not at risk. I am just exhausted. See ya in some days, I hope.

While you won't see this if you aren't logging back in until you feel better, I'm sending hugs and good vibes your way.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

I know everyone's worried but things like this, or Garnet's story of the guy who swept literally every bottle of hand wash from a newly, fully stocked display into his trolley, cannot be "normal" panic buying, surely. There must be some sort of mental health condition underlying it. 

9 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I know everyone's worried but things like this, or Garnet's story of the guy who swept literally every bottle of hand wash from a newly, fully stocked display into his trolley, cannot be "normal" panic buying, surely. There must be some sort of mental health condition underlying it. 

I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work yesterday afternoon, just to pick up a few things that had been on my list for a few days. This was roughly 3:00 pm when many would normally still be at work and kids still in school.  I live in a large suburb with lots of grocery stores nearby.  There was no toilet paper or kleenex and not much on the napkin shelves; roughly 75% of the baby wipes were gone, tons of empty shelves in the medicine & such areas  Many of the carts truly looked like people expected to be locked in their homes any minute and that they'd be locked in for months.  One couple had two carts, practically overflowing -- though they were mostly stocking up on soda pop, chips and frozen pizzas - glad I didn't live in that house.  The smart ones, IMO, were stocking up on canned goods, water, bags of rice, and bags of beans.  If I felt the need to stock up, that is what I'd stock up on anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work yesterday afternoon, just to pick up a few things that had been on my list for a few days. This was roughly 3:00 pm when many would normally still be at work and kids still in school.  I live in a large suburb with lots of grocery stores nearby.  There was no toilet paper or kleenex and not much on the napkin shelves; roughly 75% of the baby wipes were gone, tons of empty shelves in the medicine & such areas  Many of the carts truly looked like people expected to be locked in their homes any minute and that they'd be locked in for months.  One couple had two carts, practically overflowing -- though they were mostly stocking up on soda pop, chips and frozen pizzas - glad I didn't live in that house.  The smart ones, IMO, were stocking up on canned goods, water, bags of rice, and bags of beans.  If I felt the need to stock up, that is what I'd stock up on anyway.

The toilet paper folks are stocking up on... is that for a runny nose perhaps? :)

Edited by HeathcliffMontague
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm lucky because I already had my no-deal Brexit store, so I've already got enough in. Dry and tinned goods, oil and, yes, toilet roll. I built it up gradually over a couple of months, just a few extras with every shop. There was no panic buying that I knew of at that time but to be honest that surprised me. If we had crashed out with no deal (which we still might), the consequences could have been disastrous

I was in the supermarket today for a few perishables so I wandered round to see what was going on. A little bit of toilet roll back in. Pasta, rice, flour (except for self-raising), still stripped bare. Hand wash about half full, other forms of soap totally fine. Very little yeast and bread mix. Tins not too bad. Frozen veg fine but frozen potato products (e.g. waffles and oven chips) very low...odd.

Then a thought struck me. I went over to the vegan section. Full to bursting with a few packs on offer. 

• Like 3

On 3/12/2020 at 8:26 PM, VictoriaGrwd said:

35 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Probably. I mean what on earth do you do with 50 packs of flour? Bake the corona virus?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm lucky because I already had my no-deal Brexit store, so I've already got enough in. Dry and tinned goods, oil and, yes, toilet roll. I built it up gradually over a couple of months, just a few extras with every shop.

I have always maintained a large stock of canned goods and other various staples - just something ingrained in me from my childhood.  I also have a large deep freezer that is full.  My mother always stocked up a bit when money was available to do so because she never knew when the next emergency would hit that would take the grocery money.  I don't have those same financial worries, but the 'stay stocked up' mentality is still there.  As to the toilet paper, I've always bought the large quantity package because of price, so I'm good there for quite a while.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Probably. I mean what on earth do you do with 50 packs of flour? Bake the corona virus?

I read that in America, many people are stocking up on guns and ammo. Presumably they're intending to shoot it out of the air?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I read that in America, many people are stocking up on guns and ammo. Presumably they're intending to shoot it out of the air?

Americans treating the corona virus like a zombie apocalypse.

I'm not even surprised.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.