Coronavirus Response in SL Communities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Selene Gregoire

ok, so if they dont even know they have it then how are these people gonna know that they are killing people???? Don't get your logic on that one, sorry.. But anyways... maybe its not as bad or maybe its worse. I personally don't get sick that much and make it a habit to stay away from other people as much as i can because most of them are 2 faced backstabbers anyways.. But I mean.. its different for everybody.. hey they still have that emergen-C stuff don't they?? or has that been stockpiled by the masses too?? what we really need to be stockpiling is guns n ammo for when the crazies start showing their true colors.. OH RIIIIIIGHT,  they did that already....  with their fake impeachment that didn't work.. 😄😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I've got good news and bad news for your pre-schooler.

The good news is that spring is coming, and soon there will be nice, tender leaves to use if the TP runs short.

The bad news is that the first plants to leaf out are the poison ivy...

It's ok, I'll find some second hand Gor books. 

20 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

I'm just wondering that if I somehow contract it, and need to stay in...what am I gonna do with my dog? She still needs to go out for walks.

Any local friends or dog walkers? Perhaps contact local kennels to see if they can help.

• Like 1

My country has as many citizens as Toronto. Yes, my whole country.

We have 800 cases, US have 1200 - 1300?

My family started to take precautions last Sunday. We cancelled the visit from the kids grandparents. Because if their grandma's getting a mild cold, she has to be hospitalized with oxygen support, and this Coronavirus would kill her. Grandpa's had a stroke and he is in the risk group too.

It may have sounded hysterical, but on Monday the first case was reported in my daughter's school. Tuesday the leisure club for my son was cancelled because one of the workers had been in contact with a case. Thursday all schools and preschools in the country was closed and stay closed until March 26.

I'm not offended, we joke ourselves, and we are not going to hoard food. Even if others do. But things will be worse. China is the world's leading supply of medicines, I have one with diabetes in the family. I was relieved to see that there are big producers of insulin outside of China. And what this will do for the world economy, is really, really bad.

• Like 3

I am sorry for sounding so grumpy. I am in more pain than usual, because the doctor's office is overworked, and my request of getting a renewal of the prescription painkillers has not been processed. It is not an emergency, but over-the-counter painkillers does not do a good job. The painkillers are restricted to 20 at a time, and I applied for more when I had seven left. I then applied when I had 4 left. I am saving the last two for a really bad time.

The praised best healthcare in the world is not better equipped to deal with a virus outbreak like this, than the cursed out American healthcare. In former weeks, people had to plead to get tested, even with full symptoms. Doctors has in media hinted that people make up stories about coming home from Austria or Italy, so they can be tested.

And now, the official statement is that no one should come to the hospitals or their doctor's office and ask to be tested. There will be no more tests, unless you are in a very limited risk group, or are health care personnel with symptoms. The number of cases will go remarkably down now, heh.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

In response to the Coronavirus pandemic many communities in Second Life have begun to make changes.

In BDSM communities, rubber gloves are recommended, and rubber pants, rubber corsets, rubber masks....

The Tiny community is actually welcoming new tiny "virus" avatars and having lots of fun.

Gorean slave girls must now have N95 rated silks. (N95 blocks 95% of 0.3 micron or larger particles)

Members of the Furry community are debating if the virus even affects non-human species.

"Residents going to shopping events are now required to be inspected", says the guy who normally cams up skirts all the time.

The Cyber Goths have been told to prep.. no.. wait.. they're all wearing black facemasks already.

Battlefield Mirth.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Without even getting in to the debate about 'appropriate' (gallows humour exists* so its a wee bit moot), the OP did not get that far - it failed the first hurdle. Having to explain bits to what should have been a captive audience means don't give up your day job.

(Been in situations where it would have made your fur curl - its a hoom thing)

19 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I'm in the middle of the outbreak in the Netherlands, working in elderly care, people die .. for me not really a subject to make fun about.

I can not get into the facility my mom is in for fear of contact.  And you have the idiots here cart blocking older people just to get the last box of toilet paper and buy all the Lysol wipes. I saw this yesterday at a store.  I can not believe how people are. Although it does not surprise me, I am an introvert for a reason.

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

My country has as many citizens as Toronto. Yes, my whole country.

We have 800 cases, US have 1200 - 1300?

About 1,700 reported cases. Reported being the operative word because so few people are being tested for it. I expect the true number is much, much higher. My state has three times the population of Toronto and maybe 200 people have been tested, total. The numbers are only available for the state labs, but the number of tests given at private labs can be estimated from the number of positive results. I have no doubt whatsoever that there are at least tens of thousands of Americans with undiagnosed cases.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon

2 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Without even getting in to the debate about 'appropriate' (gallows humour exists* so its a wee bit moot), the OP did not get that far - it failed the first hurdle. Having to explain bits to what should have been a captive audience means don't give up your day job.

(Been in situations where it would have made your fur curl - its a hoom thing)

Maybe next time we should just hold up cards with numbers on from zero to 10. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I can not get into the facility my mom is in for fear of contact.  And you have the idiots here cart blocking older people just to get the last box of toilet paper and buy all the Lysol wipes. I saw this yesterday at a store.  I can not believe how people are. Although it does not surprise me, I am an introvert for a reason.

I walked into my nearest town today - it's only 1.2 miles, had a wander round a beautiful park three times (5Km) and it was business as usual, friendly dog walkers (extra friendly dogs licky licky jumping), and very pleasant.  However, as I walked the extra 200m to the supermarket, people were very different. You would have thought someone had sounded the four minute warning; a young woman actually pushed me out of her way to get to a shelf that should have contained baby wipes, but which was empty.  

It was announced on the news at 2pm that "We have no plans as yet to close the schools." 

It's all gone a little bit too cuckoo. And I am glad to be back home, back in the bath, wrapped in a pink fluffy towel. 

• Like 1

Watched a film last night about how the American company Du Pont has been killing ALL of us for decades due to 'Teflon', (And C8, which is in the bloodstream of 99.7 percent of Americans, remains unregulated at the national level) ....nobody cares. A little virus comes along and the world goes into meltdown!
The mind boggles sometimes!

https://theintercept.com/2015/08/20/teflon-toxin-dupont-slipped-past-epa/

As a testicular cancer survivor and veteran of 35 years of Crohns disease.....cheers Du Pont! 

4 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

And I am glad to be back home, back in the bath, wrapped in a pink fluffy towel. 

Would probably feel a lot nicer if you saved the towel until you're out of the bath?...Just a thought.  😜

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

About 1,700 reported cases. Reported being the operative word because so few people are being tested for it. I expect the true number is much, much higher. My state has three times the population of Toronto and maybe 200 people have been tested, total. The numbers are only available for the state labs, but given the number of tests given at private labs can be estimated from the number of positive results. I have no doubt whatsoever that there are at least tens of thousands of Americans with undiagnosed cases.

I'm not sure what the current numbers are, but last I looked, about 2 days ago, the province of British Columbia (pop. ~4.5 million, or roughly the size of metropolitan Toronto) had tested more people for the virus than the entire US.

So, yes. And that's scary as hell.

4 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Watched a film last night about how the American company Du Pont has been killing ALL of us for decades due to 'Teflon', (And C8, which is in the bloodstream of 99.7 percent of Americans, remains unregulated at the national level) ....nobody cares. A little virus comes along and the world goes into meltdown!
The mind boggles sometimes!

https://theintercept.com/2015/08/20/teflon-toxin-dupont-slipped-past-epa/

As a testicular cancer survivor and veteran of 35 years of Crohns disease.....cheers Du Pont! 

And here comes the whataboutism...

Thanks for ignoring all the posts, links, education, etc., that were shared in response to your "how so?" question, though. 

11 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

And here comes the whataboutism...

"Whataboutism, also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument."
I was neither attempting to discredit your position nor refuting your argument!  Just saying there's bigger problems out there to worry about.

13 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Thanks for ignoring all the posts, links, education, etc., that were shared in response to your "how so?" question, though. 

I didn't realise a response was compulsory, sorry.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Can we at least do this without the xenophobia ?

Let me see. . .

Lyme Disease (Lyme , Connecticut)

Ebola (A river in Congo)

German Measles  (Europe?)

Rocky Mountain Fever (Rocky Mountains USA)

Marburg Virus (Africa, Germany)

MER(s)  (Middle East)

. . .

Why do you rename only the Chinese diseases/viruses? 

Xenophobic?

4 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

I was neither attempting to discredit your position nor refuting your argument!  Just saying there's bigger problems out there to worry about.

Yes.  That's "whataboutism".  The one that always gets under my skin is the Luddites who argue, "Why are we spending all this money on space when there are real problems here on earth?"

You are quite right that there are other problems to worry about.  But you'll feel really foolish if you go and die from coronavirus after surviving testicular cancer.  We need to worry about all the things.  Not "worry" as in fret, but take action to fix or mitigate them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But you'll feel really foolish if you go and die from coronavirus after surviving testicular cancer. 

I think if I'm dead I'll be able to deal with the foolishness! Look, the amount of things that have tried and are trying to kill me right now, this virus is the least of my worries! I guess it's made me extremely flippant and uncaring about other peoples worries and fears. I'll apologise for any upset/anger caused and refrain from commenting on the subject anymore here. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Storm Clarence said:

Let me see. . .

Lyme Disease (Lyme , Connecticut)

Ebola (A river in Congo)

German Measles  (Europe?)

Rocky Mountain Fever (Rocky Mountains USA)

Marburg Virus (Africa, Germany)

MER(s)  (Middle East)

How about Spanish Flu - which didn't start anywhere near Spain but they were the country that didn't lie about it happening so that's what everyone called it?

"Marburg" has nothing to do with Africa - some lab workers in Marburg, Germany were infected by imported African lab monkeys in the first recorded outbreak.

And "German Measles" has been worldwide for centuries - people started calling it that because the scientists who figured out that it was a separate illness from measles or scarlet fever were German. Probably more appropriate to just call it "rubella."

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.