(Rant?) I just want a dance.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I love Wodehouse his use of language is exquisite.

Probably my favourite all-time Wodehouse-ism: “When Aunt is calling to Aunt like mastodons bellowing across primeval swamps.”

There are so many of them though -- and happily, he doesn't mind recycling them across his enormous oeuvre, so they become like old friends, the more we read!

9 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I agree, except possibly for the "a lot older" part.  I remember  sitting in my grandfather's house one summer when I was about 16, reading Wodehouse's Jeeves stories and many of the Psmith and Ukridge stories that are not as well known now. They were wonderfully silly stories with ridiculous characters.  Fry and Laurie's portrayals were delightful but not quite what I had seen in my own mind.  Just a bit too over the top, as if they knew that they were silly. I think Wodehouse would have felt that the film versions missed his point -- that upper class twits only look like twits to us from the outside. Within their own circle, they are quite "normal."  Irrelevant, and in a perpetual fog, but bouncing along in their own self-consistent little world.

You're probably right about the "lot older" part, now that I think about it: Jeeves does himself have a few quiet romantic entanglements in the stories, so he is probably not very much older than Bertie.

I think you're also right about interior vs. exterior perspective of the stories. One problem with the translation into a modern cultural milieu is that, as the class hierarchy has gradually been weakened, we've likely lost the capacity for that kind of subtlety and nuance: the aristocracy tend to be either doomed and slightly tragic, or just ridiculously anachronistic, with not much play between those poles. It's one reason, maybe, why the Blandings stories wouldn't (and haven't) worked as well in adaptation: Bertie, as a representative of his class, is satirical (gently or not), but Galahad Threepwood isn't really, or at least not quite in the same way, and his age makes us more uncertain of exactly how to read him. He's too old to be given a sort of pass for his immaturity. (I gather there was a short-lived BBC serialization of the Blandings novels less than a decade ago, but I haven't seen them. There was also a terrible adaptation of Heavy Weather in the mid 90s, with a reasonably good Galahad as played by Richard Briers, and an absolutely execrable Peter O'Toole as Clarence. O'Toole got it completely wrong, and just chewed up the scenery and anyone else who came within reach.)

You could probably make a series from the Ukridge stories: everyone loves a miserably unsuccessful and roguish layabout. Psmith, I suspect, would not seem interesting or sympathetic to modern audiences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I almost never do either, but I was at a club on Saturday night and there was a guy I didn't know whose profile piqued my interest, both in politics and music taste. So I sent him an IM. We ended up having an interesting chat about politics (and Star Wars), and there was no hint at all that he regarded my interest as sexual.

I didn't offer to friend him (his profile said he doesn't accept on first meeting) so I am really hoping to meet him again.

Oh, good for you! I genuinely admire your initiative!

I sometimes wonder whether it isn't counterproductive not taking the initiative in meeting new people, because it effectively means that I am not the one choosing whom I get to talk with; I'm allowing others to make that determination for me. And I'm undoubtedly missing out on interesting people as a result.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I sometimes wonder whether it isn't counterproductive not taking the initiative in meeting new people, because it effectively means that I am not the one choosing whom I get to talk with; I'm allowing others to make that determination for me. And I'm undoubtedly missing out on interesting people as a result.

I routinely chat up random people in SL, often after observing them for few minutes. Sandboxes are the best place for me, as the act of creation reveals something about the person doing it. The weirder the creation, the more compelled I am to make contact.

Give it a try!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rasterscan said:

BBC America ? I trust they pay the same licence fee we are obliged to pay here to keep it funded ?

BBC America is an American basic cable network that is jointly owned by BBC Studios and AMC Networks.[1] The channel primarily airs sci-fi and action series and films, as well as selected programs from the BBC (such as its nature documentary series)

Unlike the BBC's domestic channels in the United Kingdom, BBC America does not receive funding from the British licence fee (which is the principal funding for the BBC's channels within the United Kingdom), as the BBC cannot fund any of its channels that are available outside the United Kingdom.[2] Consequently, BBC America operates as a commercial-supported channel and accepts traditional advertising. It is also funded by television subscription fees.

As of September 2018, BBC America is available to about 80.9 million television households (87.8% of pay television customers) in the United States.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_America

Since I can no longer afford cable, I no longer have the pleasure of watching BBC Amer.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

On 2/18/2020 at 11:30 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

What do you think?  Which avatar would you approach if you saw them both at a club?

Neither in just a random social setting because neither are at all my type. Yes, appearance counts for me because in SL we choose what to present. No there’s not anything at all wrong with the way either avatar looks. Just to be clear. I did look at Rhonda’s profile, only because the thread asks ’what do I think’ and last name was supplied so it was easy to cut/paste. And yep, skimming that profile shows that we don’t share any readily apparent major interests. I definitely would not approach or ask a partnered female dominant with the last name of ‘Huntress’ to dance in the hypothetical random social situation. That said, I’d pretty much ask anyone from here to dance at a party organized for forum members, because the social dynamic would be different, at least to me. I do ask some people to dance, both male and female. Just not often. Usually something we have strongly in common in the profile or when it’s evident that we share an aesthetic makes me decide to.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think you're also right about interior vs. exterior perspective of the stories. One problem with the translation into a modern cultural milieu is that, as the class hierarchy has gradually been weakened, we've likely lost the capacity for that kind of subtlety and nuance: the aristocracy tend to be either doomed and slightly tragic, or just ridiculously anachronistic, with not much play between those poles. It's one reason, maybe, why the Blandings stories wouldn't (and haven't) worked as well in adaptation: Bertie, as a representative of his class, is satirical (gently or not), but Galahad Threepwood isn't really, or at least not quite in the same way, and his age makes us more uncertain of exactly how to read him. He's too old to be given a sort of pass for his immaturity. (I gather there was a short-lived BBC serialization of the Blandings novels less than a decade ago, but I haven't seen them. There was also a terrible adaptation of Heavy Weather in the mid 90s, with a reasonably good Galahad as played by Richard Briers, and an absolutely execrable Peter O'Toole as Clarence. O'Toole got it completely wrong, and just chewed up the scenery and anyone else who came within reach.)

Thread looks like a debate between the Oxford and Cambridge Literary societies now, Sheesh!

So.….Let's get it back to being serious. Last one to post a pic' in a sailor moon outfit with bunny ears buys the drinks!  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

So where's your picture?

The dog ate my outfit!....Saving up now to buy the drinks.  😥

(See that shirt in that there profile pic'? I actually own that. One of the few things I do own that's not a 'demo' since returning to the game as a pauper! RL doesn't pay out until Friday, sorry about that.)  ☹️

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

6f6.gif.f72a69715b761fcb9d05a08e1e490ce6.gif

No. I just searched the MP in mesnwear for "Sailor Moon" and I know "dis gon be crap". There is literally only one Sailor Moon cosplay outfit for men, and it fits only the Piggu avatar.

Which is kinda accurate, I guess...

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Let’s be honest here.. this is probably closer to reality for a lot of SL users than the Signature Gianni or whatever it is.

I resent that. It is absolutely untrue. I totally have more body hair than that. And better footwear.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

To be fair, though, that is pretty much how I felt during the later stages of pregnancy. I swear I had my own gravitational pull by that point. I didn't dare go too near the dockside in case someone tried to moor me.

There’s an avatar for that feeling too, if you were unfortunate to gain all over. 

6 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Well ... it is Fat Tuesday

indeed it is...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/piggu-June-20-Body-EARLY-ACCESS/18818551

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.