Sailing In belli? Where? When?

Dune Ravenwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just have to comment and laugh in an evil way about everybody screaming bloody murder about wanting water views and water access in Belli yet I never see a single soul out boating ever! It seems people are more obsessed with decorating to the point of addiction (myself included lol).

If you got the water...go boating for Gods sakes and relax and enjoy....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

I just have to comment and laugh in an evil way about everybody screaming bloody murder about wanting water views and water access in Belli yet I never see a single soul out boating ever! It seems people are more obsessed with decorating to the point of addiction (myself included lol).

I see boats, but after new regions is released. I think many new citizens say they want to sail in Belli, and start with it. But after a while, it is not exiting...

• Like 2

Having a decent boat makes a difference to the experience. The realism of the sounds, trimming the sails, trying out journeys under different wind conditions...or just lying on deck and watching the clouds go by.

Edit and start simple! Get something you can use right away by yourself, try the demo.

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

I don't think everyone wants a water view because they want to go boating. I'm sure there must be many like myself who like it for the view, location etc, feel of it.

I love my houseboat because it has a fantastic view and the water gives me a sense of relaxation and peacefulness, and I have fun being in my home there. That's it really.  I'm not into sailing/boating in SL, or in RL as a pass time. Having experienced now a water location through being in Bellisseria, if I ever moved in the future I would most likely want another home next to water.

That's not to say I haven't been out in a boat, I have, because it was fun and not something I'd done before. But I'm not really that interested in going on open water, or sailing as an experience in itself. So far for me it's just been about exploring new regions and it's been lovely to do that on the Bellisseria canals.

• Like 7

In my previous parcel in Donovan I was situated right beside the Panamole Canal and directly behind the beach. After I had decorated and settled in I sailed a few times. It was a fun way to spend an hour or so and a good way to see regions I hadn't up to that point. I took my baby for a ride around Belli's waterways and twice I took a friend too. The biggest issue I faced was lag.

Sailing anywhere near house boats usually had me snapping back more often than not, even with settings down as low as they could go, and slamming into other boats or parcels only to be warned I was trespassing. By the time my screen unfroze (or the dreaded black screen left) I was out of the boat with no chance to correct. Unfortunately to sail you also need DD up which generally means more to render which means lag, and there's not much you can do besides derender everything around you and hope you don't accidentally run into someone or something that is still technically in your path.

Another major issue I had was access. Sailing around the mainland of Belli isn't bad (lag aside) but the accessibility of inland waterways are. Had we the ability to sail to where the campers are or sail inland that would have been fun too. I realize that land elevation varies from region to region and these variances are offset by waterfalls and such which are quite beautiful and well done, but they're dead ends if you intend to visit by water.

For the most part the novelty has worn off now even though I have sailed a few times from current lot in Well Springs. The fact I can at present only go in one direction isn't a huge issue as I know the surrounding waterways will open in good time. Watching others come screaming past to slam into that invisible brick wall of an unopened region is kind of funny but it is lag-tastic too, and a danger to small-boaters such as myself. 🥺

And @Evangeline Arcadia is right; I love the view of the water more than anything. Sailing is secondary. The argument of having waterways not being used is no different to people asking for more community areas and not using the multitude of the ones we already have; it's all there to use at our discretion.

Edited by RaeLeeH
To edit of course.
  • Like 3

If you want to sail, brand of boat can go a long way towards improving this.

At a minimum you should ensure your boat uses some version of the bwind engine (which is most well known sailboats), if not the Bandit 'BOSS' derivative of Bwind (which is only found on one brand).

I then recommend sticking to the smaller and less 'added scripts' boats. I consider the Loonetta to be about the biggest boat I'm willing to use - and even that is massive compared to my other boats, but it's also a slow casual boat. It's still half the size of what I see some fools try to take out there...

I've not had the snapping back issues myself, nor any other major lag issues.

• Like 2

This time of year, with all the Christmas deco out, sailing is always best around sailor's cove. Bellisseria is a bit frustrating to sail at the moment too, because of the blocked off and absent sims. There is still plenty of nice waterway to explore but when time is limited there are better options available. Currently looking forward to seeing what the New England ski village will look like when that opens soon. 

• Like 1

Try a kayak. They seem to never crash, get stuck or lag and you go slow enough to cam around and see the views. The one I have is fantastic but sadly the store closed years ago. With a kayak I have gone down very small creeks in belli and saw great views ans details. I am a former Blake Sea resident so sailing/boating is in my blood.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good suggestion from Ziggy about Kayaks - they are low lag and very handy for actually allowing you to enjoy the scenery as you travel, plus of course they can squeeze into most places. I also concur that its better to use a relatively small boat, regardless of whether it's a sail boat or motor boat. Those huge 300 LI monster luxury yachts might look fancy, but in reality they are designed more for staying still than actually travelling in.

With regards to lag, one thing to understand is that whenever you start exploring, each time you enter a new area, all the objects and textures that are new to you must be downloaded into your viewer, and this will give you a bit of lag initially. However, once everything is cached, you'll find it gets easier. I spend at least 3 hours exploring Belli every day (though usually split between seas/road/air), and even on my crappy internet from the other side of the world, I get very little lag anywhere in Belli - probably cause I have every texture from the whole continent already in my cache :)

The second thing most people new to sailing (or any cross-region vehicle travelling) don't realise, is that you really need to cut down on all your scripts before you take a trip. Turn off your AO, then remove any other HUDS you might have on you - all those Body and Mesh head HUDS (and even some clothing HUDS) are very texture intensive and add considerably to the lag you'll experience. Oh and don't go travelling with your naughty bits attached 😱

Having said all that, sailing isn't for everyone, so don't feel the need that you do need to get out there on the water. If though you wouldn't mind at least taking a look round on a boat, I'm sure most Belli residents who own boats wouldn't mind passengers.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

The second thing most people new to sailing (or any cross-region vehicle travelling) don't realise, is that you really need to cut down on all your scripts before you take a trip. Turn off your AO, then remove any other HUDS you might have on you - all those Body and Mesh head HUDS (and even some clothing HUDS) are very texture intensive and add considerably to the lag you'll experience. Oh and don't go travelling with your naughty bits attached 😱

I recently got rid of my Catwa Head and Belleza jake bento body and went to a simpler Jomo mesh avatar with no extra animations or bento and just that alone saw my frame rates soar and lag decrease considerably. If need be, make an avatar with less bells and whistles just for sailing. Take off all huds unless for sailing. Going simpler is actually a little more fun without worrying about looks so much all the time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

My house is very close to the water. I see people boating every single day. There are single boats and there are groups of boats going by my house. Even I go boating, not every day but quite often anyway.

2019-05-14_traffic-2.thumb.jpg.71995630e573a1594d8585b0d9f35c17.jpg

2019-09-07_traffic-1.thumb.jpg.3a6e805c78b47dccadad489b53b99bdc.jpg

2019-09-08_boats-3.thumb.jpg.8500731e635fa6678a4990781da4ce49.jpg

2019-09-08_boats-1.thumb.jpg.f807d9fdb6a6b0c43688c1057ce354f6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I consider the Loonetta to be about the biggest boat I'm willing to use

I concur with this. Anything larger that isn't a freight-related beast is utterly laughable.

For sailboats, the Loonetta is one of the best, its one and only downfall is that it's no-modify. I also love the idea that the couples animations in it are G/PG. It's an excellent boat in terms of features as well (better features than Bandit/TMS) - though Bandit is certainly the next best one can buy (I place them as a tie for best sailboat, actually).

But one thing people tend to not think of is motor-boating. Sailing can be fun, but so is motor-boating and Bandit/TMS motor boats are amazing. And a fantastic alternative to Bandit motor-boats are those by Markus Hirszberg (Ocean Industries).

In earlier days of Bellisseria one could spot large green dot groups on the world map, usually an open party at someones home, or a barge party (usually) north of the Fairgrounds, Flotilla parades... perhaps it's the slower Holiday season, but not seeing as much activity currently (The groups tend to be too spammy for my taste, but more information there obviously). By "spammy" I'm referring to a group notice that says "Party happening NOW" - rather than a Group CHAT message, which would make more sense as only people in-world would get it. But I digress.

As for boating in Belli - why would anyone need a a flotilla? Just rez your boat and go. :D

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

I concur with this. Anything larger that isn't a freight-related beast is utterly laughable.

For sailboats, the Loonetta is one of the best, its one and only downfall is that it's no-modify.

But one thing people tend to not think of is motor-boating. Sailing can be fun, but so is motor-boating and Bandit/TMS motor boats are amazing. And a fantastic alternative to Bandit motor-boats are those by Markus Hirszberg (Ocean Industries).

Motoboating is another area where one should confirm good boating engines. I also have a Bandit/TMS boat and recommend it.

As noted above, also look at your own sources of lag.

• Go to 'Avatar -> Avatar Health -> Scripts' and look at sources of script load. When you cross sims your scripts need to all be moved over to the new server - so this is one area where 'script memory' AND 'script time' are important.
    • Checking script time is a little more difficult but is also the only metric that actually matters... You CAN check it here:
      http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Pengallen Bridge/212/55/62 - there's a meter just near there. I also have one on my Bellisseria plot but it uses 13 land impact so it might not be there for long. Without... using a scripted meter to check it... I think the only way to see it is to be an estate owner... You might notice that this meter tells you your bloated but then gives you a green or yellow response a minute later... that's our issue here... sim crossings process all your scripts... so if you have even what is normally not a bad amount... one that crossing you lag-spike, and that can toss you from a vehicle... so when sailing you want even less scripts than normal.
  • - Use your Belleza HUD to remove scripts from your Belleza body if you use that brand. Use any equivalent another brand has or don't use that body while sailing if it lacks it.
  • Use your Catwa HUD to remove scripts from your head if you use that brand. Use any equivalent another brand has or don't use that head while sailing if it lacks it.
  • - Remove scripts from ALL clothing and hair or don't wear those items...
  • - Remove all HUDs you don't need
  • - Move your AO into Firestorm or your viewer's built in AO or... don't wear an AO if your viewer lacks such. Some non-ZHAO AOs are massive sources of lag... ZHAO is one of the oldest AO engines in SL, and also one of the least laggy... because it is so lacking in features... But it does the basics and you're sailing so you don't even need it...
  • - Get your 'Complexity' under 60,000... or get off that boat and stick to the SL-fashion runway where that bloated avatar belongs... :D

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We do love to sail and that is the reason we wanted a Houseboat in Bellisseria in the first place.  We’re thrilled with the lack of ban lines and 0 second orbs too... those ARE the ultimate perks of sailing around Bellisseria!  I have a Looneta which we love and both can sail as Owner can allow access to anyone using a menu.  It is the biggest I’m comfortable sailing with lovely for a lazy sailor like me!  I have an Ocean Beach catamaran which is also our fave for the great animations but I can only ‘hand-over’ control so I can’t leave it out for my partner to sail.  He has a beautiful Sweet Pea with the same ‘hand-over only’ issue, so he can’t leave it out for me to sail either.  We most often tend to resort to a wearable instead, especially for sight-seeing, as these won’t go adrift when we pause to chat or admire a view.  There is SO MUCH to enjoy around Bellisseria, we often get distracted from our boating to pursue a hike or a bike ride.  We also enjoy cruises and go on any we find HUDs or maps for when we get the opportunity.  We like to cruise before 2 PM SLT before it gets too late UK time.  When Doc takes out a Party Island in any of the sizes he’s experimented with, we always see boats and some just pass or wave or exchange a friendly “Ahoy” and some anchor or moor and party with us for while and some even jump on and join the fun!  The highest LI of any of these Party Islands Doc has made is 16 LI, if I remember correctly.  Doc and I and most regular Party People around Belli (we have met) seem to know that a low Complexity certainly helps with most lag and for those who can’t enjoy being part of a party in person we encourage them to just listen to the stream wherever they are and chat in IM or Group IM and that’s nearly as much fun especially the fun is shared in pics and .gifs.

We hope to be fully recovered and back in FULL PARTY gear by New Year or so and we’re truly excited to party and sail or float all over Belli like the silly 🏴‍☠️ ‘Pirate Radio’  🏴‍☠️ renegades we are!  🤩😂  hope to see you all out there again soon!

• Like 3

On 12/11/2019 at 4:00 AM, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Try a kayak. They seem to never crash, get stuck or lag and you go slow enough to cam around and see the views. The one I have is fantastic but sadly the store closed years ago. With a kayak I have gone down very small creeks in belli and saw great views ans details. I am a former Blake Sea resident so sailing/boating is in my blood.

That’s what I’ve been doing. Is yours a Galiko? I’ve had people IM me when I’ve been out in it. I wish they were still in business. I’ve been able to get in very narrow areas with it. I had more trouble navigating my sailboat, so I haven’t bothered with that as much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The map still shows http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SSPE384/132/142/24 as land, but it's now water you can sail through:

TheyFixedSomeWater_002.thumb.jpg.c14f3d78a18ad2b98a5e5c3b68bd90cf.jpg

That means You can sail around the entirety of Belisseria - though since we didn't get the added water land, it's not a region-wide coast and can be thin in a few places.

So there's potential now for a super long couple-hour parade route.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.