Would you guys buy... Notes? Please read-

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure if it's as stupid as it sounds, but I want to do something good for Second Life.

I seem to write records down, and in sl I am a DFS player and I organize with notecards, and provide extra information regarding anything from building, scripting, and I make things neat and easy for me to read as a spacehead, I tend to not have the BEST memory. I am also a writer in real life, Music and Novel wise haha. 

Point is.

Would you guys pay for informational or neat organized information made by Myself, not copyright of course. 

Would you be interested in reading notecard novels? Maybe even going to the extend of scripting book/cases so you have a physical feel?

I'm too creative.. Tell me what you're thinking. Is this dumb?

7 hours ago, Vimerietta said:

Maybe even going to the extend of scripting book/cases so you have a physical feel?

That’d be cute for about 15 minutes; then you better believe I’d just copy the notecard’s contents, dump ’em into a .txt file, transfer it to my tablet, and close SL for an actual, comfortable & distraction-free reading. Maybe I’m not much of an immersionist, but if your work really interested me, I’d want to immerse in that, rather than in looking like I’m reading. You could offer free in-world samples indeed, but whole novels? Dunno about that.

The one thing I think there’s a niche for, is in being an editor of sorts. A lot of written contents in SL are rather poorly done, and while not a lot of people will consciously look for spelling, grammar & structure mistakes (and quite a few wouldn’t find them even if they tried), it still gives a feeling of lack of polish that, for example for Marketplace products, makes you suspect the actual product may be just as unpolished. A professional-looking writing goes a long way in selling the stuff—using your own words, it gives the feeling of neat organization behind the scenes.

I’d advise looking for high-volume merchants whose Marketplace/in-world writing ads make you think you could vastly improve on, and give them a few samples of how you’d do it.

Edited by Ren Toxx
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

What is DFS?

Being from the UK all I can think of relating to those letters is a sofa shop. 

Makes me glad I wasn't only UK person thinking the same! :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrsSeren said:

Makes me glad I wasn't only UK person thinking the same! :D 

I'm from the U.S. and *I* don't know what that DFS is supposed to be. Falling back to initials and acronyms with the presumption your audience know WTF you're talking about is a sign of a lazy mind and bad communications skills. See what I did there? LOL

14 hours ago, Vimerietta said:

I'm not sure if it's as stupid as it sounds, but I want to do something good for Second Life.

I seem to write records down, and in sl I am a DFS player and I organize with notecards, and provide extra information regarding anything from building, scripting, and I make things neat and easy for me to read as a spacehead, I tend to not have the BEST memory. I am also a writer in real life, Music and Novel wise haha. 

Point is.

Would you guys pay for informational or neat organized information made by Myself, not copyright of course. 

Would you be interested in reading notecard novels? Maybe even going to the extend of scripting book/cases so you have a physical feel?

I'm too creative.. Tell me what you're thinking. Is this dumb?

I used to be a SL bookseller, and some of the "books" I sold were notecard-based (contained within sculptie books). I don't think there's a big market for that, tbh.

A slightly better route to go is the old "Intellibook" system, with books that you can read as a HUD,  as well as in the form of scripted in-world objects. They are more fun to use, but laggy and (relatively) expensive to produce, because they are built from textures.

In practice, though, most people prefer to read in their browser, whether it's the SL in-viewer one, or Chrome/Safari/Firefox/Whatever.

I'd strongly recommend a blog. You'll get a much greater reach that way. And, if this is what you want, you can also potentially monetize it should your readership grow to the point that it is feasible to attract advertisements. There are, of course, a ton of SL blogs out there, but if you're good enough, you can attract a sizable audience. (Witness, for instance, Strawberry Singh's success!)

A novel would be very hard to read in notecard form. I have taken part in hunts with short stories in notecards and have run a couple like that myself. It works well enough when it's a short piece, especially if it's one that can split easily. The story I did was a set of letters, so the divisions were already there.

But if you want to get into writing in a big way, especially a novel, you'd be better off publishing a standard ebook rather than trying to make a book in Second Life. The platform just isn't good at handling long texts.

If you have a large body of information to impart, e-books.

If you have information in fairly short snippets, a blog.

You can sell links to either or both in SL.  However, I find that most people won't pay for information about SL...they simply don't realize that they need it, even if they do.

That's why I teach free classes.

@VimeriettaYou may want to check out Book Island in world.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Book Island/172/206/36

5 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

What is DFS?

Being an old IT nerd my first thoughts were Dedicated File Server (or Distributed File System depending on who you ask), Dell Financial Services or Depth First Search.

My google-fu seems to think that it is probably Daily Fantasy Sports but I am betting even that is wrong.  /me shrugs

Edited by Rhonda Huntress

58 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I used to be a SL bookseller, and some of the "books" I sold were notecard-based (contained within sculptie books). I don't think there's a big market for that, tbh.

I managed the Reference section of the Community Virtual Library for many years, where we had the same experience. CVL offers a large selection of free books.  In my experience, the least popular were notecard based.  Many more people would take copies of facsimile books that the user would click to open a web-based edition (Gutenberg Project, largely).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm from the U.S. and *I* don't know what that DFS is supposed to be. Falling back to initials and acronyms with the presumption your audience know WTF you're talking about is a sign of a lazy mind and bad communications skills. See what I did there? LOL

DFS for us in UK is basically furniture store; supposedly used to be Doncaster Furniture Superstore but been DFS many years well for most of my almost 35 years however  there you now are in the know! :D 

Edit: Though I am guessing you mean the OP but either way I still felt to explain the DFS thing why me and Aethelwine was amused.

Edited by MrsSeren
just thought of something else

21 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

What is DFS?

Being from the UK all I can think of relating to those letters is a sofa shop. 

Me too. And if OP wants to be true to that namesake, all her stock needs to be permanently on sale.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, MrsSeren said:

DFS for us in UK is basically furniture store; supposedly used to be Doncaster Furniture Superstore but been DFS many years well for most of my almost 35 years however  there you now are in the know! :D 

Edit: Though I am guessing you mean the OP but either way I still felt to explain the DFS thing why me and Aethelwine was amused.

Thank you! :) And I can see how it would be funny how the OP phrased it. Whenever I make reference to something I think is very well know in the U.S> I always try to remember to add a little description at the end of my post for those in other countries who may not know. For example I mentioned a "Nordsrom's" store in some other post, in the U.S. we know it is high-priced, high-quality literal-opposite of Walmart, so I explained that for those in the rest of the word. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Thank you! :) And I can see how it would be funny how the OP phrased it. Whenever I make reference to something I think is very well know in the U.S> I always try to remember to add a little description at the end of my post for those in other countries who may not know. For example I mentioned a "Nordsrom's" store in some other post, in the U.S. we know it is high-priced, high-quality literal-opposite of Walmart, so I explained that for those in the rest of the word. :)

I wasn't first to see it but more than happy to explain and share funnies if needed as they don't always transmit well so happy TGIF to ya and will remember that for future posts of mine if it happens!

Edited by MrsSeren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.