Shopping Strategies

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I am in large store inworld (e,g, two floors with six rooms on each floor) I have trouble remembering the candidates for purchase as I work through the store. What strategies do you use to find a dress/hair/date-for-the-night-candidate (smirk) you saw earlier?

Large stores are infuriating to navigate but I love doing mouseview to get the real feel. Some like to cam. I usually work around the outside displays systematically, breaking off for the centre islands. It takes concentration and a good memory. I sometimes have to resort to MP to refind something.

I'm presently revisiting all my LM stores to restock. Finding new ones is tough but I'm up for the challenge! On MP I just bang things into my wishlist for later, or sometimes basket, which seems to have settled down now.

My pet hate is crowded laggy stores with avis hanging round gachas and lucky chairs......

Just now, Fritigern Gothly said:

I like to write down the candidates in a notecard, and sometimes I take LMs to the exact location of each vendor and put that in the notecard as well.
I usually use area search instead of taking LMs to locate the vendors though.

I hadn't thought about using area search.  That's a good suggestion. 

I just use my favorites list on the MP and delete them when I'm done. Some things end up on my wish list but I don't really think anyone is going to pay for full perm stuff for me. lol Eventually I'll get around to moving them to my favorites. 

Life's messy! Clean it up!

Yeah, yeah. I'll get a roundtuit. Now where did I put that box...

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 1

Belinda - I pretty much do my shopping much like you. However, I often fail in the "concentration and good memory" departments,

Fritigern - I agree with moirakathleen about area search being a good tool for shopping, I am often in need of a good tool. Thanks,

• Like 1

Selene - I do the same thing when MP shopping. However, I often like inworld shopping over MP shopping even though MP shopping is much more efficient. I don't know why that is. I am considering getting a therapist to help me figure that out. Grin.

1 hour ago, KathyGables said:

Selene - I do the same thing when MP shopping. However, I often like inworld shopping over MP shopping even though MP shopping is much more efficient. I don't know why that is. I am considering getting a therapist to help me figure that out. Grin.

I rarely buy from the MP. I use it like a catalog and then purchase at the inworld store. No inworld store? I'll look elsewhere first before buying from someone that does not have a "physical" store.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I rarely buy from the MP. I use it like a catalog and then purchase at the inworld store. No inworld store? I'll look elsewhere first before buying from someone that does not have a "physical" store.

Thanks for that. I don't know why I prefer inworld shopping (except when I am in a hurry) but your view makes sense and I will adopt it, Thanks for saving me a trip to a therapist, 

1 hour ago, KathyGables said:

Thanks for that. I don't know why I prefer inworld shopping (except when I am in a hurry) but your view makes sense and I will adopt it, Thanks for saving me a trip to a therapist, 

I thought you might catch on. It works better for me that way because I can also "window shop" at the same time. If the store has the kind of things I want, then I will landmark it as worth going back. If they only have one or two things I like, chances are I won't go back. Not for a long time anyway.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I just use Firestorm's area search.

I think this is a very under utilized feature, it has many great uses, from finding things in stores, locating misplaced items, even editing pose balls after you have sat on them without having to stand.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

If I'm getting a demo, I will take a LM at the vendor display and then put the LM in the demo folder.  Sometimes this doesn't work correctly with set landing points, but a lot of times it does work.  I especially find this useful for big events.  

I take LM too but I didnt think to add it to the demo folder. Usually I edit the LM with the 'candidate' in the title, then delete it later once Ive decided. Sometimes the landing points dont work as  Moirakathleen said. I wish stores could be 'area searched' at events. 

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I grab demos and a single LM to the store/event.  When I return to purchase, if I'm not sure where something is, I just use Firestorm's area search.

^ This. Though for stores like The Loft which are so laggy I crash if I attempt to visit, I just use Marketplace. Other times I'm finding I like the actual setups of sales events more than the items on sale themselves so I'll grab the names of the object or creator, check profile to see if their store is listed, and maybe visit the store that way. Or again, resort back to MP. I also have a DEMO folder that I try and keep clean, because my internet connection is bad so the less I carry the easier it is to log in/out. For everything else I'll write the object name and creator on a notecard - and probably never look at it again. 😅

This whole thing makes me sound more organized than I swear I am, but since I don't have the freedom to just teleport to especially larger, more densely populated areas (or crash), I've had to find other methods that work instead.

• Like 1

I usually shop in world, only MP if searching something specific.

My strategy is standing at the entrance / landing zone and cam around. Either at shops or events. And when I see something interesting, I zoom out a bit, locate where it is and walk to/stand in front of it so I keep track on where I am at in my cam round. Directly buy and try the demo. Most of the times demo's unpack when attaching it these days, so its pretty easy to demo in store/event right away.

Once done with the demo I buy or not, and continue my cam from where I stand, till I find the next interesting piece, and repeat.

2 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Shop like a man, know what you are wanting to buy, find first acceptable example, buy it, go home

I think the strategies are not so different, just the standards on what is an acceptable example ;) And its just so much more efficient to buy a few more acceptable examples from other stuff while your already at the store anyway!

1 hour ago, KanryDrago said:

Shop like a man, know what you are wanting to buy, find first acceptable example, buy it, go home

But..... but.... but.... while I "might" know exactly what I want when I go into a store, there are often so many other things that catch my eye and become new "wants".

It is sort of like what happens with my husband when he enters a tool or gadget store.

I like getting the item I came in for and that's it, but I also like looking around to see if that creator has something that would be even better, or other items on my shopping list. On the MP I check the creator's store, and in-world I'll go to the location and check it out.

I only rarely save landmarks. When there are expensive items in-world I'm considering and wanting to check out my other choices first, or they have a lot of things I'll want in the near future. Before I drop $1499L on a building or furniture set I want to be sure I can't easily find something cheaper for the same quality first. Sometimes that one is the best and it's worth it - but you never know if you don't look.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.