Security/Privacy and New Linden Homes

Constantine Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i had a good look round. The visuals are great! the LDPW can take a bow

some random orb told me that I had 1 second to get off the public footpath or else. That home owner might want to check the over my parcel thingy on that one. Although the local convenor of the Society of Polite Neighborly Neighbors probably be along soon to politely tell that neighbour that the Police will be informed of their unneighbourly behaviour. Like 1 whole second or death :) The local convenor will have to yell this info at them tho, ever so politely, from the footpath or else it be death for them if they step 1 inch off the footpath :D

and I noticed, because nosey, that some home owners already have lists of people banned by name. So if you are flying around then don't go by their home, as you might be on their list and hit the invisible tower of doom and your aeroplane, balloon or helicopter could end up anywhere, with you safely wrapped once more in the bosom of your own home

but anyways, that will all work itself out no doubt

back to a more positive note before things go all dark and short breathed

I also noticed, that the streets have no names. That could be a community-building activity that people could be engaged in now, organised by the Linden In Charge Of Linden Neighborhoods(tm) or maybe a Mole delegated to be the LDPW Minister in Charge of Street Names

Residents could come up with a list of names for the streets on their home region. The Moles could then go round and put up the street signs and mailbox numbers. Then people could live at 3 Dingleberry Road, Sallie. etc. Would be quite nice that, specially for the people who have chosen the suburbia homes

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

and I noticed, because nosey, that some home owners already have lists of people banned by name. So if you are flying around then don't go by their home, as you might be on their list and hit the invisible tower of doom and your aeroplane, balloon or helicopter could end up anywhere, with you safely wrapped once more in the bosom of your own home

The "invisible tower of doom" is visible, your aeroplane, balloon or helicopter will be stuck to the ban lines like flypaper because an explicit ban doesn't allow object entry for the objects of the person banned, and you'll stay seated in your vehicle because ban lines don't teleport you home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

Those people could be on their lists for reasons other than just flying too low to the ground. Could be repeatedly rude/obnoxious "neighbors" in the community or just people TP'ing in just to see what trouble they could cause when the access lists were changed last week. I think most people ignore a flyby the first time.

For the longest time, anytime I moved somewhere new, within an hour of being there, my ban list had 10 names on it: My stalker's main and known + possible alts of his that were used to spy on and harass me. Even when I left Zoya here for dead in the void and was on an alt he did not know about, those names still hit my list. So to people like you exploring and being nosy checking their lists, I probably looked extremely ban happy, when in reality, all 10 of those names belonged to one person.

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

some random orb told me that I had 1 second to get off the public footpath or else. That home owner might want to check the over my parcel thingy on that one.

Wow, I didn't even know that orbs could monitor outside of your owned parcel. Then again, when I got one (ended up using less than 24 hours) I tested it repeatedly with my alt from different directions and with different settings to make sure it was only dealing with my land & gave "new drivers" time to move before just ejecting.

So far everyone I have seen has been polite. Did have one person that stopped on the sidewalk in front of my house while I was up on a work platform yesterday. After a few minutes of them there, I TP'd back to ground level and then to the sidewalk next to the back of my house and watched them for a bit (because of what I previously mentioned, I can be wary) and checked their profile. Seeing no sign of my ex/stalker, I went back to what I was doing.

Edited by Zoya McDonnagh
words are hard before coffee
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

Wow, I didn't even know that orbs could monitor outside of your owned parcel.

that one is just badly scripted. Using a sensor to detect nearby avatars, and not checking if the detected avatar is llOverMyLand() before sending the dialog message

most of the security orbs do the check, just not that one I ran into

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The "invisible tower of doom" is visible, your aeroplane, balloon or helicopter will be stuck to the ban lines like flypaper because an explicit ban doesn't allow object entry for the objects of the person banned, and you'll stay seated in your vehicle because ban lines don't teleport you home.

true, my bad

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

that one is just badly scripted. Using a sensor to detect nearby avatars, and not checking if the detected avatar is llOverMyLand() before sending the dialog message

most of the security orbs do the check, just not that one I ran into

Ahh okay. Up until last Wednesday, I haven't used orbs in a looooooong time. I was either on a private island or got lazy in my old linden home and just used the ban lines because your land was the same footprint as the house. But even then, I was able to reason that anything past my parcel wasn't a great idea.

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

some random orb told me that I had 1 second to get off the public footpath or else. That home owner might want to check the over my parcel thingy on that one. Although the local convenor of the Society of Polite Neighborly Neighbors probably be along soon to politely tell that neighbour that the Police will be informed of their unneighbourly behaviour. Like 1 whole second or death :) The local convenor will have to yell this info at them tho, ever so politely, from the footpath or else it be death for them if they step 1 inch off the footpath :D

If it was a large yellow house. I got hit by it yesterday when I cycled past it, and I was clearly on the public path

9 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

SO RUDE. I hope their naked pixel bottom is really worth that kind of overly aggressive "security", but somehow I doubt it.

for that person, their naked pixel bottom would at least be equal to he amount of their own money they have put into SL

Just now, Mollymews said:

for that person, their naked pixel bottom would at least be equal to he amount of their own money they have put into SL

I have put LOADS of my own money into SL since 2010, and feel no need to install a 0 seconds orb that flings innocent travelers all the way home. I stand by my opinion that that behavior is rude. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Easten West said:

Still no update on when the orbs are coming?

not yet

a thought I would add on here about a Linden made and provided orb for this estate

the things that will most exercise the design thinking are: minimum time and range

given that the houses are all of a known size (being Linden-built) then it could be that the minimum time and range are graduated/differential

inside the frame of the house (the box) then the owner can set it to a really short time, even 0. Top of the box be about house roof level - a lot less than the banlines box. On the basis of what does some rando want to be doing exactly inside my house anyway.  Beyond this, like the lawn and water at house level and up to 2000m then the minimum could be longer say 15 seconds. Which given the size of the parcels should not impede any vehicle passing over/thru, or any virtual children who dunno how to get off my lawn on their way to the skate park. Above 2000m then the security uses the short time

is fairly straightforward to script a graduated security system like this. When a agent is detected  on the parcel: Is it inside the house box or is it above 2000m. When so then short time applies. When not then long time applies

ps add.  It could also be done as an Experience. Like instead of sending people home or ejecting them which could easily toss the agent onto another parcel where the security is active also, and the next and next. The experience could just teleport them to the footpath

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I have put LOADS of my own money into SL since 2010, and feel no need to install a 0 seconds orb that flings innocent travelers all the way home. I stand by my opinion that that behavior is rude. 

that it might be rude to boot another person out of your house with zero warning, this is not quallified by what you think the value of their pixel butt is worth. Its worth what they decide. You only get to value your own butt

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

So the owner of the orb, who most likely does not have mod rights on the script, and since they are the owner of it have no real way to know what it does exactly, aside from maybe a Marketplace listing...  That's the villain right?  Not the person who failed to script it properly before foisting it on an unsuspecting public?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

that it might be rude to boot another person out of your house with zero warning, this is not quallified by what you think the value of their pixel butt is worth. Its worth what they decide. You only get to value your own butt

Not sure what you are trying to get across here, but again, I stand by my opinion that a 0 seconds warning orb is rude. 

7 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

So the owner of the orb, who most likely does not have mod rights on the script, and since they are the owner of it have no real way to know what it does exactly, aside from maybe a Marketplace listing...  That's the villain right?  Not the person who failed to script it properly before foisting it on an unsuspecting public?

Why would you assume that the owner did not use the orb's menu to choose the warning time?  I have never once had to mod a script to pick the settings I wanted for an orb. 

(Just for funs, I just looked at an Alyssa orb. First of all, it's full perm. Secondly, there is indeed a menu that allows you to pick a warning time.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Not sure what you are trying to get across here, but again, I stand by my opinion that a 0 seconds warning orb is rude. 

you said you doubted that the home owner's pixel butt was worth a zero warning security system

Just now, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Why would you assume that the owner did not use the orb's menu to choose the warning time?  I have never once had to mod a script to pick the settings I wanted for an orb. 

(Just for funs, I just looked at an Alyssa orb. First of all, it's full perm. Secondly, there is indeed a menu that allows you to pick a warning time.)

I think she's referring to the fact that the orb is sending warning messages to people who aren't even on the parcel.

• Like 1

Once the LL orbs are available, all this nonsense about setting orbs will go away.  This is the very reason why LL will not allow you to use your personal orb, because some people are just not reasonable. Just look at the Mainland for many examples.   In Private sims the sim owners have rules for minimum orb eject times, violate it and they will Return your orb, and if you insist on breaking their rules again, you will lose your land for violating the Covenant you agreed to when renting.

It's too bad, but I am sure some homeowners will put anyone on their Ban list for a simple 10 second flyover at 400 meters.  They must enjoy killing other's activity in SL.  There are no public air markers up in the sky either, so avoiding a parcel flyover is nearly impossible in heavily populated areas.

Edited by ShamuO77
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I was talking about the 0 seconds orb that Coby encountered while flying. 

31 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

14 hours ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

Wow, I didn't even know that orbs could monitor outside of your owned parcel.

There's been a lot of back and forth with comments about the orbs. I think some wires have gotten crossed. :) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.