Security/Privacy and New Linden Homes

Constantine Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

43 minutes ago, Gingir Ghoststar said:

That open space provides the prims for sim decor elsewhere and for prims in the house boats. 

I believe the person who suggested this was referring to all those water regions that were added to connect the continents. I hadn't thought about the fact that those are openspace regions that have very few resources anyway. So, that probably wouldn't really be feasible. I wasn't suggesting to do that above where the house boats are located. I know that the Moles have squeezed out every little bit to decorate or provide rez zones in those areas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I believe the person who suggested this was referring to all those water regions that were added to connect the continents. I hadn't thought about the fact that those are openspace regions that have very few resources anyway. So, that probably wouldn't really be feasible. I wasn't suggesting to do that above where the house boats are located. I know that the Moles have squeezed out every little bit to decorate or provide rez zones in those areas. 

Ah, I misunderstood,  I thought they were referring to the open waters between house boats and sailing. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 8:45 AM, Odaks said:

For some reason I'm finding it difficult to find several of the pages that have been mentioned recently on this thread; probably because I'm just stupid half the time!

May I have a pointer this page, please?

Maybe someone allready gave you the answer- only saw your question now. - I meant THIS Page

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Maybe someone allready gave you the answer- only saw your question now. - I meant THIS Page

Thanks! I hadn't realised, at that time, that you won't be shown that page (with available homes) if you are already in possession of  a Linden home. Callo Dinzel kindly shot me the link, but I needed an alt to see it.

• Like 2

• Moles

As @Abnor Mole and I have said when this question came up a while ago, some people may still be unaware that their security orbs need to meet the same standards as the Linden Home Security System distributed through your Content Pack. 

You may not have an orb that detects people outside your own parcel. 

It may only Eject, not send people home. 

It may not have a range greater than 400m. 

It may not be placed between 100m and 2000m above sea level.

And it may not have a warning time shorter than 15 seconds.

The neighborhood doesn't really need vigilante squads trying to root out non-conforming orbs.  If you run across a system that does not meet those criteria, I suggest sending the owner a polite reminder.  If that doesn't work, then consider submitting an Abuse Report. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

As Abnor Mole pointed out somewhere (possibly even this thread), we shouldn't assume that people are deliberately defying the rules about security orbs when they may simply not be aware of them.

The few times I've been caught by overzealous security orbs I've sent the owner a very polite note suggesting that she may not be aware of the recent change in rules, summarising what they are (specifically, a delay of at least 15 seconds before ejecting trespassers from the parcel and *not* teleporting them home), referring them to  Patch's announcement at 

and suggesting they may want either to change their security orb's settings or use on of the LL-provided orbs in the new content creation packs.

It takes only a couple of minutes (less, now I have a notecard written out) and it can't hurt -- I am slow to ascribe malice to what can perfectly adequately be explained by lack of knowledge.    If it keeps on happening on the same parcel, which it hasn't yet, I'd consider AR-ing the orb but not yet.   

But I do think it's important to let people know, politely, that the rules have changed recently, rather than sit at home complaining.

ETA  Dyna posted just as I did -- the notification popped up just as I was sending my post!

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Dyna Mole said:

As @Abnor Mole and I have said when this question came up a while ago, some people may still be unaware that their security orbs need to meet the same standards as the Linden Home Security System distributed through your Content Pack. 

You may not have an orb that detects people outside your own parcel. 

It may only Eject, not send people home. 

It may not have a range greater than 400m. 

It may not be placed between 100m and 2000m above sea level.

And it may not have a warning time shorter than 15 seconds.

The neighborhood doesn't really need vigilante squads trying to root out non-conforming orbs.  If you run across a system that does not meet those criteria, I suggest sending the owner a polite reminder.  If that doesn't work, then consider submitting an Abuse Report. 

Not apart of a vigilante squad Just flying to my BFF's house and it sent me home. I only got a popup saying i was sent home by the name of the orb or i would have contacted them 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jellybeangirl101 said:

Not apart of a vigilante squad Just flying to my BFF's house and it sent me home. I only got a popup saying i was sent home by the name of the orb or i would have contacted them 

It might of been the same orb i was sent home by abi lol 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

now I have a notecard written out

I realise that you might not want to stick your neck out quite this far, but would you consider sharing the wording of your polite notecard with us, please?

It strikes me that it would be a very good thing if we were all saying the same thing, should it happen to us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odaks said:

I realise that you might not want to stick your neck out quite this far, but would you consider sharing the wording of your polite notecard with us, please?

It strikes me that it would be a very good thing if we were all saying the same thing, should it happen to us.

yeah that would be a good idea 

Just now, Abnor Mole said:

The Linden Homes Covenant has also been updated to include the regulations regarding security orbs and devices. You can direct them there as well so they can see for themselves.

Great! Thanks for that. All that might be required now is an initial IM to the offending person, saying something like:-

Hi [P-lonker Resident}, I'm very sorry to disturb you, but I'm apologising  for  accidentally hitting your parcel today. Unfortunately, your security system caused me a lot of problems which it shouldn't have done. You may not be aware of the new security rules so I'm sending you a summary by notecard, and you might like to take a look at [Patch's Post] and the Covenant of your parcel.

Now that the Covenant is fully updated, a notecard might not required at all: just the reference to the Covenant.

• Like 1

From the Knowledge Base:

A covenant is a set of terms and conditions determined by an estate owner. It may outline such details as local theme, rental fees, architectural regulations, and rules of behavior in the Private Region. To purchase a parcel on an estate, a Resident must agree to the estate's covenant.

You don't need to set a covenant to enable land sale on your estate, but you should do so if you plan to establish zoning or other rules.

Covenants are viewable by the parcel owner at all times in the Covenant tabs of the About Land window and the REGION/ESTATE window.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Don't presume people know where to find the Covenant (or even what that is explicitly).

Well, they were clever enough to have jumped on a new Linden Home in the first round of releases, and smart enough to set up a security orb over their parcel, but not aware at all of what they were buying into? Maybe the "polite message" pointing out the requirements should be a rather more pointed one. I daren't give an example one because the Mods would take it down!

But, sadly, you're probably right. They just don't know.

Edited by Odaks
  • Like 1

Since we are talking about this, I do have a question regarding the orbs and flying.  I was flying my helicopter yesterday, at 150m and was hit with 2 different orb warnings as I was flying over.  One had a 15 second warning and the other had a 5 second warning.  Was I flying too low and should go to 200m or is that still too low?

13 minutes ago, Vega Firelyte said:

Since we are talking about this, I do have a question regarding the orbs and flying.  I was flying my helicopter yesterday, at 150m and was hit with 2 different orb warnings as I was flying over.  One had a 15 second warning and the other had a 5 second warning.  Was I flying too low and should go to 200m or is that still too low?

With the old system using banlines, you would have been fine at 150m but the new parameters allow up to 400m.  The one with a 5 second delay was not within the rules because 15 seconds is the minimum.  As for the more possibly legal one, you were fine anyway since you were apparently just flying along and would clear any parcel in well under 15 seconds if you were moving faster than a walk.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.