I am getting tired of people complaining there is nothing to do in Second Life.

Jules Catlyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Talligurl said:

SL is a form of entertainment, but unlike watching a concert or a play, everyone gets to choose whether they sit in the audience or they climb up on stage, The ones who are bored are the ones in the audience, because it never gets boring on the stage. 

No, it can get awfully boring on the stage if there is no audience.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Talligurl said:

SL is a form of entertainment, but unlike watching a concert or a play, everyone gets to choose whether they sit in the audience or they climb up on stage, The ones who are bored are the ones in the audience, because it never gets boring on the stage. 

While I like this analogy, it is flawed. During my years in community theater, we'd have been mortified if we bored an audience. And I have seen subpar performances of long running plays that lingered past their prime, wearing out the cast to the point they phoned it in. At post-run cast parties, I'd see a mix of lamentation over leaving interesting characters behind and eagerness for new roles. Those eager for new opportunities don't complain about being bored by the old ones. They're too busy being eager.

Though I don't get bored, I am fickle. I have a long history of dropping hobbies or fields of interest the moment I develop a working understanding of them. It's at that point that something completely foreign to me will capture my attention... because it's completely foreign to me. For me, learning is much more pleasurable than knowing.

The world has no obligation to be interesting to anyone, and that has opened the door to the creation of entertainment industries. As with other manufactured things, you can pay someone to entertain you or you can do it yourself. As with making physical things, self entertainment requires talents and skills that not everyone possesses or develops equally.

Though it's never compelled me to start a thread, I do wonder why some people brag about their boredom, just as I wonder why some people brag about their innumeracy.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Though it doesn't rise to the level of compelling me to start a thread, I do wonder why people brag about their boredom. I also wonder why people brag about their innumeracy.

I have come to the conclusion that “bored” people are boring. If you can’t entertain yourself..then you probably expect other people to entertain you.

I had to look up “innumeracy”; bragging about that is like saying you don’t like to read.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I have come to the conclusion that “bored” people are boring. If you can’t entertain yourself..then you probably expect other people to entertain you.

I had to look up “innumeracy”; bragging about that is like saying you don’t like to read.

I've certainly heard people brag about not liking to read. I've wondered if it's a defense mechanism, as in "I meant to do that" when we break something, or "I hate ice-cream" when your cone falls to the sidewalk.

ETA: I haven't read the entire thread, but complaints about complaints of boredom often presume some sense of entitlement. I'm not sure that's the crux.

ETA2: The idea that bored people are boring doesn't survive much scrutiny. If you engage people, you can always find something interesting about them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've certainly heard people brag about not liking to read. I've wondered if it's a defense mechanism, as in "I meant to do that" when we break something, or "I hate ice-cream" when your cone falls to the sidewalk.

..’cause us smart, ejumakated people are elitist, or some excuse. Books are for those types. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The forums are boring today........... I'm bored............ I'd like someone to entertain me.  

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..’cause us smart, ejumakated people are elitist, or some excuse. Books are for those types. 

Books are only one class of things you can read. I don't read many of them, I'm still working my way through a book Pamela recommended to me many months ago. But I spend a good part of each day reading the news, wikipedia, engineering periodicals, nutrition labels, instructions... the list goes on. My long term goal is to construct a lifestyle that affords me time for deeper exploration of things, whether through reading or traveling, or reading while traveling when autonomous vehicles finally arrive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

This is what trains are for. You may need to relocate temporarily to Europe though :D

My ex-hubby and I traveled Europe on a month long Eurorail Pass in '93. It was a lovely way to get around. We ogled the countryside during the day, and read about upcoming destinations at night. Nighttime train travel also taught us that there is no correlation between the size of the snore and the size of the snorer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The forums are boring today........... I'm bored............ I'd like someone to entertain me.  

Does a dance for LittleMe

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

No, it can get awfully boring on the stage if there is no audience.

That is rehearsal, it isn't boring if you stay focused.

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

ETA2: The idea that bored people are boring doesn't survive much scrutiny. If you engage people, you can always find something interesting about them.

I think it's a very astute observation, Maddy.  On a number of occasions, I've had someone in SL tell me, "I'm bored", or "this is a boring game".  Usually newbies.  Usually when I've just spent twenty minutes or an hour helping them with the basics, or answering their questions about SL.  Or worse, interrupting when I'm busy answering someone else's questions with that self-centered whine, "I'm bored."

Yes, they ARE boring.

But, if you find them interesting, kudos to you!

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.