Slink Hourglass more popular than Slink Physique?

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of my avatars use Slink Physique. I have observed that some brands and events only include Hourglass now. Like the latest 50 L Fridays, and last week, I inspected a nice dress, teleported to the store and found out that the model is Maitreya and Hourglass only.

So I was thinking I should change to HG on that avatar. It is cheap, since I keep the hands and feet.

Have you noticed that Slink Physique is not included in so many clothes anymore?

16 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

One of my avatars use Slink Physique. I have observed that some brands and events only include Hourglass now. Like the latest 50 L Fridays, and last week, I inspected a nice dress, teleported to the store and found out that the model is Maitreya and Hourglass only.

So I was thinking I should change to HG on that avatar. It is cheap, since I keep the hands and feet.

Have you noticed that Slink Physique is not included in so many clothes anymore?

You might try it if you can make that avatar look good with it, but there's still no guarantee people will keep supporting Hourglass. Belleza Freya is starting to become the second choice after Maitreya. If your priority is getting the widest range of clothing you're better off just biting the bullet and getting a Maitreya body.

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You might try it if you can make that avatar look good with it, but there's still no guarantee people will keep supporting Hourglass. Belleza Freya is starting to become the second choice after Maitreya. If your priority is getting the widest range of clothing you're better off just biting the bullet and getting a Maitreya body.

Well, I am a bit tired of having Maitreya on two other avatars. I had to ditch TMP, because I could not stand the HUD. I also like the one arm tattoo option in Slink. And Belleza female bodies and me, we never became friends.

So Belleza Freya is rising. I must keep an eye on that one. Maybe I can overcome my early disapproval if it.

I should perhaps wait and see how fast creators respond to BoM. It is going to be so important for me. I have positive experience with the way Maitreya and Slink update, not so positive for Belleza. If Belleza is slow on BoM, will the community be patient as it was, waiting for Bellezas Bento hands update?

6 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Based on my own observations when slink sizing is included more often than not these days it's hourglass only and if belleza is included often not all bodies are included I can't remember which is the most excluded of the three bodies 

Three Bellezas is too much when two of them look like two peas in a pod. I know Freya is curvy, I can't see a difference in the two others.

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have been seeing this more often lately.  HG, ML and BF seem to be the standards you can count on.  You might want to pick up Hourglass to increase you choices but I wouldn't box up Physique since you already have it; no other body can do an athletic look like it.  ... Well, TMP can but I would not rely on that for anything.

Anyway, if they are making curvy clothes it makes sense to only build for the curvy bodies.  That may be what we are seeing.

The mesh body addicts survey from early this year had Hourglass at 5% of users (out of 4,000+), and Physique at 2%. (Maitreya was at 42%, Belleza Freya at 15%, Isis just under at 8%, and Venus behind at 3%.) So yes, HG is the more popular of the two Slink bodies. Makes sense that creators are choosing one of the two, keeping Slink in the game but focusing on the one more people say they're using. I hadn't noticed personally, but honestly, I don't use either Slink body (although I own Hourglass, the shape is a bit extremefor daily use, for me)  ...so I don't really pay attention if those sizes are included. Kinda curious now, though! 

Belleza Venus and Slink Physique, along with others like Tonic fine and ebody, all fit the same general mold of Maitreya: slim, petite, and generally "average." Modelesque, the type of slender, Victoria's Secret body society tends to praise. Of those, Maitreya has more users by far. Going by the numbers, it makes a lot of sense that creators would choose Maitreya, and then a couple of the curvier bodies for variety. Not saying it's fair, or anything, but it does make sense. 

(Of course, then it's a circle: Maitreya is more popular, so more people make clothes for it, so more people buy it because there are more clothes for it, so more creators make clothes for it often exclusively to save time...etc. But that's another rant.)

I just came back from Collabor 88, and the clothes I liked best had HG, not Physique. Strange how fast they drop Physique.

If I will change to Hourglass, that avatar has the expensive Slink feet with all its options and all, so another reason to keep her in Slink. I like to have my alts a bit different from me, maybe making her curvy instead of athletic.

9 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Unfortunately, it has been more and more difficult to find clothes for Slink Physique.

I have a Physique in one of my avatars too and I love this body on her, because I made her to have an athletic look. But because of this lack of clothes for Physique, I decided to change to Hourglass and it was the best decision for me. Although Slink Hourglass is a lot more curvy than Physique, they have some similarities, and that avatar already has the feet, hands, appliers, shoes, etc. So I worked a lot on her shape trying to get a similar appearance as the one she had with Physique and even she is no longer that athletic, I'm satisfied the way she looks now.

My advice is: try a demo, maybe you'll like the result.

3 hours ago, DemeraraGirl said:

Unfortunately, it has been more and more difficult to find clothes for Slink Physique.

I have a Physique in one of my avatars too and I love this body on her, because I made her to have an athletic look. But because of this lack of clothes for Physique, I decided to change to Hourglass and it was the best decision for me. Although Slink Hourglass is a lot more curvy than Physique, they have some similarities, and that avatar already has the feet, hands, appliers, shoes, etc. So I worked a lot on her shape trying to get a similar appearance as the one she had with Physique and even she is no longer that athletic, I'm satisfied the way she looks now.

My advice is: try a demo, maybe you'll like the result.

Great minds think alike! xD

• Like 1

I preferred physique over hourglass honestly. i can't find a shape i like with hourglass, and why are the nips looking at the sky!? so weird! but i guess people like the big butt on hourglass due to the whole "booty" craze. personally i'd rather by thick in all areas, not just the butt. getting kinda tired of maitreya to since it looks i dunno.... flat? freya is one i definitely like, minus the breasts but i don't really think any of the popular bodies get breasts right. oh well.

3 hours ago, MaggiJin said:

I preferred physique over hourglass honestly. i can't find a shape i like with hourglass, and why are the nips looking at the sky!? so weird! but i guess people like the big butt on hourglass due to the whole "booty" craze. personally i'd rather by thick in all areas, not just the butt. getting kinda tired of maitreya to since it looks i dunno.... flat? freya is one i definitely like, minus the breasts but i don't really think any of the popular bodies get breasts right. oh well.

I read in one Marketplace review that someone used HG with the small breast add-on. I have no idea if it looks nice, I was decorating home and didn't try on it. Th small breast add-on is new for Slink this year. I think it's going to set me back in shopping, for I never saw a thing made for it.

I know I"m a bit late to this but the HG is more popular now, an I am noticing that some designers are choosing Freya, Maitreya and HG only in their offerings.  Slink really is a lovely body, either of them, but I do believe the HG has gained more popularity lately. You can also make some lovely smaller more petite shapes with it as well.  You can check out a smaller shape that could be a good starter one for you (on MP, and yes I made it but it is a decent one to mess with)https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/love-Ikira-shape-Catwa-Bento-Slink-body-GIFT/11393927.

Hopefully you can find something that suits. I have to admit when I first got HG, I didn't use it. I was just overwhelmed by all the curves lolol! I have Maitreya and I love using that but I know what you mean when you say it looks "flat". There is a more generic look to the body than with some of the others, especially HG. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

You can add fat to Maitreya to make it look less flat but then half the clothes made for it don't fit any more.

Perhaps, ironically considering physique is generally considered to be an atheletic body it actually takes fat on the slider more realistically than the other bodies to make a natural looking shape. The Petite boobs on Physique are also a nice new option ( HunniHope the main creator for clothes for them).

I was hoping Physique would have a resurgence in support from mesh clothes makers as I am seeing people using it more now than ever.

Edited by Aethelwine

If one is not selling into a specific market segment it is hard to know what is happening. We guess a lot. But, I would say my empirical information is Hourglass has more stuff.

I did buy an Hourglass body recently to try some Scandalize and other clothes made for Hourglass and not Original. But, I can't get past that wasp-like waist. It looks way too cartoony.

The Slink recommended workflow is to make stuff for the Original body and then only minor tweaks are needed to adapt for Hourglass.  So, I'm not sure why some are skipping Original.

BoM... I am ambivalent... I like the materials property of mesh bodies. There are no materials for the classic body. So, the bake engine doesn't bake materials. We will still be able to use appliers to add normal and specular maps. So, we can still have wet skin with water drops. But, then it will be a mix of BoM and applier. That may be more complex than what we have now.

Lingerie and swimsuit appliers are making use of materials. Some shirts and pants made to be worn under a jacket or other clothes do also.

So......... we may not see the final version of BoM for some time. Will it take off before they figure out how to handle materials? I don't know. I'm hesitant to jump on this wagon.

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

So......... we may not see the final version of BoM for some time. Will it take off before they figure out how to handle materials? I don't know. I'm hesitant to jump on this wagon.

I like materials a lot. For example dynamic subtle shine on skin is really great and the shininess is adjustable. If BoM will not have materials I'm pretty sure that I won't be buying any skins for that system. Appliers will still be the way to go. The same applies to body clothing items. When they release BoM it really should be fully featured, not 'half baked'.

I wonder what's the rush for Linden Lab to release it without important feature, as it appears (so far) to be the case. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

One skin maker has already said they won't support BakeFail on Mesh, as they already have enough to do making system skins for 3 eyebrow options, cleavage options, and freckle options, without having to make several dozen non system system skins for every skin product they make, for the mesh heads and bodies that don't stick rigidly to SL system avi UV mapping.

BFoM... It was doomed from Day 1.

21 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

I like materials a lot. For example dynamic subtle shine on skin is really great and the shininess is adjustable. If BoM will not have materials I'm pretty sure that I won't be buying any skins for that system. Appliers will still be the way to go. The same applies to body clothing items. When they release BoM it really should be fully featured, not 'half baked'.

I wonder what's the rush for Linden Lab to release it without important feature, as it appears (so far) to be the case. :(

I would like to BoM handle materials. But, that is REALLY complicated. Consider what normal maps should pass through to the surface and which shouldn't? VPL or not? The same with specular maps. Then if an upper layer is transparent, what does that do the normal and spec maps? How do you bake multiple normal maps together? What if specular maps in partially transparent areas are different colors?

My opinion is for this all to work well,the designers will have to supply a lot more  information to the baker about what to do. I see no easy way for it to work in a generic way. So, any way they go we'll have painful restrictions. 

The hurry... the point of BoM is to provide a pathway to eliminate the onion-skin bodies and heads, with some hope of eliminating the HUD's and scripts. So, to reduce render load on the viewer and scripting load on the simulators.

In the classic avatar days it was easy to have an outfit with no scripts. Now it have trouble keeping it under 3MB of scripts. With a mesh head I'm near 4MB.

Appliers can just apply normal and specular maps. So, skin could be BoM system items and an applier could handle the material. But, how do we adjust the amount? We are back to some scripts in the attacments.

I think this is one of those cases where the Lindens don't really understand what it is about fashion-area mesh that we like. They may surprise me and it may be me that has missed how this will turn out. But, for now I am skeptical. 

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

The metaphor I used is that you can use the same varnish and sandpaper no matter what color you paint something. Specularity and normal maps can be set independently of the main "diffuse" texture that can be set with bakes-on-mesh. If you're using it for tattoos/freckles/etc. you generally don't need to change the shine and texture of the skin. As far as clothing? It's a bad way of wearing clothing and I'd say the same about applier clothing on a layer.

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

One skin maker has already said they won't support BakeFail on Mesh, as they already have enough to do making system skins for 3 eyebrow options, cleavage options, and freckle options, without having to make several dozen non system system skins for every skin product they make, for the mesh heads and bodies that don't stick rigidly to SL system avi UV mapping.

BFoM... It was doomed from Day 1.

If they haven't figured out that they can just use tattoo layers for freckles, eyebrows and cleavage that doesn't say much about their ability as a skin maker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If they haven't figured out that they can just use tattoo layers for freckles, eyebrows and cleavage that doesn't say much about their ability as a skin maker.

Ahhh so you're suggesting the cure for having to make a whole bunch of non-system system skins for all the differing UV mapped heads from the textures they currently use in appliers  is...

Remake ALL the current textures used in their appliers, and make a whole bunch of different non-system system skins... AND make a whole bunch of non-system system tattoos as well from new textures separated from the applier textures... which means uploading 2 to 3 times as many textures...

And you think THEY are the one who doesn't know much about making skins for mesh bodies and heads...

Funny...

7 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Ahhh so you're suggesting the cure for having to make a whole bunch of non-system system skins for all the differing UV mapped heads from the textures they currently use in appliers  is...

Remake ALL the current textures used in their appliers, and make a whole bunch of different non-system system skins... AND make a whole bunch of non-system system tattoos as well from new textures separated from the applier textures... which means uploading 2 to 3 times as many textures...

And you think THEY are the one who doesn't know much about making skins for mesh bodies and heads...

Funny...

On second thought, it's you who don't know much about making skins for mesh bodies and heads. They can use exactly the same textures they've already uploaded for their appliers to make the skins. The only difference is how they're delivered - the textures themselves are identical.

Once new skins start being made specifically for Bakes-On-Mesh I imagine that differences in body/head mapping will disappear. The quickest way to make a new skin will be to use the skinmaker's Omega body textures for the upper and lower textures - they'll work reasonably well on any popular body. For the head, it will either be the Omega mapping or the mapping of That Cat Company - various head makers are already adjusting their UV maps to correspond to the mapping of That Cat Company on their own, and since methods and arrangements aren't copyrightable it will continue no matter how clippy somebody gets about it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.