Slink Hourglass more popular than Slink Physique?

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The metaphor I used is that you can use the same varnish and sandpaper no matter what color you paint something. Specularity and normal maps can be set independently of the main "diffuse" texture that can be set with bakes-on-mesh. If you're using it for tattoos/freckles/etc. you generally don't need to change the shine and texture of the skin. As far as clothing? It's a bad way of wearing clothing and I'd say the same about applier clothing on a layer.

Actually applier clothing is not always "a bad way". I have many nice mesh tops which are impossible to wear with mesh pants, shorts or skirts. It's because those sellers of the tops didn't make suitable mesh item to wear with the tops. So the tops will clip through when wearing with mesh pants, shorts or skirts made by other designers.

So the only way to use those tops is to wear applier leggings with them. And the the outfit looks great when the leggings are excellently textured, preferably with materials.
Thus in this case this is the good way to use applier clothing - i.e. to make the mesh tops usable.

34 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Actually applier clothing is not always "a bad way". I have many nice mesh tops which are impossible to wear with mesh pants, shorts or skirts. It's because those sellers of the tops didn't make suitable mesh item to wear with the tops. So the tops will clip through when wearing with mesh pants, shorts or skirts made by other designers.

So the only way to use those tops is to wear applier leggings with them. And the the outfit looks great when the leggings are excellently textured, preferably with materials.
Thus in this case this is the good way to use applier clothing - i.e. to make the mesh tops usable.

You're not really wearing those on your body - you're wearing them on a separate mesh. As it happens it's permanently attached to your body and can't be turned off without the HUD, but it's still a separate thing. You could do the same thing by wearing that layer as a separate item only when you need it. After Bakes on Mesh rolls out I imagine that mesh body makers will still offer clothing and underwear layers that will work with existing appliers but they'll just make them removable.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

As far as clothing? It's a bad way of wearing clothing and I'd say the same about applier clothing on a layer.

5 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You're not really wearing those on your body - you're wearing them on a separate mesh. As it happens it's permanently attached to your body and can't be turned off without the HUD, but it's still a separate thing. You could do the same thing by wearing that layer as a separate item only when you need it. After Bakes on Mesh rolls out I imagine that mesh body makers will still offer clothing and underwear layers that will work with existing appliers but they'll just make them removable.

Erm... I don't understand what your last post has to do with what you said earlier, and what I said earlier?
1. You said that clothing (either BoM and/or applier) is a bad way of wearing clothing - if I understood you correctly. ?
2. I said that applier clothing is not always bad, it's actually a good way in some cases.
Then you replied with some technicalities (which already I do know and understand very well indeed) to that particular "is it good or bad" discussion.

So shall we stay in the actual topic what we were talking about, without irrelevant technical jargon (irrelevant to that topic)? o.O

- - - - - -
PS. I noticed that after the LL web services maintenance today we have a huge list of new emojis available in the forums.
???‍♀️?... etc, etc... ?
- - - - - -

2 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Erm... I don't understand what your last post has to do with what you said earlier, and what I said earlier?
1. You said that clothing (either BoM and/or applier) is a bad way of wearing clothing - if I understood you correctly. ?
2. I said that applier clothing is not always bad, it's actually a good way in some cases.
Then you replied with some technicalities (which already I do know and understand very well indeed) to that particular "is it good or bad" discussion.

So shall we stay in the actual topic what we were talking about, without irrelevant technical jargon (irrelevant to that topic)? o.O

- - - - - -
PS. I noticed that after the LL web services maintenance today we have a huge list of new emojis available in the forums.
???‍♀️?... etc, etc... ?
- - - - - -

We started out talking about bakes-on-mesh and how it didn't have materials capability. Many of the people who complain about this most are concerned not with the appearance of skin but the appearance of clothing. I maintain that it's not a big deal because even with materials clothing textures directly on skin will still look flat and fake.

The benefits of applier clothing that you mentioned are based on putting it on a different physical layer, which bakes-on-mesh won't do.

Personally I'm still not a fan of applier-based clothing because not only does it look cheap compared to worn mesh clothing, as far as I can tell from testing it's actually worse for viewer performance. Yes, there are cases that it's useful for but they're pretty limited.

8 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

After Bakes on Mesh rolls out I imagine that mesh body makers will still offer clothing and underwear layers that will work with existing appliers but they'll just make them removable.

... only in your dreams, LOL ... why should they change it? Folks have been crying for removable layers for ages now, even before BOM... See any?

Edited by Fionalein

9 hours ago, Fionalein said:

... only in your dreams, LOL ... why should they change it? Folks have been crying for removable layers for ages now, even before BOM... See any?

Making removable layers is a problem currently because of the alpha-cut system - bakes-on-mesh will also mean that physical alpha cuts won't be necessary, and therefore having all the layers tied together to use them also won't be necessary. Chip Midnight's early mesh body came with removable layers years ago, and the Meli Imako "Ocacin" body does now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.