Thanks World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

NPR runs BBC in real-time from late evening until early morning, so when I say I listen to NPR, BBC is included... and very much appreciated. The list of shows I posted is in addition to NPR's news, which includes Morning Edition, Weekend Edition and All Things Considered and relays of BBC news. In wee hours, my time, there are also BBC productions, some of which I find interesting, but not so much as shows like Hidden Brain or Radiolab.

BBC brings much better world coverage than US news organizations. Way back when I listened to short-wave, I also got news from Radio Deutsche Welle. I'd skim around to catch English language broadcasts from stations in the UAE, Equador (HCJB for music) and sometimes Asia. I found it illuminating to hear world news stories told from outside the US.

I’m an NPR addict. Our local station plays all night jazz, only a couple BBC shows a day.

• Like 1

I learned my lesson about the veracity of BBC a few decades past when my semi-forensic skill set was needed in another part of the world.

BBC covered it and did so fairly, the domestic news organs either ignored what was happening or spun it sideways.

Same for many of the humanitarian crises of the 1980’s and 90’s.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2018 at 9:43 AM, Sora Seetan said:

10. The final one....Life is short..shorter than you think..find a way to enjoy it! Own who you are and what you do and never ever let anyone else dictate to you how your life should be and you YOU should be. Dress how you want, be who you want, do what you want. If anyone has an issue with it then just ignore them. Surround yourself with people who support you and want to help build you up, not drag you down. Life is yours for the taking, so take it already!.

I beg to differ. They Power Elite are grinding down individualism and promoting FASCISM 100%  

Yes, The 1%ers are busily  REMOVING all avenues of escape from the enslavement the masses .

As well as the notion of "owning" your own life.  Your Life is there for THEM to take. 

I'd say wake up, but it's already TOO LATE. 

Our Leaders led us HERE! Riding on our backs with a whip in their hand. Of course, they'll be the last to go down the drain but eventually they will. When there are no more worker bees to sustain their power. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

I’m fond of the BBC.  Their Global News Podcast is one I stream every day on Overcast as I drive to work. Their coverage of the US is less-domestically-partisan than Fox/CNN/MSNBC and very often covers global news I would otherwise have to scrub through my news-amagmamation feed to even know about.

I've been a BBC fan for decades. Years ago a local high school had a student-staffed radio station (still does) and on Sundays they would connect to BBC news. I was captivated by all the foreign news, something we don't get from American media. Unless something overseas involves an American national it's not 'news' here (that's a bit of an exaggeration, but only a bit). I figured the Brits were so good at covering the rest of the world because they used to own most of it.

I watch virtually no TV news these days (and that which I do is local only) and get most of my news online starting with BBC World News online. The (failing) NYT's also pretty accessible online.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bichin Doobie said:

I beg to differ. They Power Elite are grinding down individualism and promoting FASCISM 100%  

Yes, The 1%ers are busily  REMOVING all avenues of escape from the enslavement the masses .

As well as the notion of "owning" your own life.  Your Life is there for THEM to take. 

Our Leaders led us HERE! Riding on our backs with a whip in their hand. Of course, they'll be the last to go down the drain but eventually they will. When there are no more worker bees to sustain their power. 

Frequently, I find it good to remind myself that 99% of the time - a vast conspiracy is a less likely an answer than good old fashioned General Incompetence :-)

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Bichin Doobie said:

Okay, you go ahead and feel like you are seriously oppressed and have no freedom in this world...which is ridiculously un true but whatever.... I on the other hand do not feel like I am oppressed in any way and feel completely free to do whatever I want to do, it just requires me to work hard to achieve it....I see no issue with this. There is nothing stopping you from changing your life, from doing better, from improving your start. All it takes is for you to actually get out there and start working towards it. Sure you might not achieve all your dreams but you will achieve more than you would sitting around worrying about the establishment and the power elites 24/7. 

On 7/2/2018 at 2:27 PM, Sora Seetan said:

Okay, you go ahead and feel like you are seriously oppressed and have no freedom in this world...which is ridiculously un true but whatever.... I on the other hand do not feel like I am oppressed in any way and feel completely free to do whatever I want to do, it just requires me to work hard to achieve it....I see no issue with this. There is nothing stopping you from changing your life, from doing better, from improving your start. All it takes is for you to actually get out there and start working towards it. Sure you might not achieve all your dreams but you will achieve more than you would sitting around worrying about the establishment and the power elites 24/7. 

If there is one thing I loathe the most about discussions like this, it is the bolded. Anything positive the remainder of your post may have had, anything I may have agreed with, is immediately negated the moment you choose to decide for others, whether or not they are oppressed. That is not for you, me, or anyone else to decide, regardless of our opinions, regardless of our experiences, regardless of the trials and tribulations others experience. It is *never* our place to decide for others what THEIR oppression looks like.

My own experiences dictate that while there are millions upon millions in this world far more oppressed than I, far more in danger, suffering far more....I have been oppressed in my lifetime. You don't get to tell me I haven't, just because you don't see it, didn't live it, don't know it. This is one of the biggest contributors to our inability to truly understand one another, even at times when we don't share the same viewpoints. We like to decide for others "how things are", based on our opinions and experiences. We'r not willing to lend even an inch that they may feel differently, that their experiences are different, that they have valid points too.

This is also precisely why most political discussions end up going terribly wrong, and why many people end up with the opinions that they have, with no firsthand knowledge of the other side..they, wrongfully, follow suit, when someone else decides "it could always be worse" and "you are not suffering, you are not oppressed", without any real reason, or "right" if you will, to do that.

I too believe that there is more that I can do today, than I could do yesterday, and believe that through hard work and perseverance, I can make it through a hell of a lot. That doesn't mean I have never been oppressed, nor does it mean I still don't, at times, feel that way. My feelings are mine, my experiences are mine, my life is mine...not yours, or any other person's. Just as your is not mine. Oppression comes in all forms, not just the ones you accept as "a  bad form".  It's okay to not agree, or not understand another's position, it's not okay to dictate what that position should be-ever. 

I'm going to stand with the "thank you" crowd, though, because I, too, am grateful that there are folks that stand with those of us who feel we may need a helping hand, if only in the intangible form of support. There is little more most can do, but an "I understand" goes a hell of a long way sometimes. :) 

• Like 5

Thank you for articulating this so well.  Anyone who believes "everything's just fine" will always dis(miss | respect) those who disagree. 

And these pathological "positive thinking only" types...they're a big part of the reason why we find ourselves where we are now. So easy to simply ignore what you can't or won't accept.

41 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

If there is one thing I loathe the most about discussions like this, it is the bolded. Anything positive the remainder of your post may have had, anything I may have agreed with, is immediately negated the moment you choose to decide for others, whether or not they are oppressed. That is not for you, me, or anyone else to decide, regardless of our opinions, regardless of our experiences, regardless of the trials and tribulations others experience. It is *never* our place to decide for others what THEIR oppression looks like.

My own experiences dictate that while there are millions upon millions in this world far more oppressed than I, far more in danger, suffering far more....I have been oppressed in my lifetime. You don't get to tell me I haven't, just because you don't see it, didn't live it, don't know it. This is one of the biggest contributors to our inability to truly understand one another, even at times when we don't share the same viewpoints. We like to decide for others "how things are", based on our opinions and experiences. We'r not willing to lend even an inch that they may feel differently, that their experiences are different, that they have valid points too.

This is also precisely why most political discussions end up going terribly wrong, and why many people end up with the opinions that they have, with no firsthand knowledge of the other side..they, wrongfully, follow suit, when someone else decides "it could always be worse" and "you are not suffering, you are not oppressed", without any real reason, or "right" if you will, to do that.

I too believe that there is more that I can do today, than I could do yesterday, and believe that through hard work and perseverance, I can make it through a hell of a lot. That doesn't mean I have never been oppressed, nor does it mean I still don't, at times, feel that way. My feelings are mine, my experiences are mine, my life is mine...not yours, or any other person's. Just as your is not mine. Oppression comes in all forms, not just the ones you accept as "a  bad form".  It's okay to not agree, or not understand another's position, it's not okay to dictate what that position should be-ever. 

I'm going to stand with the "thank you" crowd, though, because I, too, am grateful that there are folks that stand with those of us who feel we may need a helping hand, if only in the intangible form of support. There is little more most can do, but an "I understand" goes a hell of a long way sometimes. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 2:39 AM, Chase01 said:

Just listening to a White House press briefing tells all. Most of the reporters in that room that ask questions daily just make me cringe. The bias, idiocy and the serious lack of any sort of professionalism is mind blowing.

I don't remember hearing any complaints about the press when they were fawning over Obama for 8 years.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 1:51 PM, Klytyna said:

Stay alert! Trust no-one!

Especially%20fortunate%20Troubleshooters

Keep your laser handy!

Citizen%20Atilla-R-HUN-2%20displays%20pr

Trust the Computer! The Computer is your friend!

Kly, you're a Paranoia fan!?  My opinion of you just went up big time.  I love that crazy game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/4/2018 at 12:11 PM, Tari Landar said:

That is not for you, me, or anyone else to decide, regardless of our opinions, regardless of our experiences, regardless of the trials and tribulations others experience. It is *never* our place to decide for others what THEIR oppression looks like.

Tari, I always enjoy reading your take on things!

I suppose my stance on this is that it’s almost impossible to be objective in how we view and define Oppression.

Someone whose life experiences include seeing friends hauled off and shot because they prayed to the wrong graven image will have a whole different sensitivity then someone who attaches that same level of moral outrage to not having “their” candidate win an election.

Both people’s sense of indignation is real to -them- even if the events that caused it are magnitudes apart in severity. But it’s hard to get them to talk about it civilly at times due to the perceived “difference in severity”.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, Phorumities said:

I don't remember hearing any complaints about the press when they were fawning over Obama for 8 years.

That's because the press was in love with Obama. Now I am not saying there weren't any naysayers, because there were; but by and large he was treated with kit gloves. Go back and watch some of his briefings, it isn't even remotely close.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:35 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

RL backup Mom. She moved to the US in 1947 and settled next door around the time my parents married in 1951. She was present at my birth. Though now living in an assisted living facility, she's as sharp and annoying as ever, at the age of 96.

So, were you an... Apt Pupil?

On 7/1/2018 at 8:23 PM, Pamela Galli said:

I have close friends on both sides, Some of whom will no longer speak to those on the other side. I have made it clear that the relationship takes  priority for me (my husband and I) so in all cases the relationship has survived in spite of very strong partisanship. It’s very possible to compartmentalize and respect boundaries. I just don’t discuss it. What is not possible for me is to look the other way.

I have two family members who refuse to talk to me because i didn't vote for trump.

8 hours ago, Chase01 said:

That's because the press was in love with Obama. Now I am not saying there weren't any naysayers, because there were; but by and large he was treated with kit gloves. Go back and watch some of his briefings, it isn't even remotely close.

That would be because he had style, class and knew how to talk to people with respect. Trump came out swinging at the press in his first month. He has ZERO class and treats other world leaders like they are children and he is the nanny. He is in for a very rude awakening. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Pouring over the source material was always more fun though .. people seem to take it personally when after 20 minutes creating a character the DM opens a sink hole under them 3 minutes in. ¬¬

Thats what a ring of Feather fall is for... :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Pouring over the source material was always more fun though .. people seem to take it personally when after 20 minutes creating a character the DM opens a sink hole under them 3 minutes in. ¬¬

YES!  I loved reading the manuals and game scenarios much more than actually playing it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

That would be because he had style, class and knew how to talk to people with respect. Trump came out swinging at the press in his first month. He has ZERO class and treats other world leaders like they are children and he is the nanny. He is in for a very rude awakening. 

there are two reasons Obama was given a free ride

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Please enlighten us. 

Not all press gave him a free ride and plenty of people criticized him and his polices. Hell people went so far as to call him and his family horrific insults, protest him with signs made to look like he was being lynched and other horrible inhumane things, yet one word about the Cheeto in charge and people lose their minds. I find it funny how so many Trumpites are calling for celebrities to shut up and keep their opinions to themselves yet fail to remember when Trump, who was a celebrity at the time, was touted for his opinions on Obama. Please remember, trump has failed at more businesses than he has succeeded at. 

13 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

So, were you an... Apt Pupil?

I have two family members who refuse to talk to me because i didn't vote for trump.

Obama did have charisma, and he was a great public speaker; I will give him that, but speeches alone don't get the job done. You'd think I was a die-hard republican, but I'm not. I am all for the person that is best able to get the ball rolling and its refreshing to have a President call it like it is. Whether you like him or not, he is trying to put our interests first. What was Obama's legacy? Oh that's right, style and class...and where did that get us?

I am sure he had worked hard, and did many of the things he thought he should do but what did he stand for? Universal healthcare? That's what his twitter page was loaded with ... As his system was failing, all he could do was try to rally around how great it was. We would have been better off leaving it as it was.

9 hours ago, Phorumities said:

6 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Please enlighten us. 

Not all press gave him a free ride and plenty of people criticized him and his polices. Hell people went so far as to call him and his family horrific insults, protest him with signs made to look like he was being lynched and other horrible inhumane things, yet one word about the Cheeto in charge and people lose their minds. I find it funny how so many Trumpites are calling for celebrities to shut up and keep their opinions to themselves yet fail to remember when Trump, who was a celebrity at the time, was touted for his opinions on Obama. Please remember, trump has failed at more businesses than he has succeeded at. 

I love political discussions.

"Some fanatic on your side did the same thing that some fanatic on my side did, but since we vilify the whole instead of individuals, I have to call you out for yours while I ignore mine! Rabble rabble rabble!"

• Like 3

I avoid political discussion in SL mainly because;  

(a) people have short memories and things that happened more than 5 years ago often are unlearned-from or ignored if they don’t fit someone’s narrative. 

(b) many people operate based on how they feel rather than on reason - so reason is irrelevant with that lot.

(c) Generally, many people have never learned how to debate - so even with good intentions  online “debate” quickly devolves into a shouting match.

RL -discussion- is very important and should qualify as a Civic Duty - but I try to keep my online friendships free if that stuff. We all get along better that way in a Digital Mccarthyist age where having the wrong Opinion can see you socially blackballed.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.