Thanks World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Other countries had rallies in sympathy with ours. Again. 

Ahh,I see..

I don't really watch the news too much anymore..The last couple of years it's been nothing but TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP..

I didn't like looking at him before he started to run.. I can't handle looking at him 50 times a day..

hehehehe

I'd thought that my eventual road-tripping (if I ever finish the house) would be around the US to re-see all the natural wonders before they vanish. I suppose our citizenry is also a natural wonder, and in no less need of care than Glacier National Park. If my travels carry me within range of protests and rallies, I intend to lend my voice.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ahh,I see..

I don't really watch the news too much anymore..The last couple of years it's been nothing but TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP..

I didn't like looking at him before he started to run.. I can't handle looking at him 50 times a day..

hehehehe

I completely agree with you. It is part of the reason why I quit going on Facebook is every single status for the last year has been trump this, trump that, oh look I baked a pie and here is 50 pictures of my kids that you never asked for, more trump, incase you didn't see it TRUMP AGAIN.

To be quite honest I'm flat out bored of the whole affair. All I ever see or hear these days are political discussions and arguments, left vs right etc and it gets exhausting. Im bored of trump, I'm bored of the left vs right nonsense, bored of the 'North Korea threat', bored of hearing about trump vs North Korea, Im beyond bored of hearing other peoples political opinions....in fact il go as far as saying I am bored of hearing about politics full stop. I think il start advocating a new way of being....not having a particular political opinion and just being chill with everyone. Il write a manifesto of sorts....perhaps a series of guidelines.. :

--10 key points for the 'Lets Advocate For A Better Humanity' Movement (LAFABH)-

1. Just be cool and chill with one another. Its not hard. If you really do not like someone just walk away. You don't need to be a d**k about it.

2.  Race, Sexuality, Gender, Creed, Religion....these things do not matter at the end of the day...let people enjoy their lives as they wish so long as they do not harm another. If you find that these things really do offend you...then re evaluate your life a little and realise how little these things actually affect you.

3. Don't hurt or cause damage to another person. They have as much right to live on this earth as you do.

4. Don't allow yourself to get caught up in petty dramas. Walk away, if your life is that boring that you feel the need to get involved in such things...go outside and realise there is a whole world out there waiting to be explored that is infinitely more interesting than what miss ratchet just said to miss bougie who ripped miss ratchets wig off. 

5. Spend more time focusing on yourself and figuring out what makes you happy and then go with it. Learn to enjoy your life and enjoy who you are. Also develop yourself, learn new things and try new experiences.

6. Remove toxic people from your environment for a more stress free and pleasurable existence.

7. Drink more wine. It makes everything infinitely more interesting.

8. If you find yourself getting stressed out then mast****e more frequently. Its a great stress reliever.

9. Go out for a 30 minute walk per day. Fitness is the key to a healthy and productive mind. If you are unable to walk then figure out another way to exercise that works for you. Either way just go and get some fresh air, its good for you.

10. The final one....Life is short..shorter than you think..find a way to enjoy it! Own who you are and what you do and never ever let anyone else dictate to you how your life should be and you YOU should be. Dress how you want, be who you want, do what you want. If anyone has an issue with it then just ignore them. Surround yourself with people who support you and want to help build you up, not drag you down. Life is yours for the taking, so take it already!.

Peace!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Sora Seetan said:

To be quite honest I'm flat out bored of the whole affair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

I certainly understand the exhaustion, but when serious issues are in play, it's worth taking a stand.

My emergency backup Mom was a member of the Hitler Youth and her Nazi apologetics anger me. Yet she says that Trump and the current political environment remind her of Germany when she was young. I can't dismiss that as Godwin-ing.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I certainly understand the exhaustion, but when serious issues are in play, it's worth taking a stand.

I have spoken out about various issues. Several times. But your voice tends to get lost in the noise of everyone else these days and generally speaking out usually devolves into petty arguing and squabbling over who has the right ideas as opposed to having a more constructive conversation. Or games of one up man ship. There are not many people around who are actually willing to engage in a decent conversation over these issues. Most people have their views and are unwavering or unwilling to hear views that might be slightly different to their own and more often than not start raging at the thought that others might not fully agree with them. Hence...exhausting!

Edited by Sora Seetan
  • Like 2

Shh folks it is a cycle - in order to appreciate freedom you have to go through oppression - it's as simple as that. While an individual might be intelligent enough to say "Oh no, please stop! I can value freedom without suffering oppression." society as a whole never learns that lesson.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Shh

Wouldn't "shh" pretty much put an end to the cycling, settling us at the bottom?

12 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

society as a whole never learns that lesson.

It's a messy advance, to be sure, but we are advancing. Not realizing that can rob us of the motivation to continue raising our voices.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

My emergency backup Mom was a member of the Hitler Youth and her Nazi apologetics anger me. Yet she says that Trump and the current political environment remind her of Germany when she was young. I can't dismiss that as Godwin-ing.

Myself,I would probably catch more serious things on time,if the media and social media and entertainment didn't wear out,Late breaking news,so much and chase me off..

Late breaking news,this just in..Trump farted in the oval office moments before meeting with the prime minister of Micronesia! \o/

I was waiting to hear the weather and sports guys start talking about him..

Then it's in a lot of our entertainment as well.. A lot of escapes from reality have become flooded..

People need to take a break from reality once in awhile to absorb things and let their minds go to work on them,rather than no time between sessions..

People will back away if they start to feel like they are being cornered..

He's just popping up everywhere..You can't watch a show without someone doing the first five minutes about Trump..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

35 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

SL backup mom?. She would have to be well into her 80s if not 90s to have been part of the Hitler Youth and she plays SL?. Thats dope xD

4 minutes ago, Sora Seetan said:

SL backup mom?. She would have to be well into her 80s if not 90s to have been part of the Hitler Youth and she plays SL?. Thats dope xD

RL backup Mom. She moved to the US in 1947 and settled next door around the time my parents married in 1951. She was present at my birth. Though now living in an assisted living facility, she's as sharp and annoying as ever, at the age of 96.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Maddy didn't say SL. Somehow you read that into what she did say.

If you pay attention to what I wrote. You will see "SL backup mom?" the question mark gives the game away. I queried it before proceeding. If you pay even further attention you will see "and she plays SL?" the question mark again gives the game away. 

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

RL backup Mom. She moved to the US in 1947 and settled next door around the time my parents married in 1951. She was present at my birth. Though now living in an assisted living facility, she's as sharp and annoying as ever, at the age of 96.

Thats cool!, she sounds like a interesting old lady :)

25 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Myself,I would probably catch more serious things on time,if the media and social media and entertainment didn't wear out,Late breaking news,so much and chase me off..

Late breaking news,this just in..Trump farted in the oval office moments before meeting with the prime minister of Micronesia! \o/

I was waiting to hear the weather and sports guys start talking about him..

Then it's in a lot of our entertainment as well.. A lot of escapes from reality have become flooded..

People need to take a break from reality once in awhile to absorb things and let their minds go to work on them,rather than no time between sessions..

People will back away if they start to feel like they are being cornered..

He's just popping up everywhere..You can't watch a show without someone doing the first five minutes about Trump..

I don't watch commercial TV, I find it mind-numbing. I get most of my real-time news and analysis from NPR, which tells stories at a more measured pace, and with greater depth, than what I've seen from commercial news outlets. I also read the NYTimes, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Fox News, Fivethirtyeight, and I pop in on Breitbart and Drudge now and then, particularly when I think the left is getting too worked up over the wrong things and I want to see an alternative view. I consume the news at my pace. It is possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't watch commercial TV, I find it mind-numbing. I get most of my real-time news and analysis from NPR, which tells stories at a more measured pace, and with greater depth, than what I've seen from commercial news outlets. I also read the NYTimes, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Fox News, and I pop in on Breitbart and Drudge now and then, particularly when I think the left is getting too worked up over the wrong things and I want to see an alternative view. I consume the news at my pace. It is possible.

I think that's a lot of my problem..Not knowing which ones to trust now..I would love to find something that is not so one side or the other and actually do research rather than throw up first reports or about things that overshadow real news..

look how long the news went without reporting on shootings or other things as they were preoccupied by hating on Trump..The only thing that overshadowed Trump from the moment he started running,from what I can remember..Was the Las Vegas shooting..

It took that to upset the course they were on..For a while anyways.

I'm gonna have to check out where you get your news..I trust you.:)

oh yea,here you go -- ->\o/

hehehehe

2 hours ago, Snugs McMasters said:

I don't.

Pfft!

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm gonna have to check out where you get your news.

Though I consider myself independent, that's only my opinion. I see a lot of fake news from the right and a lot of excess indignation from the left. The facts can be hard to get at, so I build my sense of what's true slowly over time. What interests me most is the psychology of all this. Conservatives and liberals have measurably different psychological makeups. News organizations are aware of these distinctions and can both wittingly and unwittingly target them. The more I learn about myself, the more I hope to avoid being sucked into false thinking. It's probably a hopeless effort, but if you're a life long home remodeler, hopeless efforts are nothing new.

Because I'm often working on something around the house, public radio is the least attention diverting way I have to learn. From my observations of you over the years, I'm pretty sure you like taking deeper dives into the how and why of things and you might appreciate shows like...

https://www.npr.org/series/423302056/hidden-brain (Shankar Vedantem's show fascinates me, each week revealing just how broken my brain really is.)
https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/radiolab/ (Regardless the mystery they're investigating, Jad and Robert are just damned fun to listen to.)
https://onbeing.org (I'm atheist, but appreciate our search for meaning and the diversity and humanity of Krista Tippett's show)
https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/? (Until his fall from grace, Charlie Rose did his best to emulate Terry Gross. She's is the best.)
https://www.sciencefriday.com (because science)
https://www.marketplace.org (because economics drives everything)
http://freakonomics.com (ditto)
https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/otm (you might detect a left leaning bias here, but it's still interesting analysis of the media)
https://www.thisamericanlife.org (professional storytelling at its best)
https://www.themoth.org (amateur storytelling at its best)
https://www.npr.org/programs/wait-wait-dont-tell-me/ (silliness at its best, but you won't escape Trump here)

ETA: Almost forgot one of my sources for new music!...
https://www.livefromhere.org

Sometimes I type faster than I think.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Shh folks it is a cycle - in order to appreciate freedom you have to go through oppression - it's as simple as that. While an individual might be intelligent enough to say "Oh no, please stop! I can value freedom without suffering oppression." society as a whole never learns that lesson.

Those who study history are doomed to stand by helplessly while everyone else repeats it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.