Why should I pay for a demo?

Prisqua Newall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/6/2018 at 5:00 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

We all have alts.

My alts also have alts.

They all demand frequent updates.

I try to cancel their accounts, but then they call me their alt and they will cancel my account unless they get more stuff?!

The nerve! :(

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 07 May 2018 at 3:07 AM, Klytyna said:

I spent some time wandering down the listings trying to find the most expensive demo, but RL forced me to quit before I found it.

It would be interesting to know just how much some fool thinks their demo is worth...

I resumed my search for "expensive demos" and thought I'd peaked at L$ 25 for a demo of some ugly plaid workshirts, then I found a true gem, a L$ 50 demo for an L$ 30 freckles tattoo, then I stumbled across a L$ 70 demo for a L$ 70 dress.

Then I found a L$ 100 demo for an object attach system, that's time limited.

This was just by skimming the MP, I'm sure a more scientific search method might find even more amusingly priced 'demos'...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 06/05/2018 at 11:40 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

When it comes to paid demos,I have this rule..

I'll go ahead and buy the first one..I'll judge the whole rest of your products by it though..If I don't like it,we're pretty much done doing business together..I more than likely won't be back.

The same goes for if I do like it..I'll grab more and end up buying something and will more than likely be back in the future..

I am the same. Also I have the same attitude as relates to gift items. If they dont fit or are poorly made, no way will I buy a product in the store. 

Its not enough that a seller 'says for Maitreya' etc, every creator makes their own product and the quality varies a lot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I don't see how it curbs content stealing...

It doesn't, it's just one of those great SL Myths that the tech illiterate believe and pass along...

" I heard from a guy on a sex beach (rez date 2007 so hes trustworthy) who heard from a club host (rez 2006 trustworthy) who heard from a meeroo rancher (rez 2008 trustworthy) who heard from their landlord (rez 2006 trustworthy) who spoke to a Linden once, that [ insert fact free tech illiterate bull crap here ] and since they spoke to a Linden once, MORE than 10 years ago,  IT MUST BE TRUE :o ! " 

1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Could it be related to "no payment info" accounts?

It's like the assumption that "no payment info" accounts are not allowed to have money, and thus never buy anything...

• Thanks 2

On 5/3/2018 at 11:38 PM, Prisqua Newall said:

I've started this discussion on Flickr which might get me banned somewhere for opening my big mouth but I would like for someone to give me a good reason of why I should pay for a demo. And is there anyone that agree or disagree with this? It's not the first I see that at events. I passed on a pair of boots because they were L499 and I had to pay for the demo. I also came across a store once that had all their demos set at L$1.

Why should I pay for a demo?

Let's call it what it is. A $1L grab, just because they can.

Demos, 'gifts' and 'free' items should also be $0.

If the rest of us can provide these items accurately and ethically for $0, then others can.

• Haha 1

I don't know if anyone has looked at this, as it really is, certainly some have, but I need to get this off my chest.

We buy anything for L$1 including many demos (L$1 = USD$0.01 or one-penny) and SL will charge our bank account the USD$0.01 plus an additional USD$0.99 Transaction Fee. That comes to USD$1.00 or one-dollar. So, what is the actual cost in terms of Linden Dollar equivalency?

In today's market conversion, USD$1.00 = L$249

So face the fact that the so called L$1 demo, actually is costing us L$250  >:(  for an item that should be fee!

• Haha 2

Imagine of car dealerships charged you $10-20 dollars just to test drive a car. The same arguments presented in this topic could also be applied to that.

"At least you could try out the car for $10-20 only and not $50,000..." Imagine the extra revenues that would add up for such a scheme.

I don't know if anyone has looked at this, as it really is, certainly some have, but I need to get this off my chest.

We buy anything for L$ 1 including many demos (L$ 1 = US$ 0.01 or one-penny) and SL will charge our bank account the US$ 0.01 plus an additional "US$ 0.99 Transaction Fee". That comes to US$ 1.00 or one-dollar. So, what is the actual cost in terms of Linden Dollar equivalency?

In today's market conversion, US$ 1.00 = L$ 249

So face the fact that the so called L$ 1 demo, actually is costing us L$ 250  :$  for an item that should be free!

OH! and one more thing. When our US$ amount is less than US$ 2.50, a RED warning pops up stating: "Total cost is US$ 1.00 which is less than the minimum buy of US$ 2.50" and that's all it says about this. So, what does this mean? Is there an extra amount charged to our bank account for being under this minimum? I have no idea because I've seen nothing to explain this, but I'm looking at my bank statements to see just what is really being charged against my account.

If the final tally is actually US$ 2.51 then the L$ 1 demo is costing us L$ 624. That's one h*ll of an expensive demo!  >:(  And how many of these L$ 1 demos have we bought? Do the math..

Edited by ChoiceRider
added new text
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChoiceRider said:

And how many of these L$ 1 demos have we bought? Do the math..

four... one was a test for a 2100L avatar I wanted enough to justify 1L for testing and three others I bought with leftovers from a 100L GC after buying 99L offers ...

Edited by Fionalein

No one should ever pay for a demo. Even if it's only 1/3 of a penny, that adds up quite fast considering shopping is known to be one of the most time-consuming activities of the average SL user. I love finance, it's just doesn't benefit me to buy a 1L demo. It's not always about being poor or rich. Some of us budget our money carefully, and I could just never buy a 1L demo for that reason.

Where is my value for the interest in your products?

Edited by Sparetta
  • Haha 2

On 5/7/2018 at 11:26 AM, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I have run into the L10 demo a few times recently, and even a L10 GIFT a couple times at events, that's an absolute no. You can absolutely kiss my butt if you think I'm going to pay ANYTHING for a "gift".

The current Garage Fair event has gifts.  Most are L$0 or L$1 - I can handle that.  A few are L$10 - I did pay for a few of these that had pictures and I wanted the item.  However, I also found this:

image.png.bf49ceb87fce8ad9604b4c3fe326476c.png

How the heck can anyone truly use the word 'gift' for something they are charging L$50 for. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 04.05.2018 at 9:38 AM, Prisqua Newall said:

I passed on a pair of boots because they were L499 and I had to pay for the demo. I also came across a store once that had all their demos set at L$1. Can someone please explain why I should pay for a demo? Even if it's just L1, why?

I don't think there is a problem with having a demo priced at L$ 1. I have a store on the marketplace and my demos are L$ 0 just because I don't want angry reviews on my products and people with the mindset that paying L$ 1 is such a big deal and might think they got ripped off. Believe it or not I spent as much time preparing the demo as I do the actual product. I have to script it; I have to make sure it's a demo in one way or another (otherwise people would just buy the demo instead of the product); I have to create a listing for it on the marketplace with description and image and make sure it's linked to my product... all this time that goes to prepare the demo could be spent doing something else more profitable or enjoyable.

Again, as I said my demos are L$ 0 but there would be nothing wrong with charging L$ because

• I get constant email notifications of people who bought the L$ 0 demo cluttering my inbox
  • it take time and effort to prepare the demo (as stated above),
  • there isn't an universal law stating demos should be free

And in your example, sure you payed L$ 1 on the demo for the boots but you saved L$ 499, that's not even 1% of the price, it's 0,2 % of said asking price.

Edited by Omega Tunwarm

7 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

How do you guys even survive in a copetitive environment? I come to the conclusion most SL "merchants" would simply fail in a RL business.

Comparing second life to real life is like comparing apples to oranges, different rules, different experiences. It just doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2018 at 11:53 PM, Omega Tunwarm said:

I don't think there is a problem with having a demo priced at L$ 1. I have a store on the marketplace and my demos are L$ 0 just because I don't want angry reviews on my products and people with the mindset that paying L$ 1 is such a big deal and might think they got ripped off. Believe it or not I spent as much time preparing the demo as I do the actual product. I have to script it; I have to make sure it's a demo in one way or another (otherwise people would just buy the demo instead of the product); I have to create a listing for it on the marketplace with description and image and make sure it's linked to my product... all this time that goes to prepare the demo could be spent doing something else more profitable or enjoyable.

Again, as I said my demos are L$ 0 but there would be nothing wrong with charging L$ because

• I get constant email notifications of people who bought the L$ 0 demo cluttering my inbox
  • it take time and effort to prepare the demo (as stated above),
  • there isn't an universal law stating demos should be free

And in your example, sure you payed L$ 1 on the demo for the boots but you saved L$ 499, that's not even 1% of the price, it's 0,2 % of said asking price.

I understand what you're saying, but it would be like paying to try clothes in a RL store: they have to pay the staff to mind the change rooms and put back the clothes on the racks, yet if they want to sell their products, they have to let people try. It's a kind of advertising. If I had been able to try to those boots for free, the seller would have gotten 499L. I have to email back and forth and talk a lot for free to make a sale with my RL job, that's part of life. SL shouldn't be any different because at the end of the day, it is using RL money that most of us have to work hard to get. Chances are when someone tries a demo, it is to buy it. I don't try a demo for the fun of it.

Someone else mentioned SL merchants would probably fail in a RL business, I'm inclined to believe it. RL or SL, there's a need for customer service, even if there are different rules and experiences between SL and RL; money is money and it doesn't grow on trees.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.