Why should I pay for a demo?

Prisqua Newall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sheesh, if any of you were around back when I started in Second Life it seems to me that your heads would have exploded ...

Demos and "Freebies" ranged from paying nothing (rather rare) to up to ten Linden Dollars (rather common at the time) and while I am rather glad that the practice has pretty much fallen by the wayside I am also rather amused at the attitudes some have shown.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Sheesh, if any of you were around back when I started in Second Life it seems to me that your heads would have exploded ...

Shh those practices got fewer to a mechanism called "the market", not due to attitude. If you like paying for demos, feel free to do so, rightclick creator and pay them 1L, easy as that, but don't toss laughs at everyone who doesn't fall for that scam (yes that's what it is to me, call it "convenience service" or "charging for your time" or whatever, they still charge 1L for giving me nothing but an ad)

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2018 at 8:38 AM, Prisqua Newall said:

I've started this discussion on Flickr which might get me banned somewhere for opening my big mouth but I would like for someone to give me a good reason of why I should pay for a demo. And is there anyone that agree or disagree with this? It's not the first I see that at events. I passed on a pair of boots because they were L499 and I had to pay for the demo. I also came across a store once that had all their demos set at L$1.

Why should I pay for a demo?

imageproxy.thumb.jpg.f0329680dd12772d2ae6c01fbeef90f0.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Shh those practices got fewer to a mechanism called "the market", not due to attitude. If you like paying for demos, feel free to do so, rightclick creator and pay them 1L, easy as that, but don't toss laughs at everyone who doesn't fall for that scam (yes that's what it is to me, call it "convenience service" or "charging for your time" or whatever, they still charge 1L for giving me nothing but an ad)

Welcome to the forum, some of us "laugh" to show disagreement or to be sarcastic. In this case it was both.

"The Market" is driven by the attitudes of those purchasing from it.

You have every right to pass on merchants who still use the old methods.

Edited by Solar Legion

New theory: When 1L demos are the ones used by the owners of alt armies who like to gift their own alts out of convenience ... so basically they highlight the products I should avoid when I don't want to be confused with the alt army users?

On a more serious note, maybe people charge L$ for demos for one or more of the following reasons:

• To keep out the smelly, freeloading, griefing bums.
  • To appease snobs ("If the demo is free, the product must be bad.")
  • 'To prevent copybotters from copybotting' is a nice one, yes.
  • Because other people do it too.
  • Greed. Pure greed.

Personally, I agree. It's rather silly to charge for a demo, other than L$1 on Marketplace, so you can gift it so someone else. It's not the end of the world, though. What I find much worse, is that the one clothing item that I like is only available as a bonus item in the fat pack.

I'm afraid I find the positive reasons offered for charging for a demo pretty lame, but each to their own. As is commonly the case if someone wants an excuse for something they'll find one, or convince themselves somehow.

I will not pay for a demo, (2nd) life is as simple as that. I never buy anything without demo'ing first so I just don't buy from stores which do it. They won't miss my custom, I don't miss their items. The world still revolves.

As far as marketplace goes L$1 demos are a nuisance. Just one more of numerous nuisances in existence on that website. Shame we can't blacklist stores so they never appear in our search results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Personally, I agree. It's rather silly to charge for a demo, other than L$1 on Marketplace, so you can gift it so someone else. It's not the end of the world, though. What I find much worse, is that the one clothing item that I like is only available as a bonus item in the fat pack.

Or worse ... 

I refuse to buy a fatpack just to get a minor colour option on an item ... Say red trim on a black dress.

• Like 1

200 linden for bland, uncommon colors that don't match anything except themselves . "

1500 for a fatpack with 15 bland, uncommon colors that don't match anything except themselves + 5 highly commonly used colors of seksyness." 

Genius.

But yeah, I try to ignore fatpacks too.. They get me sometiems though :'<

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

You may not care about 1L but for a lot of folks 1L is a lot.
It's not about feeling high and mighty. There is plenty of SL users who slave away in Linden Realms or at fishing spots to get a couple L each day. For those people 1L is a lot if they have very few to spare. 1L demos add up after a while and once they do find something nice they may no longer have enough to even buy the item and need to invest even more time to get a bit more Linden.

Same goes for those with a very limited budget for SL each week/month. Perhaps they can spend only 10 bucks a month on SL, they're exactly the type of in-worlders who will demo the hell out of things to make sure none of those Lindens go to waste, and they'll much prefer free demo's because with each 1L spent their limited budget is going down and down and down.

Granted, I choose to blacklist stores who charge for demo's out of principal, I have plenty of Linden to spare. I just don't appreciate the fact that I am being charged for the opportunity to shop at their store. If a store would charge me in RL to try on a pair of pants I would do the same, I would no longer shop there. Again, it's not about feeling all high and mighty. Just because I am fortunate enough to have a good income within SL doesn't mean I am fortunate in RL. Due to health reasons I'm being more or less forced to live turning over each euro I have to make sure I don't go into the negatives, and I apply that type of thinking to SL, too. Sure sometimes I splurge or indulge for entertainment purposes but that doesn't mean I'll throw my Linden away, those Linden are spent on items I will be enjoying for a long time, not a demo I will trash after one use. I shop a lot, and if I'd start buying 1L demo's it would quickly add up to several hundred Lindens each month, several thousand in a year. Just for demo's. No thank you.

To each their own in this case, it's a matter of perspective, it's not a matter about feeling high and mighty.

Well said. We are not all fortunate to be able to spend money on SL. One person said on Twitter that 1L equals five minutes fishing for her, so she will not buy a demo. 

4 hours ago, AnimalChi said:

200 linden for bland, uncommon colors that don't match anything except themselves . "

1500 for a fatpack with 15 bland, uncommon colors that don't match anything except themselves + 5 highly commonly used colors of seksyness." 

Genius.

But yeah, I try to ignore fatpacks too.. They get me sometiems though :'<

I ignore fatpacks too. I've noticed that often the one colour I want is in the fatback, but I just can't justify that amount of money to change a dress colour. Wearing the same dress with 15 different colours doesn't appeal to me, even though I don't change clothes too many times. I'm better buying a different dress in another colour. 

some places offer a usable sample in a somewhat less desirable colour/pattern as a 'demo' which i don't mind paying L$1 for if i like it but if it's just an outright demo that L$1 is a barrier i will scroll right past or may not favourite something for future purchase if the demo turns out to be L$1

8 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

What I find much worse, is that the one clothing item that I like is only available as a bonus item in the fat pack.

Will totally agree on this i have bought the odd thing over the years where i've seen a print or colour i like and it hasn't been clear it's fat pack available only most recently at a shopping event where the Ad showed an item worn in a plain colour and in the same colour with a print on so i bought it to find the colour and/or print i was interested it wasn't part of the customisation options, 

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Will totally agree on this i have bought the odd thing over the years where i've seen a print or colour i like and it hasn't been clear it's fat pack available only most recently at a shopping event where the Ad showed an item worn in a plain colour and in the same colour with a print on so i bought it to find the colour and/or print i was interested it wasn't part of the customisation options, 

Yeah, I bought a dress one colour because of the picture and the demo had no hud. It had a bow and I thought the hud would let you change the colour of the bow. Most brands usually allow you to change the colour of the bow, belt, frills, etc. In the end, I've never worn the dress because all black didn't look as nice, and never bought from the designer again, though I'm not even sure who it was now.

Has anyone bothered to track down SL's most expensive demo yet?

I once did a search on the MP for Demos, sorted by price highest to lowest, the most expensive item wasn't a demo, and didn't HAVE a demo, it was some "Semi-Exclusive" Template mesh (only x copies ever sold buy now before the last two go!) item from some nameless designer, that retailed for 20,000 L$.

I spent some time wandering down the listings trying to find the most expensive demo, but RL forced me to quit before I found it.

It would be interesting to know just how much some fool thinks their demo is worth...

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Has anyone bothered to track down SL's most expensive demo yet?

I once did a search on the MP for Demos, sorted by price highest to lowest, the most expensive item wasn't a demo, and didn't HAVE a demo, it was some "Semi-Exclusive" Template mesh (only x copies ever sold buy now before the last two go!) item from some nameless designer, that retailed for 20,000 L$.

I spent some time wandering down the listings trying to find the most expensive demo, but RL forced me to quit before I found it.

It would be interesting to know just how much some fool thinks their demo is worth...

No, but when I tried to search for just a "dress", the most expensive item is this https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/The-Pink-Panther-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-White-Diamond-Donate-in-cancer-research/7877404 for L$2,999,999 which goes to the Cancer Institute Research says the page.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Prisqua Newall said:

No, but when I tried to search for just a "dress", the most expensive item is this https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/The-Pink-Panther-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-White-Diamond-Donate-in-cancer-research/7877404 for L$2,999,999 which goes to the Cancer Institute Research says the page.

Hmmm ... a rubbishy-looking no-copy ring with no demo, and ... no details given of this "Cancer Research Institute". Even rats smell better than that. huh.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Prisqua Newall said:

"This product can be used as an accessory or it can be used for a marriage proposal." If someone proposed with that ugly thing, it'd be an automatic no!!! lol! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I don't mind the L1 unless I want to get a few demos from the store. I have run into the L10 demo a few times recently, and even a L10 GIFT a couple times at events, that's an absolute no. You can absolutely kiss my butt if you think I'm going to pay ANYTHING for a "gift".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I have run into the L10 demo a few times recently, and even a L10 GIFT a couple times at events, that's an absolute no. You can absolutely kiss my butt if you think I'm going to pay ANYTHING for a "gift".

Calling it a GIFT and then charging L$ totally bites.  I don't have a problem with them putting out some little item for L$10 at events, but do NOT call it a GIFT. Call it a sample, call it a cheapie, or don't freakin label it at all, but it is NOT a GIFT.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 2:40 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

Free demos, I will grab all the demos of the things that interest me and usually end up buying something or all of it or nothing at all.

So you usually end up buying all, something, or nothing. What do you end up doing on the other occasions? ;)

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.