premium members get double land allotment, tier prices sliced

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, Keira Linden said:

From Grumpity Linden in this thread: 

Alright, problem found. We'll get a fix out shortly, in the meantime we have a supercomplicated workaround... 

1. load https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php
2. scroll down and click save changes

Voila!  We'll update here once the fix is out. 

And yes, this new land allotment has no effect on group bonus. They stack just fine. 

I did that workaround and I see no change. I have the tier-free 512 + the 10% goup bonus, and my Land Use Fees page still tells that it will cost $4 to get another 512. The new prices are shown, but there's no indicataion that another 512 will be tier-free. The indication is exactly the opposite. I have started the buying process so I don't know if that will be any different or not, but the Land Use Fees page shows that I only get 512 tier-free.

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I did that workaround and I see no change. I have the tier-free 512 + the 10% goup bonus, and my Land Use Fees page still tells that it will cost $4 to get another 512. The new prices are shown, but there's no indicataion that another 512 will be tier-free. The indication is exactly the opposite. I have started the buying process so I don't know if that will be any different or not, but the Land Use Fees page shows that I only get 512 tier-free.

Check in world- I didn't see a change on the web, but when I logged in, I noticed I could contribute and additional 512 to my group.

Aha! Thank you guys. I wasn't logged in but I am now, and inworld, the information is correct. I have 512 'Available for purchase'. The webpage hasn't changed, so that part either needs fixing or is too confusing for my 'first thing in the morning' brain.

Actually, I was looking at the wrong part of the webpage. It's the tier fees at the bottom that are wrong or confusing. I didn't look at the top part, so I don't know if that was correct or not. I scrolled straight down to the Save Changes button.

3 hours ago, animats said:

Premium membership is $72 a year. Each premium member gets L$300/week, or about US$60 a year. It costs 3.5% to sell, so that's worth $57.90. So premium membership only costs $14.10 a year.

Tier is $32.76 a year on 1024 m^2 if you buy an entire sim. So now it's a win to buy an army of premium accounts instead of buying land in bulk.

Am I calculating this wrong, or are we going to be overrun with even more alts that do nothing?

I posted about this recently. Before this change, a whole sim need only have cost approximately half the $195 tier. The reduction in tier doesn't make any difference, because, with alts, there is no tier to be paid. The difference is the extra tier-free 512, and Chinrey now calculates a whole sim, with an army of alts, to cost about $60 per month.

But I doubt that that will happen very much, if at all. It would require an army of alts, each costing $72 up front, to achieve. What I'm sure will happen is the same thing on a much smaller scale. I've dumped my previous calculations so I'm relying on rough memory here. Previously, 2 premium accounts could have an extra 512 for ~$1.nn per month. That would make a tier-free 1024 cost an extra ~US1.nn a month. The change is that it would now make a tier-free 2048 for an extra ~US$1.nn per month, and that, imo, makes a big difference because of the way we think - an extra 1024 seems hugely different to an extra 512. Small scales are what I can envisage people doing with alts now.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I posted about this recently. Before this change, a whole sim need only have cost approximately half the $195 tier. The reduction in tier doesn't make any difference, because, with alts, there is no tier to be paid. The difference is the extra tier-free 512, and Chinrey now calculates a whole sim, with an army of alts, to cost about $60 per month.

But I doubt that that will happen very much, if at all. It would require an army of alts, each costing $72 up front, to achieve. What I'm sure will happen is the same thing on a much smaller scale. I've dumped my previous calculations so I'm relying on rough memory here. Previously, 2 premium accounts could have an extra 512 for ~$1.nn per month. That would make a tier-free 1024 cost ~US1.nn a month. The change is that it would now make a tier-free 2048 for ~US$1.nn per month, and that, imo, makes a big difference because of the way we think - an extra 1024 seems hugely different to an extra 512. Small scales are what I can envisage people doing with alts now.

Agreed. Likely people will use alts to get that little bit extra without increasing their tier level. Same as always. 

Why anyone bothered to look in the Land Manager's Land Use Fees section is beyond me ... Your Account Summary page lists your allowed holdings, current holdings and other such information.

The only time you'd need to use the Land Manager is to calculate how much it will cost you to purchase additional land above what you have allotted as indicated by your Account Summary.

Edited by Solar Legion

47 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Small scales are what I can envisage people doing with alts now.

it's what i'm going to do... have 3 premiums for years, and with my bf's tier also in the group our 4096 plot is now free of additional payments.

With the new prices i gét money ..... if i take thing right......:SwingingFriends:

image.png.7890c5b7e31376e55e222fb31b0108d0.png

grr..forgot the fees +/- 10 usd

Edited by Alwin Alcott

Current calculation for 1 extra Premium alt:

A 12 month premium account, selling L$ at the current rate, and taking into account the 3.5% fee, shows that the extra 1024 that an alt brings will cost less than US$1 per month.

Annual premium account = US$72

1 year stipend = 300 * 52 = L$15,600

Sell at 249/$1 = $62.65  ( the exchange rate fluctuates)

-3.5% fee = $60.45

Nett cost per year for an extra 1024 = 72 - 60.45 = US$11.55 per year - less than US$1 per month

Of course, to get it at that cost would need the stipends to be sold and not spent.

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

Because that where Keira Linden said to go to fix the problem.

Apart from that, not being used to frequently finding my way around my account pages, it's a reasonable guess to find what I'm looking for.

15 hours ago, yes.

The work around forces/forced an update to the land holding data for your account though this far past the time that was posted, it's a bit of a mystery as to why it was showing up incorrectly for you.

Meh - first place I've always looked for important information for any account, anywhere has always been the Summary page.

Enjoy the additional tier.

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

though this far past the time that was posted, it's a bit of a mystery as to why it was showing up incorrectly for you.

I'm not sure that it was showing incorrectly. I did what Keira said - scroll down and click the button. While scrolled down, I looked at the list of tier costs, whcih indicate that an extra 512 will cost $4. BUT, I didn't look at the top of the page where numbers relate to me personally. When I eventually saw them, they were correct, and I have to assume that they were correct when I first arrived on that page.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it's what i'm going to do... have 3 premiums for years, and with my bf's tier also in the group our 4096 plot is now free of additional payments.

With the new prices i gét money ..... if i take thing right......:SwingingFriends:

image.png.7890c5b7e31376e55e222fb31b0108d0.png

I don't know what the 50 stipend is, but, with the 400 and 500 stipends, I'm sure you could have made a profit before the change, but not with as big a parcel, of course.

With those stipends, this change is excellent for you! :D

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

I don't know what the 50 stipend is

he is older then 28-5-2006... he gets it for only being a sweet guy :)

Stipends are a certain allowance of money paid weekly (on Tuesday) to residents in L$. Until May 29, 2006, Basic Account residents would receive L$50 per week but new basic account residents born/created after this date no longer receive a stipend. Those basic accounts that still recieve a stipend are required to login at least once a week to recieve the stipend for that week. Premium Accounts created before July 21st, 2006, receive a weekly allowance of L$500 and do not have to login to recieve their stipend. Any Premium account created after July 21st but before November 1st receives L$400 per week, while Premium accounts created after November 1st receive a stipend of L$300 per week.

Stipend Amounts

The table below details what weekly stipend will be given to Basic and Premium accounts which were created within the dates specified.

Account created within Basic Premium
(unknown) - 2006-05-28 L$50 (*) L$500
2006-05-29 - 2006-07-20 L$0 L$500
2006-07-21 - 2006-10-31 L$0 L$400
2006-11-01 - current L$0 L$300
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Alwin Alcott  I laughed at the "sweet guy" bit :)

I joined 2 months too late for the 400, or I'd have been making a profit since I went down to a 512.

I'm going to go ahead and Premiumise my main alt. 2048 is so much better then the 1024 it would have allowed previously. I've spent a lot of time lately on writing a couple of scripted things, and the idea of selling them has been drifting around my mind. One is a vastly improved version of an item I used to sell in my store. The other is an improved version of a useful item I wrote years ago but never offered for sale. So I think I'll generate some more personal interest by doing that - just for the sake of it.

Edited by Phil Deakins

16 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Anyone looking for some double prim land right now. Look NORTH or Zindra

Do you mean north sim?  that is only for people on a "guest list". im not banned from that sim, and have payment info on file.

and i hope you mean zindra continent, as zindra sim is a water sim. ( i mean some people like water sims though)

I had a quick look on the inworld map for land for sale on the mainland, strangely enough, a lot of the spare land for sale there was 

owned by governor linden for "maintenance", and wasnt for sale at all.

Edited by panatropica
added extra comment

38 minutes ago, panatropica said:

Do you mean north sim?  that is only for people on a "guest list". im not banned from that sim, and have payment info on file.

and i hope you mean zindra continent, as zindra sim is a water sim. ( i mean some people like water sims though)

I had a quick look on the inworld map for land for sale on the mainland, strangely enough, a lot of the spare land for sale there was 

owned by governor linden for "maintenance", and wasnt for sale at all.

In context, I'm sure Pussycat meant "north of Zindra" which is where the double-primmed Adult "Horizons" mini-continent is located. And yeah, she surely meant the Zindra continent, not the Zindra region (and that region name has quite a history, explaining why it's out in the middle of nowhere now).

Where is this "maintenance" land that was showing as for sale on the map? That can happen if the owner abandoned it in the past 24 hours or so, before the map gets fully updated. (I could make up theories about why the Lab might make that happen, coinciding with the new tier structure, but it would just be speculation, and I haven't even seen it myself.)

• Thanks 2

Hello Qie, i use the current firestorm viewer, and one large mainland lot is in dagger sim (almost half the sim) currently shows for sale within the inworld map, but governor linden has it as i speak, (or type)

The yellow sale signs in firestorm inworld map just seemed to lead me to lots owned by gov linden. a bug perhaps? I dont know.

Quite a few parcels of mainland for sale (shown in yellow with a $) were also owned by gov linden.

Yes that is correct when you abandon land it goes to gov linden.

I will have to have a look up at horizons or zindra or what ever its called.  im not after land, really, but it could be worth a look at the moment.

Edited by panatropica
reworded my comment to make more sense lol

For smaller land owners this is a real win. For those of us who were hoping for a reduction on our full sim  - I'm not sure how we'll spend our $20 a month saving. Yes we got 1024 extra (there's 2 of us) but pro rata it's not much compared to smaller land owners

A thank-you to Linden Lab for doing this. Upping the tier-free allowance to 1024 sq m is something I've suggested many times as a way getting those vast swathes of abandoned Mainland back into use. 

Although it would now be possible for our group to go tier-free with its existing landholding, we've decided to use up our spare tier to buy another plot so LL won't lose out either.  Win-win !

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

Upping the tier-free allowance to 1024 sq m is something I've suggested many times as a way getting those vast swathes of abandoned Mainland back into use. 

And a thankyou to you and all those who suggested it :)

Another frequent suggestion that some of us have made is to not have such big jumps between tier levels. The biggest jumps have been split now, and that's very good, and I'm hoping for some more splits at the higher end of the levels, such as between 16 and 32, and 8 and 16. We can hope :)

Yes Que has the right of what I meant.

North of Zindra continent.

Open up map search and search for a sim:

"Horizons "

Note the space after the s. All of the sims up there are two word sims with the first word being Horizons. It's themed 'retro sci-fi canal city' and all the lots are 1024 double prim.

Oddly many of them are unsold. Understandably because land barons bought them all and half those got price up into the WTF range... but I managed to get one for 20,000L about 2 months ago...

In generally though... a LOT of people now have 512m more meters of land allowance than they did yesterday. People with brains actually have 563m more. :P

So... time to go shopping. There's a lot of good mainland out there... the above example is likely the easiest place to get some double prim land...

The good land in SL is usually too expensive for most people... Horizons can run counter to that. But that won't last long. The plot next to mine recently doubled in price.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.