Default avatars don't look too appealing?

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I personally feel, and observed that the choices in the current default avatar selection are not too appealing to many people, especially young people (teen to young adult). Do you guys feel the same? I know they are just default avatars but they just seem off which is quite a shame because it might give a non-ideal first impression and feel to people who are just trying out Second Life for the first time. 

Almost all of them seems grumpy or angry, or uses too much makeups for example and generally have not been received too well according to what I've seen and heard both in and out of SL.

I mean I'm sure LL and whoever is in charge of making the default avatars are capable of doing a much better job at them (the avatars in the forum's banner and destinations categories' thumbnails look much better than the default avatars for example)

It's a bit far-fetched, but if LL is intentionally making the default avatars looking sub-par to motivate new users to spend some lindens to make their avatar looks better, I think it's actually doing more harm than good.

What do you guys think? 

• Like 1

I am not sure how long you've been in SL in total, but the new default avatars in this day and age are FAR better-looking than they were when I started 11 years ago, and again when I came back in 2011. Secondlife seems to stay pretty up and coming with the fashions and mesh etc. Example, the current avatars of choice when you sign up are mesh. Additionally, Secondlife has it's own infrastructure and money transactions/system. In a way, I'm sure that income is a small motivation to add more lindens to the system. On the other hand, LL doesn't control what users create or suppress their imaginations and what have you. There are many resources out there if folks choose to create their own clothing. Yes, they would need to spend a handful of Ls to upload the mesh and the textures and the like, but that is to each person's decision. I see plenty of users standing in sandboxes in default avatars, building away, and they look just fine! Appearance isn't a primary concern to some folks, and even if it was, they aren't too bad off with the defaults. 

When I started, the starter avatars looked like this :

screenshot_4.jpg

Now the starter avatars look like this :

2016-SL-Avatars-Selection-Classic.jpg

While I've never been a fan of the default avatar and can't really defend it, on the other hand I do see that LL had done some really good efforts to update the starter avatars. I believe that they can't and will never please everyone but I believe it's impossible too.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

I personally feel, and observed that the choices in the current default avatar selection are not too appealing to many people, especially young people (teen to young adult). Do you guys feel the same? I know they are just default avatars but they just seem off which is quite a shame because it might give a non-ideal first impression and feel to people who are just trying out Second Life for the first time. 

Most "starter packs" in any virtual world or (I hate to use the word) Game, are sad no power, little equipment avs. 

Almost all of them seems grumpy or angry, or uses too much makeups for example and generally have not been received too well according to what I've seen and heard both in and out of SL.

I think that is more of your personal take on them. 

I mean I'm sure LL and whoever is in charge of making the default avatars are capable of doing a much better job at them (the avatars in the forum's banner and destinations categories' thumbnails look much better than the default avatars for example)

The avs in the banner and destination thumbnals are Users of SL who have spent a lot of time and money to make their avs look the best they want. 

It's a bit far-fetched, but if LL is intentionally making the default avatars looking sub-par to motivate new users to spend some lindens to make their avatar looks better, I think it's actually doing more harm than good.

No. LL isn't making anything look "bad" to sell users items.

What do you guys think? 

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.. No one is expected to stay with the starter av. Even long before mesh, we all bought skins and clothing. 

31 minutes ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

When I started, the starter avatars looked like this :

boynextdoor.jpg

Do you remember these avatars?  I know there were a few others when I first joined (including Ruth) buy this guy and his sister were the best looking ones.

31 minutes ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

I believe that they can't and will never please everyone but I believe it's impossible too.

I don't think they should, either.  All a new resident needs is something to get around in until they develop their own style.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

boynextdoor.jpg

Do you remember these avatars?  I know there were a few others when I first joined (including Ruth) buy this guy and his sister were the best looking ones.

HEY! THAT'S ONE OF MY BOTS! How did you manage to steal a bot from me? There WILL be consequences, you know!

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I don't think they should, either.  All a new resident needs is something to get around in until they develop their own style.

well yes, maybe few more hints on shopping, groupjoin boards of free fashion groups and promotion of starter packs would help with encouraging them to do so...

When I run into starters they hardly ever care bout their looks... so general "cool vs not cool " behaviour hints would help, too.

If you look at me in RL you´ll see a mid-chubby girl of average height in jeans and tshirt, no makeup, caring eff all bout fashion... funny enough compared to my beloved Kasha having had her success in blogging (she did have more success than I´d have expected her to XD) and even switching to the styles like red light workers through their clients *coughs* 

Maybe classes ... but the starter sims just don´t care...they´re not interested... I´ve been trying to make that happen for years... since 2012 if not earlier... oh well

2 hours ago, lucagrabacr said:

I personally feel, and observed that the choices in the current default avatar selection are not too appealing to many people, especially young people (teen to young adult).

What do you guys think? 

young teens, teens and nearly adults don't belong on most places of SL anyway... so that problem is solved.

Next to that the avatars are start avatars... SL is made for development of your own world, including avatar,  and the current choices are not bad at all. There's something for everybody even some RP themed av's.

The possibilities to work on your own looks are a huge part of the SL experience and a major contribution to the economy.

And if you don't want... keep the starter... but don't be surprised people react, or the lack of response... when you think you still are and up to date with a 2004 skin, shape and hair... i know looks shouldnt matter, but we all know it does.

@norajulian, @Morgan Rosenstar

I know the default avatars have improved a lot, but that doesn't change the fact that they can be much better and that LL is capable of providing that.

@Drake1 Nightfire

I'm talking about the Destinations Categories thumbnails, not Destinations thumbnails, then again, even if those are made by the users doesn't mean LL can't do the same or even better job.

@Alwin Alcott

I completely agree to your point that SL is made for development of your own world and self / look, and I did point out in my post about the possibility that LL might have intentionally made them look sub-par to motivate new users to shop. I just think a better first impression is more important for people to be interested in and get into SL in the first place, and after that people would shop and customize their avatars' look anyway even if the starter avatars look better. 

Edit to elaborate further:

It's a good selling point. For example; and I'm not comparing SL to video games, but major video games developers know this and utilize its marketing power. It can even be one of the crucial selling points in some games, and I know you can achieve this in SL much more so than in video games, I'm just saying this strong appeal has not been underlined enough through the first impressions people would get when they take a glimpse at, or just started trying SL out.

Edited by lucagrabacr

1 hour ago, lucagrabacr said:

I know the default avatars have improved a lot, but that doesn't change the fact that they can be much better and that LL is capable of providing that.

Sure, they're capable, but you're capable of creating avatar outfits and meshes and selling them as freebies to new members in SL, too. If it's something you'd like to see happen, set up some avatars and stand around at sandboxes and welcome hubs and pass them out. LL is quite busy worrying about the other 10,000 complaints that residents have that the appearance of something that are set as default/starters that they've already improved quite a bit.. well, it just isn't on the priority list. SL is a place of self-expression and freedom. You are free to improve yourself however you can manage. Some creators sell those items that they've made for self-improvement. *shrugs*

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

boynextdoor.jpg

I'm wondering, is that's where the term Ruthed came from?

I just remember knowing when I was Ruthed,but never really ever learned where the term came from..I don't even remember knowing when I learned the term,just saying it like it was the natural thing to say,each time it happened to me..hehehe

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just remember knowing when I was Ruthed,but never really ever learned where the term came from..I don't even remember knowing when I learned the term,just saying it like it was the natural thing to say,each time it happened to me..hehehe

I always thought the one in my picture in the pink dress was "Ruth"  and that was where it came from.  I might have made that up in my own head though

27 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Yep, that's the origin of the term. Ruth is the mother of us all, and she looked like this:

ruth-avatar.jpg

Whenever anyone was ruthed their shape would turn into that one, replete with boobs (even the guys). She's still to be found in everyone's inventory library.

When I signed up, back in June 2007, these were the two main default avatars:

latest?cb=20080508212239

I chose the 'male goth' default avatar, being someone who loves black. And... yeah. 2007 was a cruel year to be a noob :/

theuglyduckling.jpg

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I always thought the one in my picture in the pink dress was "Ruth"  and that was where it came from.  I might have made that up in my own head though

The girl in the pink polkadot dress was known as 'Girl Next Door'. For a long time she was the avatar you got when you hit the 'test female' option in the viewer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

The girl in the pink polkadot dress was known as 'Girl Next Door'. For a long time she was the avatar you got when you hit the 'test female' option in the viewer.

I just tried the test female for curiosity in firestorm and got nothing.  In the early days I must have used that once a day trying to fix myself and start again.

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I just tried the test female for curiosity in firestorm and got nothing.  In the early days I must have used that once a day trying to fix myself and start again.

It should still work. As far as I remember, the current test female is the 'Party Girl' avatar on the far left in the cream dress in this picture:

screenshot_4.jpg&key=346f561568d277e23c0

And the test male avatar is currently the one second from the left in this image:

starter_progression.jpg

The test male definitely works (at least, in the last Firestorm viewer; I've not updated to the newest version yet) because I changed into it to take that screenshot progression last week.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Yep, that's the origin of the term. Ruth is the mother of us all, and she looked like this:

ruth-avatar.jpg

Whenever anyone was ruthed their shape would turn into that one, replete with boobs (even the guys). She's still to be found in everyone's inventory library.

When I signed up, back in June 2007, these were the two main default avatars:

latest?cb=20080508212239

I chose the 'male goth' default avatar, being someone who loves black. And... yeah. 2007 was a cruel year to be a noob :/

theuglyduckling.jpg

That brings back memories..I think those two were the same for the 2006 avatars,but I'm not sure..

I remember making my shape the first time..I was so happy with how it turned out and thought I looked great..hehehehe

Then a couple days later some guy gave me a skin and shape..By this time I was way passed the whole box stuck on my head phase and  in my groove..

I put on the skin and shape and my whole world came crashing down on me..

I was like ,what the hell did you just do to my avatar?! \o/

I hadn't even seen any nice avatars yet,I thought the guy just pulled a joke on me.. When in reality he was just being a nice person..I felt  bad once I realized that..

I was so bummed  until I went back to the drawing board and made my shape again and then found a really nice skin..

Those first avatars were pretty bad..But I never knew they were until later..

When I first got into them ,they were the best thing since sliced bread.. hehehehe

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

starter_progression.jpg

The second one from the left reminds me of that one guy that used to be in the forums all the time..I always forget his first name..

Last name engineer and everything always smelled to coffee and something about  gambling houses..

WASTED Engineer,that's it! hehehe

He always had that avatar and I think he always kept that same shirt on, even..hehehe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I kinda miss these guys

female-avis-with-underwear.jpg

I so do not miss them.

2 hours ago, lucagrabacr said:

I don't think so.

For the best and the worst but LL is here to provide a 3d platform (preferably stable and not under unscheduled maintenances every 3 days but that's another topic) not to provide free top quality avatars.

I don't like LL default avies so I'll not say they look good for me. Then we can find as many pros for LL to release more appealing starter avatars than cons but at the end of the day, I believe that the conclusion will be around that these starter avatars are a decent compromise. Not the best avies but not that bad either. And you may also be surprised to discover that a lot of SLers honestly do not want more than the LL default avatar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

HEY! THAT'S ONE OF MY BOTS! How did you manage to steal a bot from me? There WILL be consequences, you know!

She didn't steal it, it ran away from you and is currently applying for Political Assylum on the grounds of "Gratuitous Fashion Cruelty".

Under the Federal Refugee-Bot Relocation Program, it will qualify for a free 20 L$ makeover and a new display name, at an undisclosed Non-Mainland location.

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The second one from the left reminds me of that one guy that used to be in the forums all the time..I always forget his first name..

Last name engineer and everything always smelled to coffee and something about  gambling houses..

WASTED Engineer,that's it! hehehe

He always had that avatar and I think he always kept that same shirt on, even..hehehe

"Linden Labs is discriminatory towards teh Spaniards." 

Dude cracked me up, every single post of his was comedy gold. 

• Haha 2

If LL created better starter avs, they'd be in direct competition with their users. I doubt they intend to make that kind of move. Aside from that, most LL employees aren't creators. A lot of what they DO offer in the library, isn't really made by them, well, not anymore anyway. It used to be all LL created stuff(even then, I questioned whether or not their employees REALLY made them, I know, cynical of me, lol)but now, it's most certainly not ;) 

Aside from that...yeah, they work just peachy for some, not so peachy for others. No, the starter avs are not actually a very important selling point, or even really a selling point, for SL. Why? Because the starter avs are intended to work right out of the box, as is...and they do. Whether or not people *like* how they look, is a different story altogether, and the fact that some people DON'T like them, is the actual selling point(it promotes exploration, whether it is finding free stuff, making stuff, or buying stuff..it's exploration nonetheless).

Nope, don't want "nicer looking starter avs", LL has bigger fish to fry. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.