According to Terminator Genisys, 2017 is the year Skynet comes to power.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And it's all because of the smartphones!

A few questions for you:

1. Do you have a smartphone?

2. Do you think Artificial Intelligence will eventually become self-aware (a la Skynet in Terminator?)

I don't have a smartphone, just a regular flip phone that I'm happy with.

I don't think AI will ever become self-aware. Simply because biological brains (and consciousness) are just too complex to match with technology. But it's just a hunch.

I don't use cell phones at all..We still have a land line at our house.. 95% of Americans have a cell phone..I have no idea what it is in other countries.

I just know that I'm not ready to give up yet..They can't have my brains..Not even a little taste..hehehehe

the-zombie-apocalypse-is-here.jpg

• Like 3

1) Do I own A smart phone?  No.

My daughter is back at home with us so at this moment we have:

• 2 Samsung Galaxy S8's
  • 1 iPhone 7
  • 2 Samsung Tab 4
  • 1 Samsung Tab S3 (aka, a Nook)

Those are all phones in one form or another.  I could "make" the Kindle be a phone but it wasn't an off the shelf option.  The living room TV is another smart device and again I could make it be an internet phone but it is not a native option.  Besides, if we add in what could be used as an internet phone it starts to become silly.

2) I have learned to never say never.  I'll just say it is not currently a reasonable possibility. 

s-l300.jpg

• Like 1

My husband and I just got our first smart phones a little over a year ago and we still have our landline in the house.  Even after having my phone for over a year, I barely use any of the 'smart' abilities.  I text, I sometimes talk, I use the airline boarding pass apps, and when we travel we use the mapping functions. That's about it.  We both work with computers all day and that seems to have made us both just tired of tech, so we were late adopters.  I've never been a phone person anyway so still cannot see the point of having one glued to my hands all the time.  Heck, most of the time it is in my purse and I forget I've even got one.

Can you imagine a machine intelligence that is thousands of degrees smarter than any one or all of humanity? We always write our stories to make humans triumph over machines but when a true AI writes it's story upon us it will not see the need to make humanity win. 

13 minutes ago, Nova Convair said:

If I see that right the mankind is already working on it. It isn't finished yet so 2017 was to optimistic or pessimistic. :D

And if you have or not have a smartphone will not make any difference. :D 

That's why knowing how to make really awesome Electromagnetic Pulse bazooka will come in handy one day:D

• Like 1

1. Yes I have a smart phone, but it's just for emergencies. Even I don't know its number. It's only 'smart' because that's what's sold these days.

2. No. AI will never become self-aware. It will/may give the impression of being self-aware, and it will be able to do things that we can't do - at least nowhere near as quickly (like now) - but never self-aware. It may even try to supercede us, but not due to being self-aware - merely due to it's blind, unaware, programming - just like a stone rolls down a hill - dead and unaware.

Edited by Phil Deakins

I was an "early adopter" when it came to smartphones, My employer bought us all a Palm Treo, which replaced my Palm-III PDA and a cool-looking but fairly useless Nokia slider-phone.

Personally, I think AI is something we should not just -do- because we can. The human race needs to carry its own water as much as is practical.

14 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

1. Do you have a smartphone?

2. Do you think Artificial Intelligence will eventually become self-aware (a la Skynet in Terminator?)

1. That's a phone with a cable to the wall? Nope, mine runs on radio and has a tv screen I can touch!

2. It already has, and it's how we evolve from here. As the last generation of organic humans, right now we are little more than some bits and bytes on a SL SIM's UDP CAP that now resides inside a larger simulation on a more elaborate (and clearly not run by LL) primary simulation.

Counting backwards from second to first.... Zeroth Life?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

2. It already has, and it's how we evolve from here. As the last generation of organic humans, right now we are little more than some bits and bytes on a SL SIM's UDP CAP that now resides inside a larger simulation on a more elaborate (and clearly not run by LL) primary simulation.

You forgot to mention that the animations and the graphics here are fantastic. I have literally never seen better animations and graphics. I hope someday I will. Oh and no lag! Except for on days I am hungover or sick or something similar.

Edited by MMB Jameson

I know this thread is not specifically about the film but I just had to say it. As a fan of T1 and T2, I really did not like this one.

I don't know if anyone else here feels the same, but I didn't buy Emilia as being Sarah Conner (at any age) and Micheal Bean was the better Reese. T1 and T2 was more then an action film. It was a great story with amazing casting! I loved the chemistry between Micheal Bean and Linda Hamilton. I equally enjoyed watching her transition her role from the first to the second film. 

• Like 2

Skynet comes to power year 2017

Below leaked documentation from NSA....

Skynet mainframe: >>>> dialing
Skynet mainframe: ** handshake **

----------------…----------------------…----
Skynet mainframe: *ACK*
----------------…----------------------…----
Skynet mainframe:  *ACK*
----------------CAN----------------------CAN----
----------------EOT----------------------EOT----

Skynet mainframe:  << NULL << F*CK

Humanity saved by missing cell phone carrier signal xD

Ok,I may end up getting a cell phone,Like I said I wasn't going to let happen:ph34r::$

BUT! I have a really good reason..hehehe

Mainly because we are doing away with our cable company which hits us up for like 300.00 a month for,Land line phone ,tv that we don't even have movie channels with and internet..

So we are getting rid of tv and phone and just keeping internet with them for now..

Oh yea,plus my job at skynet made it a mandatory thing now so,gotta dew et.

I said ,but I don't want to be a zopmbie!!\o/ 

They said no,silly nilly,you work in the office..We all get to be evil doer's once we are turned..

I was like oh ok,well that's not so bad..

They even gave me really cool free stuff clothes and a couple of really awesome powers..

So yea,I have a really good reason to get a phone now:P

108952937_devil-girl-graphic-decal-stick

Signed Ceka<3

• Like 2

I have a smart phone because I am too lazy to copy the shopping list.  Seriously, most of the pictures I take are either the marker board hanging in the kitchen or serial numbers on devices at work so I can enlarge them enough to read.  Otherwise I use it to read the forums while I am trapped in a business meeting.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

...serial numbers on devices at work so I can enlarge them enough to read.....

Yay! I thought I was the only one!

(I do wonder why the writng is getting smaller and smaller each year)

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 3

If you sit down and think of it... the AI in The Matrix could easily have been given the exact same plot... and then called itself a benevolent caretaker of humanity.

The Matrix knows what is best for you, and will give you the perfect paradise to live in based on all of its machine learning of human desire and nature.

- Frankly, as a person of color; from colonialism to reservations to urban renewal to project housing - all of this was done in the name of 'improving the lot and lives of savages'. These giant AIs that take over the world in Sci Fi... for some of us that is basically what the real world has been like for the past few centuries.

I imagine that if an AI were to ever 'take over' it would do so out of a sense of duty to protect humans from themselves.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Yes. I was just trying to avoid saying it that directly...

I see things like "Handmaids Tail" imagined as this horrible future and I'm like - well that's just everyone else's last few centuries.

I remember when they used to call human trafficking 'white slavery' - which always confused me because most of the victims are not white... it was the media's way of trying to make it seem 'horrible enough to be criminal' back in the 70s and 80s... which just made things worse - because it sounded like they were really saying "this time you should care because we found a white victim."

A few years after seeing "The Matrix", when I was in a class learning the history of Urban Renewal and how the Housing Projects of the USA were made by using eminent domain to take land from black land-owning families and then put them in government buildings to 'better their lives'... typically done anywhere you could put a freeway and a line of hotels and industrial businesses on the other side of the freeway from the Projects...

It just clicked that, intended or not, The Matrix is another one of these stories of 'what goes around comes around' (as the link you provided would have described this kind of SciFi). I don't think these authors are sitting in a room and coming up with this theme, over and over again, on purpose. So it speaks to something else going on in the collective psych of these writers.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.