Small hands?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was at the SL14B shopping area this weekend and I saw several avatars who had good proportions... except for having very small hands. Is there something in the mesh hand design causing this? I have the major mesh bodies and I can make regular sized hands. Are people just being weird like having tiny heads or super wide hips? 

I must admit that I saw one woman with incredibly large hands. I stared at her for several minutes. Her profile was empty.

Edited by Bree Giffen
Additional stuff

I've noticed this, too. I picked up the demo of some mesh nails a while ago and when i unpacked them they were for hand size 10. That's incredibly small, as I recall that the average female nail/hand size (before mesh hands were a thing) was around 20-ish. Nails for male hands were either 50 or 55, depending on the creator.

I guess teeny-tiny hands is the female equivalent of T-Rex arms on the guys ;)

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

A LOT of people in SL have no concept of proportions or biology. I haven't really seen tiny hands; the one I see all the time is little baby T-rex arms. I do see the super wide thunder hips though. There's a chance that a few people are doing it intentionally; some friends and I would make really grotesque and weird characters in some MMOs to see how far the sliders can go.

• Like 2

I once was with this guy and he asked me to wear a shape for him, since he was paying me to be with him I figured why not. He gave me the shape and I put it on and I had these huge hips, So it must be a turn on for some guys. For me that is one of the reasons I come to SL, to have smaller hips.

• Like 1

Once upon a time, long ago, in a galaxy very close, I wished I had bigger wabs. Then I got more and more used to them, and went through the time of my life when I used them for their actual purpose. I kind of equalized, realizing that there was so much about my body that I liked, that I really didn't have very much to complain about.

Then I came to SL and knew very soon I could make my avatar as buxom as I wanted. But, even then, early on, I saw that really big boobs in SL were very common. I decided then that my avatar would more or less retain my rl proportions, with the notable exception that I can still defy gravity here more than in RL. Also, I love that in SL I can be a natural redhead. :)

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Then I came to SL and knew very soon I could make my avatar as buxom as I wanted. But, even then, early on, I saw that really big boobs in SL were very common. I decided then that my avatar would more or less retain my rl proportions, with the notable exception that I can still defy gravity here more than in RL.

As I recall (been maybe six years since I last edited my shape) I can't actually retain my RL proportions here. If I drag the boob slider to zero, that's not enough. If I drag it to one, that's too much. Each step after one is very small, but that first step is (for me) a doozy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I can still defy gravity here 

Gravity here is our friend, jump off a cliff and it transports you safely to the ground, and never ever makes your parts sag.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

As I recall (been maybe six years since I last edited my shape) I can't actually retain my RL proportions here. If I drag the boob slider to zero, that's not enough. If I drag it to one, that's too much. Each step after one is very small, but that first step is (for me) a doozy.

It would have been so easy for LL, at the time, to have been more inclusive. To have aspects of the avatar shape settings to have more consistency.

• Like 2

Notice how a question about small hands has turned into a discussion of the size of other body parts. Which might explain why some people have odd sized hands, because we are to busy adjusting the size of other parts to care about what size out hands are.

• Like 6

It is basic lack of knowledge about anatomy.

Hand and foot size:

Next comes hand size. One of the major ‘lol’ issues with SL men is tiny hands… How can you tell a noob shape or noob shape maker – look at the hands first. In my screenshots I’m taking off my furry paws for a moment here so you can see this how most of you will deal with it:
Hand Size
You will want your hand from the base of your palm to the tips of your fingers to be the same size as the distance between your chin and midway between your brows and ‘hairline’. I’m guessing my hairline on this one. Again men have slightly thicker hands and women slightly daintier – but use extreme care in deviating here: the hand size slider doesn’t adjust for thick / width / muscle, just size all around. A little bit goes a long way.

Feet:

Finally do your feet for when barefoot. Make the feet the same size as the length of your forearm. Obviously if you use rigged mesh feet, you’ll be out of luck on this one – but if those feet “look normal enough” this is one area where you can probably get by being a little off.

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/getting-good-body-proportions-in-second-life/

- But guides for years have told people to just set hands to 20 or 23, and feet to 0.

Feet to 0 was for the old days when you had to fit them inside sculpty shoes that themselves were usually way too small.

Hands at 20 or 23... I have no idea. Somebody was smoking the bad stuff and everybody listened to them...

Also note that the 35 I used in the screenshot above, might work for me, but not you. Look at how I got that number instead...

That or... the original advice was written by a New York Hotel Mogul and grandson of a pimp & drug kingpin...

PS: Oh and it looks like I need to update my feet section to mention fitmesh feet that respond to shape dials... and that some brands don't respond... and this is important in making a purchasing decision...

And I should probably update that screenshot of the hands to use some modern bento or fitmesh hands...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 5

On 13.6.2017 at 3:46 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

You may be interested in knowing that there are actually not one but two values between 0 and 1 on those sliders, it's just that there is no way for us to access them. The actual values the program uses are eight bit so there are 256 steps from 0 to 255 but for no rational reason whatsoever LL decided to use a 0-100 scale for the viewer and then have the computer multiply the settigns by 2.55 and round of to the nearest digit.

could be something somewhere being updated as this somehow makes all my avis have sticks for legs, tiny feet and short arms with small hands. no shape changes or stuff on my side - happened to me few times after bento update. nothing on me auto-updates, so dunno but wait a day and see if people still run around with oddly proportioned bodies. oherwise, yep, seen plenty and lemme tell ya that booties are out and slenderman shapes are so in.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.