How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

19 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

This reminds me - do we have an artsy photo thread somewhere in the Photography section or somefin'? Taking/posting fashion photos is fun, but I've been wanting to get back to my usual creative shenanigans.

There are threads for landscape photography, storytelling, friends, and closeups, all still reasonably active there. There used to be one for B&W, I think.

I don't think there's ever been an "artsy" thread, as such. Should there be? Would it be used? (I have photos I haven't posted here because they are *cough* "artsy," rather than avatar-centred.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thank you. I have a terrible time with B&W, which is odd because I almost always work with a restricted palette in my photos: I'm not a colourist. (Compare the glorious use of colour in @Gwin LeShelle's pic, above!) And there's a kind of very common way of doing B&W in SL photos -- a low key, high contrast, sharpened look -- that I'm trying to avoid, not because it's ineffective (it's very attractive, actually), but just because it gets used a lot. (I sometimes wonder if there is a filter out there everyone is using, or is it just a sort of genre thing? It's a bit Ansel Adams in effect.)

Anyway, I've been struggling with B&W, and I'm taking a slightly different approach now. I need to do a lot more experimentation, I think, before I'm comfortable knowing why and how to use B&W. I want to use it for drama, and to be emotive. This pic is a step in that direction: I'm not unhappy with the result.

PS. I'd love to hear from others how they use and see B&W, but perhaps not here.

I think it's a genre thing, but I could be wrong. Every time I've tried low contrast in B/W, it ends up looking flat.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There are threads for landscape photography, storytelling, friends, and closeups, all still reasonably active there. There used to be one for B&W, I think.

I don't think there's ever been an "artsy" thread, as such. Should there be? Would it be used? (I have photos I haven't posted here because they are *cough* "artsy," rather than avatar-centred.)

Not sure if any of that would apply to me. HMMM. Maybe storytelling, perhaps.

I think an artsy thread might be useful? Depending. Like, I've been experimenting with creating "movie stills" inspired by real life films, for example. As well as making elaborate scenes inspired by books/songs/music videos. Stuff like that.

We could start one over there and see where it goes mayyyybeee?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Not sure if any of that would apply to me. HMMM. Maybe storytelling, perhaps.

I think an artsy thread might be useful? Depending. Like, I've been experimenting with creating "movie stills" inspired by real life films, for example. As well as making elaborate scenes inspired by books/songs/music videos. Stuff like that.

We could start one over there and see where it goes mayyyybeee?

Done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

32 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am not entirely sure what is happening here, but I know two things: 1) the colors and shapes are cool, and 2) there is likely a very large set of boobs in there somewhere.

I see a puppy dog with its nose near the front left of the picture, tail at back right.

• Haha 5

On 7/26/2022 at 1:44 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Done.

This is gonna be fun.. I'm gonna have to get cracking on these hehehe

I'm finally figuring my way around in Black Dragon for the first time.. I could swear I couldn't find camera and move controls before, but somehow found them..

It looks delicious with all the options.. :)

Just curious of your editing program.. Are you using Photoshop or Gimp or something else?

• Like 3