How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

53 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Is that what it is called? Is that the same as the side ways shots that everyone is doing now? 

Well, yes . . . and no.

The Dutch angle originated, as I understand it, as a cinematic effect, and was/is used to create a sense of tension, or action, or movement, or disorientation. Or stuff like that.

But strictly speaking, it doesn't generally turn the camera 90%, or anywhere even close. The sideways pics that seem to cause so much consternation are really extreme uses of the Dutch angle, and it's not always clearly to me why it is done, as I'm far from sure that it is always adding meaning to the pic. If I had to guess -- and to know, you'd need to ask every individual who does this -- the pic is tilted 90% (or close to) because it ensures a higher resolution for the body, which is generally vertical. Computer screens usually use a "landscape" aspect ratio, so you can get more of the body in, or at least more detail in, by turning the figure to conform with that.

A lot of people seem to get very exercised about this. I myself find it dull if it's overused, and kind of pointless unless it is obviously contributing to the effect of the pic, but . . . meh. Whatever. My chief objection might actually be that I have to turn my head sideways sometimes to make out the detail in an outfit properly.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
11 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Is that what it is called? Is that the same as the side ways shots that everyone is doing now? 

Well, yes . . . and no.

The Dutch angle originated, as I understand it, as a cinematic effect, and was/is used to create a sense of tension, or action, or movement, or disorientation. Or stuff like that.

Calling it a 'Dutch angle' is actually a pejorative expression sprung from the English contempt for the Dutch after the Anglo-Dutch wars in the 17th and 18th centuries, a bit the same as 'Dutch courage' (alcohol-induced attitude) and 'Dutch wife' (prostitutes). 

An alternative name for it is the 'German angle', due to the heavy use of twisted angles in German silent era expressionist film, with the idea being the same; create unease in the viewer through the distortion of reality. To many people today, that style is just known as being a part of the 'Burtonesque' due to how it has influenced the very popular works of Tim Burton.

cabinet.jpg?w=1200&h=680&crop=1
   The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, 1920

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

Calling it a 'Dutch angle' is actually a pejorative expression sprung from the English contempt for the Dutch after the Anglo-Dutch wars in the 17th and 18th centuries, a bit the same as 'Dutch courage' (alcohol-induced attitude) and 'Dutch wife' (prostitutes). 

An alternative name for it is the 'German angle', due to the heavy use of twisted angles in German silent era expressionist film, with the idea being the same; create unease in the viewer through the distortion of reality. To many people today, that style is just known as being a part of the 'Burtonesque' due to how it has influenced the very popular works of Tim Burton.

cabinet.jpg?w=1200&h=680&crop=1
   The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, 1920

Oh, hm. Well as old as I am, I have never heard of that. I guess it is not the angle I am talking about then.. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, yes . . . and no.

But strictly speaking, it doesn't generally turn the camera 90%, or anywhere even close. The sideways pics that seem to cause so much consternation are really extreme uses of the Dutch angle, and it's not always clearly to me why it is done, as I'm far from sure that it is always adding meaning to the pic. If I had to guess -- and to know, you'd need to ask every individual who does this -- the pic is tilted 90% (or close to) because it ensures a higher resolution for the body, which is generally vertical. Computer screens usually use a "landscape" aspect ratio, so you can get more of the body in, or at least more detail in, by turning the figure to conform with that.

A lot of people seem to get very exercised about this. I myself find it dull if it's overused, and kind of pointless unless it is obviously contributing to the effect of the pic, but . . . meh. Whatever. My chief objection might actually be that I have to turn my head sideways sometimes to make out the detail in an outfit properly.

I agree though, I find it overly used as well and find them annoying. I was looking at a whole flicker photo stream from someone and every photo was set at a 90.. I appreciate your insight. Most helpful.

• Thanks 1