Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

5 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

The fog hasn't burned off at all, at my house, so it's even hard to tell if it is darker out than usual.  Plus the sun would be behind the tallest tree in the backyard at this time of morning.  My husband's been watching it on TV.   

Same here on the fog, although without it I'd have had a fine view; I'm on the north side of a canyon so have a big view to the south. It was definitely darker than normal though at around 10:00 A.M. and was much lighter at 11:00.

I watched on TV (for one thing friends of ours from Washington were camped at Madras) and the thing I liked best was the absolute pandemonium from each crowd at the moment of totality, seen as the coverage moved east . Several TV commentators onsite suggested the crowd would go 'insane' which is an overstatement; in my opinion (having done something similar once upon a time) it was the outpouring of a combination of joy, excitement, and pleasure. One female commentator pointed out that it was truly a shared moment for all who were there: unscripted,  no cheerleaders, no scoreboard messages, no nothing except the unbridled feelings of the people there. I liked that thought.

The something similar was the Transit of Venus in 2012. I was visiting my mother, who lived in Los Osos. I think I had the youngest with me (I used to take him to stay at Grandma's for a week or so during the summer). We decided to go to a place with a good view of the Pacific late in the day, the only time it would be visible from that location. We drove along the access road to a really beautiful state beach/park because it runs across higher ground most of the way giving good views to the west. Took forever to find an unoccupied spot on the shoulder to park the car; the road was almost parked solid by people with the same idea.

We were there maybe ten minutes before sunset, by which time the transit should be visible where we were. No way to tell. The usual marine layer overcast. We could see where the Sun was through the cloud cover, but just because of the dim glow. As the Sun got closer and closer to the horizon we could hear cars starting as people gave up and left. We were of the "It's not over 'til it's over" school. Wasn't even a question. Closer and closer it crept (and once the Sun actually comes in contact with the horizon it vanishes below it quickly). The clouds were unmoved. More people left. Then the overcast opened just enough to reveal a small band of visibility just above the horizon.

And there it was. Still obscured by a lot of airborne moisture but still a good view of the disc (which thanks to the fog we could look straight at) and there was the black disc of Venus, plain as day. I yelled, the youngest yelled, Mom might even have gotten louder than usual. All up and down the edge of the canyon where we were parked we could hear other people doing the same. We couldn't see anybody because the spot where we were was by then occupied solely by us. That had all the eclipse feelings plus maybe in our case a dash of self-congratulation for having stuck it out. I loved sharing that with all those unseen and unknown people.

• Like 4

I was popping around, gathering a few Teleport.Hub gifts, when I ended up in a store -- monaLISA -- that currently has 69 group gifts out (all ladies clothing and shoes).  Group cost is L$70 to join and while some of the gifts aren't really my style, I definitely got my L$70 worth.  So, my fellow female threadies, here's the taxi:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Capodorso/167/124/1891

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
Corrected the SLURL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I was popping around, gathering a few Teleport.Hub gifts, when I ended up in a store -- monaLISA -- that currently has 69 group gifts out (all ladies clothing and shoes).  Group cost is L$70 to join and while some of the gifts aren't really my style, I definitely got my L$70 worth.  So, my fellow female threadies, here's the taxi:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Black Sand Beaches/69/90/26

Not being able to resist a bargain, I took your taxi and ended up in a medieval RP sim. Apparently they didn't even have shopping back then! Did you send the wrong link? Searching in the MP and in world for monaLISA didn't yield any matches either...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sagadin said:

Not being able to resist a bargain, I took your taxi and ended up in a medieval RP sim. Apparently they didn't even have shopping back then! Did you send the wrong link? Searching in the MP and in world for monaLISA didn't yield any matches either...

Eeek - Maybe I copied the wrong LM SLURL from inventory -- I'll check it when I get home from work tonight.

ETA:  Here is the link from the Teleporthub.com page, which is how I got there:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Capodorso/167/124/1891

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Eeek - Maybe I copied the wrong LM SLURL from inventory -- I'll check it when I get home from work tonight.

ETA:  Here is the link from the Teleporthub.com page, which is how I got there:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Capodorso/167/124/1891

There is some nice stuff there, but... some of the shoes on the lucky boards as well as on the group gift rack are right foot only, like they are really demos. Is this a mistake or slight bit of deception? Not sure if I should write to the designer, since there ARE some great clothes and shoes there so I don't want to seem greedy or anything.

ETA: must be a mistake since I do not see those shoes out for sale in the store. And I always am happy to support the generous designers who indulge my bargain hunting, they know my weakness!

Edited by Sagadin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sagadin said:

There is some nice stuff there, but... some of the shoes on the lucky boards as well as on the group gift rack are right foot only, like they are really demos. Is this a mistake or slight bit of deception? Not sure if I should write to the designer, since there ARE some great clothes and shoes there so I don't want to seem greedy or anything.

ETA: must be a mistake since I do not see those shoes out for sale in the store. And I always am happy to support the generous designers who indulge my bargain hunting, they know my weakness!

I haven't worked my way through checking out all of the shoes yet.  I hit this store last night shortly before I had to log out, so most of it is waiting to be checked tonight.  Hopefully, the ones that are not a full proper set are not ones that I really liked and wanted.

Thanks for the update & warning on this.

• Like 1

So, I know they have rules around when we can and cannot mention specific stores in the forums and I can never figure those rules entirely out.  However, I do know that we get a bit of leeway in this thread, so...........

LADIES -- A few of you may have read some of the mumblings in another thread based on a comment by @Rhonda Huntress about mesh animated hair.  I found it and it is SUPER COOL - my L$ are draining away.  The hair is by eXxEsS and uses what they call their new 'Breeze' technology.  It really does make your hair move just a little bit -- like there is just a tiny little breeze blowing.  For the first one that I tried, there is only an increase of 288 CI over the non-Breeze version - not sure what other impact it may or may not have on the world (and don't really care). 

From my marketplace search, I found 74 of them - not sure if there are more at their inworld store or not - though I am headed there now.  I've not been in this much love with an SL product in a long time. 

Thank you Rhonda for the tip !!!!!!

• Like 4

Exile had some bento hair for FLF a couple of weeks ago that was really nice and subtle. Some bento hair I've tried, moved so much it creeped *me* out and we all know I'm one creepy neko!

Speaking of creepy, the Lovecraft festival has a really neat underwater hunt going on but it's definitely on the more challenging scale. The majority of the prizes are Cthulu-esque décor but it's all really nice and it's all free. There are a few shops that have gifts in their booths instead and some of those are 1L but again, really nice gifts.

eta: it ends on the 27th so there's still a few more days

Edited by Clover Jinx
date
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

Exile had some bento hair for FLF a couple of weeks ago that was really nice and subtle. Some bento hair I've tried, moved so much it creeped *me* out and we all know I'm one creepy neko!

Why am I just now finding out about this cool moving hair stuff?  One of my biggest "hates" with mesh hair is it is just stiff.  No matter how well made the hair is, if it has any length to it, it just looks.... ugh.

Though in my search, I did find some that call it Bento hair simply because they can rig it to more head bones so it will better deal with various head shape sliders.  Sometimes, names are so misleading.

And I just found this blog post about the Exile hair, from over 2 months ago - I'm apparently living in a cave
   https://magickthoughtssl.com/2017/06/09/bento-hair-i-thought-there-was-no-such-thing/

• Like 2

I found this video that shows that Lelutka had moving hair over a year ago - called Swish.  So, I'm wondering why there isn't more animated hair out there?  What are the downsides to either making it or wearing it?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I haven't worked my way through checking out all of the shoes yet.  I hit this store last night shortly before I had to log out, so most of it is waiting to be checked tonight.  Hopefully, the ones that are not a full proper set are not ones that I really liked and wanted.

Thanks for the update & warning on this.

UPDATE: I contacted the designer and she sent me the missing shoes. Must have been a glitch in uploading or something. Not sure if the problem is fixed inworld but she responded quickly. :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sagadin said:

UPDATE: I contacted the designer and she sent me the missing shoes. Must have been a glitch in uploading or something. Not sure if the problem is fixed inworld but she responded quickly. :) 

That's nice to know.  When I finish checking that stuff out (likely not till the weekend, sigh), when I get to that package I'll check the store first for an update before contacting the designer.

• Like 1

My head won't quit hurting this morning. =x.x=

There was some bento hair at Hair Fair by a new-to-me designer. I think I still have the demo, so if I get some time tonight (aka "remember") I'll post info about it.

I just need to say this out loud. I have over 900 flickr followers and 25 images have more than 50 faves. This is way more than I even dreamed of last year. Thank you everyone for letting me share this community with you.

Edited by Clover Jinx
lost internet for a bit
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I found this video that shows that Lelutka had moving hair over a year ago - called Swish.  So, I'm wondering why there isn't more animated hair out there?  What are the downsides to either making it or wearing it?

Though I haven't tried it yet, I believe the newer animated hair uses bento bones and animations. The hair shown in this video, some of which I do have, uses, I think, some flexi-prims with some kind of scripted llApplyImpulse() to make it move as if blown by a breeze. Flexis make for higher render complexity, use alpha textures with the inherent glitching, and also create some unavoidable incidental clipping. These are things that bento animated hair can overcome.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Well, I just found out that on Monday morning I have to be at the office by 5:30 AM. Ugh.  Dreading it already :(  It's just the one day but it will be 12 to 13 hours long. 

On the plus side, all that over time means Clover's gacha budget for September just got doubled :)

Booo!  err... Yay!... o.O

I'm so confused.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Well, I just found out that on Monday morning I have to be at the office by 5:30 AM. Ugh.  Dreading it already :(  It's just the one day but it will be 12 to 13 hours long. 

On the plus side, all that over time means Clover's gacha budget for September just got doubled :)

that's the thing my US colleagues hate me for :D

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Though I haven't tried it yet, I believe the newer animated hair uses bento bones and animations. The hair shown in this video, some of which I do have, uses, I think, some flexi-prims with some kind of scripted llApplyImpulse() to make it move as if blown by a breeze. Flexis make for higher render complexity, use alpha textures with the inherent glitching, and also create some unavoidable incidental clipping. These are things that bento animated hair can overcome.

Darn.  I hadn't checked it yet, but it was on my list for this weekend. I don't want it if it is doing all of that via Flexi stuff and lots of alphas.

As I read up on the Exile one(s), they are rigging a portion of the hair to a normally unused leg bone.  Not sure if animation scripts are involved there or not -- going to check those demos tonight.  Because of the rigging to the leg bone, apparently the hair movement won't work if you attach anything else that rigs to those bones - like the new bento horses.

The ExXeSs ones do have an animation script in them, though I have no clue if they are also using some rigging to odd body part, but I don't think so because the hair was moving while I was on a pose stand and not moving.

18 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

So now she gets a chance to benefit from your pain 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

My head won't quit hurting this morning. =x.x=

There was some bento hair at Hair Fair by a new-to-me designer. I think I still have the demo, so if I get some time tonight (aka "remember") I'll post info about it.

I just need to say this out loud. I have over 900 flickr followers and 25 images have more than 50 faves. This is way more than I even dreamed of last year. Thank you everyone for letting me share this community with you.

Sorry about your head. :(
But I love love love your Flickr page. :x

• Like 3