Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

Almost everything that broke Mon morning is still broke and now my production server is down so I cannot even continue trying to fix things

And the forums are darn near dead as well, so nothing here to amuse me.

I'll just try to shock a bit of life back into this thread

giphy.gif

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

What would be the coolest animal to scale up to the size of a horse?

A bacterium. I want to see a flagellum in operation with my naked eyes.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/artful-amoeba/bacterial-motors-come-in-a-dizzying-array-of-models/

55 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

How about scaled down to the size of a cat?

This is harder. I like the proportions of baby animals, many of which would already be the size of cats. As they grow, I lose interest. Adult pandas look and act like babies, so maybe that would work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Scaling is an interesting thing. The way we imagine it is not the way it works. The mass of a thing increases as the cube of it's "size". The strength of a thing increases as the square. This is why grease ants can carry away bits of Tostitos (their favorite food, as determined by my childhood experiments) ten times their size and I can't. Mass grows faster than strength. That's what limits the size of living creatures.

The scaling of motion works the same way. Doubling speed quadruples inertia and drag (drag is complicated, but that's about right). Your shrunken Orca would move very much like koi in a garden pond. Your elephant would freak you out with the rapid twitching of its trunk. My enlarged bacterium would collapse and burst like a giant water balloon long before it could spin its flagellum.

And this is the beauty of SL, a place in which the laws of physics may be cheerfully ignored.

Rhonda, would you mind scaling up your butterfly enough so that Iva can sit in the driver's saddle and take the rest of us on a busman's holiday?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This...

W-D44394.jpg?w=1600&h=1600&404=default

It's non-oily and so doesn't collect sawdust in the trunnions of my table saw. Nor does it stain wood passing over the top.

There is much to be said for this.  I was once told that WD-40 and Duct tape will handle everything.  If it moves and shouldn't, apply the tape.  If it should move and doesn't, use the lubricant.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

Seeing-this-giant-ant-scared-the-Hell-ou

Bill Rebane, the director of this gem...

...hosted a showing at the Milwaukee Film Festival a few years ago. Sitting in the front row, he endured groans from the audience for the final reward of a standing ovation. It doesn't get any betterworsebetterworsebetter than this. Much of the movie was filmed in Steven's Point, WI.

Wisconsin... it's not just America's Dairyland.

• Like 2

Somebody once trolled me, successfully rickroll’d me
I ain't the sharpest n00b in the thread…
I was typing kind of dumb WITH THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON ON.
I bet u thought this post was finally dead
well the memes start coming, and they dont stop coming
grabbing all the breadsticks, I’ll leave the shop running
didn’t make sense not to live for gun
your left side’s beef but your pizza none
So much to post so much to see so much John Cena on my live feed

• Like 1