Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

We don't do "team building" but we do have a few non-working events.  Things like a United Way hotdog lunch fund raiser, Super Bowl chili cookoff and a few other charity events.   I go to these because they are held during office hours.  There is also a company picnic and the obligatory Christmas party but I have yet to attend any of those.  Quite frankly I don't want the people I work with to be to familiar with what I do outside of working hours.

• Like 4

Well my first day at the RL new job went brilliantly. I think I've landed on my feet here. Already been invited to the company BBQ in an idyllic nearby picnic spot, and we get a massive fruit box delivery every week, so everyone gets free fruit whenever they feel like a snack.

And then, Skell's trying out "Bad Romance" dances at the very moment he finds out he's landed his first official modelling gig. Kind of apt, for him ;)

• Like 8

My observation that from the 1970's until now, many companies wanted the label "Team" or "Team Based" but didn't want to actually -do- teams because then you have to hire specific (expensive) workers who can function in that kind of environment :-) They want technical ability with social skills - and that costs $$$.

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

I could be wrong but I have a feeling there are a few geeks and nerds in here.

Let's see if this "would you rather" questions has any particular biases.

Would you rather never be able to use a touchscreen or never be able to use a keyboard and mouse?

I can live without a touchscreen. They actually annoy me,but I'm old and crotchety. 

• Like 4

I really hate it when rah-rah junior management types confuse slogans for leadership :-) 

They usually resist being trained out of that behavior, but enough "tell me how treating people like pre-schoolers helps us build a grown-up team?" Counseling sessions and they finally get the idea :-)

Demings Point #10

"Eliminate slogans, exhortations, and targets for the work force asking for zero defects and new levels of productivity. Such exhortations only create adversarial relationships, as the bulk of the causes of low quality and low productivity belong to the -system- and thus lie beyond the power of the work force."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Because I was up?  Jax had some bad dreams last night.  I was up talking with him around midnight to 1:00

[eta]
But I like Amanda's version better ;)

I have no acceptable excuse....I was up because I'm crazy enough to work those hours.....

giphy.gif

• Like 5

My husband has been getting close the magic number of age + years of experience for maximum retirement.  He wasn't sure if it was the end of this year or if it was next May on his official start date anniversary.  Anyway, I just got this from him.

"So...I called HR today to see what my options are?  Turns out I can retire today.  yesterday actually.  if I sit out a month I can earn my retirement in full PLUS what I make if I work part time.  Or sit out a year and I can rehire full time WITH my same pay.  I told them they better be VERY nice to me this year"

I know he really wants to retire and work contract for a few more years just to avoid the office politics and headaches.  When I retire I may do something else but I want an entirely different sort of headache.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Apparently I am being aunty again, only it is spelled with a c.

So ... new goal to not post tacky or spiteful posts and to encourage new posters at least once per week for the rest of the month.

I have seen nothing wrong with any of your posts.  Too many people just have sticks up their butt.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5