The VaNiTy ThReAd

Wilhiam Hydraconis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you so much, @Rhonda Huntress.  I wouldn't normally have chosen pink, but I must say that I love it. 

59658d2b2b2b6_20170711-RezdayGift(pantsuit).thumb.jpg.9a18ddf5a233270ae718439e4c94da69.jpg

Credits (because this is a fashion thread)
Clothing: Just BECAUSE - Fleurista Jumpsuit
Hair: Truth - Demeiza
Shoes: Legendaire - Ava

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 7

I bought the outfit. It turns out that you can copy and modify it just like what it says in the descriptions. It tells me that my avatar complexity is 89644 when I don't wear the cape. When I wear the cape, the avatar complexity is 38795. I have no idea what and how the avatar complexities affect people's computers.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/copymod-MG-Monsieur-Bonaparte-Captain-royal-elegant-cape/2855161

1hmash.thumb.jpg.8a48848e6ae89d3f77acb689b7f56f05.jpga.thumb.png.cfecc4edbf79cd0ca0d396698fbd241d.png

The outfit looks pretty good. It turns out that it looks better in game than what the pictures show.

Anyways, does anyone know any hairs that resemble this picture so I can buy a better hair?

napoleon_1813.jpg.27ce2ee1290e1deab1bc73e99c2fa27c.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

It tells me that my avatar complexity is 89644 when I don't wear the cape. When I wear the cape, the avatar complexity is 38795.

That will be because the cape replaces the epaulettes on your shoulders. Those look like they are alpha-layered, to give the effect of multiple gold threads, and alphas are more costly to render. If they're not alphas, but instead are individual threads, then that's even more costly to render. It's hard to tell from the pictures. The cape is a lot less render-intensive than the epaulettes, at any rate.

I have no idea what and how the avatar complexities affect people's computers.

Avatar complexity only affects your computer in that the higher the complexity of another avatar the more work your graphics card has to do in order to render them. Second Life has always been graphics-intensive (back in the day when I was inworld for hours and hours a day, every single day, I had to replace my gpu roughly every 1.5 - 2 years), but with the recent avatar complexity options in the viewer, Linden Lab gave residents a way to set a 'maximum complexity cap' at which other avatars would stop being rendered properly and instead would become solid coloured shapes, a bit like Jelly Baby sweets (hence the nickname they have, of 'jellydolls').

A good average complexity to aim for is 50,000. If you can get below 50,000 then that's even better. I'd say 100,000 is the very high end of what I'd be happy to wear. At that point, you won't be rendered by a lot of people on slower computers or those with weaker graphics cards, since they may have set their avatar complexity rendering cap lower than that.

At the end of the day (he says, sounding like a sports commentator) it's entirely up to the user what they wear, but they should realise that the higher their complexity, the more likely it will be that other people around them will only see them as a coloured blob. I have a powerful gaming computer and even I cap out maximum complexity at around 150,000* because I don't want to stress my gpu any more than is necessary.

*And when I go to busy events I either shove the complexity slider way down as far as it will go, or I derender all avatars except friends ;)

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 4

I bought the outfit. It turns out that you can copy and modify it just like what it says in the descriptions. It tells me that my avatar complexity is 89644 when I don't wear the cape. When I wear the cape, the avatar complexity is 38795. I have no idea what and how the avatar complexities affect people's computers.

With a complexity that high (89,644), I would never see the outfit.  I keep my complexity slider set anywhere from 25,000 to 80,000 depending on where I'm at.  Anyone with a higher complexity that my slider is set to will simply show to me as a colored blob.  I've no clue how low/high others keep their slider set, so I can't say how many will or won't actualy see your outfit.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

5 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I have a powerful gaming computer and even I cap out maximum complexity at around 150,000 because I don't want to stress my gpu any more than is necessary.

I cap mine around 80,000 unless I'm at a really busy event, and then I'll reduce it a lot.  I do so, primarily so that I can turn my other graphics settings way up to get a better scene. Unless I'm at an event w/ folks that I wish to see and interact with, I care more about a super looking scene than how people look.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I cap mine around 80,000 unless I'm at a really busy event, and then I'll reduce it a lot.  I do so, primarily so that I can turn my other graphics settings way up to get a better scene. Unless I'm at an event w/ folks that I wish to see and interact with, I care more about a super looking scene than how people look.

Yep. I just edited my post to add that - at busy events - I cap even lower (20,000 sometimes) and more often than not I'll switch on Firestorm's "Show Friends Only" option. That does, of course, mean I have to pay close attention to my minimap so I don't just cannon into people, but it helps the scene to render so much faster, especially since I'm already at a disadvantage due to longer transatlantic ping times.

Edited by Skell Dagger
I am teh typo today...
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

Yep. I just edited my post to add that - at busy events - I cap even lower (20,000 sometimes) and more often than not I'll switch on Firestorm's "Show Friends Only" option. That does, of course, mean I have to pay close attention to my minimap so I don't just cannon into people, but it helps the scene to render so much faster, especially since I'm already at a disadvantage due to longer Transatlantic ping times.

It was a comment by you or someone else here in the Forums that alerted me to the 'Friends Only' setting.  For events, that is the greatest ever - though I sometimes forget to put it back until I'm with someone and can't see them.  I've always been a mini-map person anyway, to avoid running over folks not yet rendered, so that wasn't a big change for me.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.