Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 73 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Bent Luik said:

I've been looking for 5 minutes now but i can't find the one that has the right side up.

All of the objects are actually right side up. The deeper the depression, the harder it is to see the thing upside down, so the three bowls in the lower left are more likely to break the illusion. If you scroll the image down off the bottom of your window and then bring it back, your brain might be fooled again. But indeed, once you see the plates as being right side up, it's hard to flip back.

The Einstein illusion is the same, on steroids. While we have general object recognition capabilities that use shadow information to determine surface orientation, we've got much more sophisticated face recognition abilities, because recognizing friend/foe and emotional state is crucial for survival. Once you feed the brain enough information to engage the face recognizer, you're going to see the tip of the nose as being the closer to you because that's how human faces are.

The McGurk effect is another cool illusion, engaging both visual and aural recognition. Like Einstein's face, knowing how it works doesn't give you immunity...

Happy Peek (into the mind) of the Week, Kids!!!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

image.png.b51ff3d69585ccf5d7b7301895ce09f3.pngimage.png.f15dd1afa6626603e9d199ed8e55a265.pngimage.png.b2bed651fb42b679925d599187f32503.png

Happy Friday, yay end of the week,  -17 below here this morning but at least the sun is out.  Thanks to Halo for the Lucy pic!  It immediately got me remembering watching Lucy reruns over aluminum foil TV dinners (yum).  After Ricky and Fred get upset about the girls' spending, Lucy and Ethel go to work in a candy factory while the boys do housework (below)image.png.2212394a1cebf31b700f609acb2393c8.png

Lucy and her best friend Ethel, played by Vivian Vance, try to prove that a job is easier than housework, so the couples “switch.” As the conveyor belt speeds up at the factory, however, mayhem ensues and the women resort to stuffing candy in their mouths and blouses (far right pic). The guys fare no better with housekeeping, burning clothes and turning the apartment into a general disaster zone.  Ahhhhhh 50's and 60's TV😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Good morning all.  I'm in training this afternoon and then all day Wed and Thu. I typically work 6:30 am to 3:00 pm, but the training classes go until 5:00-5:30 pm each day.  I'm going to die having to stay focused that late.

Depending on which job I'll be taking, I'll be in training soon myself. Anywhere from one week to eight weeks. 

I'm likely to take the one week as I have worked there before and I really, really don't want to be on the phone all day again. 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 73 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.