Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman

It's actually the Super Blood Wolf Moon!

wolf-moon-2019-380x214.jpg.0443264cb58c3a680298d484a38505b1.jpg

Blood moon, because total lunar eclipse, which makes the moon turn red.

Super moon, because it's at the closest point of approach to the earth, and appears larger than usual.

Wolf moon, because that's the traditional name for the first full moon of January.  So named because supposedly the wolves are hungry this far into winter, and tend to complain about it.

Totality will be around midnight Sunday night/Monday morning, east coast US time.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wolf moon, because that's the traditional name for the first full moon of January.  So named because supposedly the wolves are hungry this far into winter, and tend to complain about it.

Now I'm reminded of the 2017 total solar eclipse, the first I've ever seen. The sky darkened so quickly it spooked dogs in the area (I drove to Hopkinsville, TN) who started barking and howling. It looks to be partly cloudy tomorrow night. I hope to see the lunar eclipse. I hope you do too, Lindal.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jameson2001 said:

Thank goodness for the whimsical sayings of that great childhood poet Dr Seuss!

Every spring, there's the annual argument over whether Seuss' last book, "Oh The Places You'll Go", is an appropriate gift for graduates. It's said to be shallow, trite, and childish. Nevertheless, it hits the best seller list every year, because it's also irrationally optimistic!

Fortunately, 25 years earlier he wrote "I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew". It's both a hoot and a cautionary tale. If you're gonna give the gift of Seuss to a graduate, I recommend Solla Sollew.

• Like 3

I am not sure if I will be reprimanded and this post removed. However I am posting it nonetheless. I almost spit coffee all over my phone when I viewed it.   It's a video about the Japanese Fanny Flambeaux doll.  I did not know such a doll existed. This may be of special interest to you Maddy albeit you probably won't implement it in the same way the video shows. Well here goes. 

Peace!

Edited by Hippie Bowman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.png.3ad31aa115c7d7addbf44c574646e24a.png 

Give me Tampa Bay rain any day Hippie! (Except Hurricanes).    We are -7 below right now in central Minnesota with the low tonight -22.  The good news is that it warms to 15 above this weekend before plunging to -30 next week!  That is why we like this saying around these parts:

image.png.87e448ec86f1afcc92eb416a9faf9411.png  Happpppyyyyyy Thursssssday Allllllll brrrrrrrrr.

• Sad 2

image.png.3ad31aa115c7d7addbf44c574646e24a.png 

Give me Tampa Bay rain any day Hippie! (Except Hurricanes).    We are -7 below right now in central Minnesota with the low tonight -22.  The good news is that it warms to 15 above this weekend before plunging to -30 next week!  That is why we like this saying around these parts:

image.png.87e448ec86f1afcc92eb416a9faf9411.png  Happpppyyyyyy Thursssssday Allllllll brrrrrrrrr.

Edited by Jameson2001
Duplicate Post
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jameson2001 said:

We are -7 below right now in central Minnesota with the low tonight -22.  The good news is that it warms to 15 above this weekend before plunging to -30 next week! 

Some of us move to this end of the U.S. because we prefer the cold to those stifling mid-summer days when the cornfields are breathing water into tropical air.  The best I can say about that part of the year is that at least it's short. I'll take a -10 day in January over a 85 day in August any  time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Some of us move to this end of the U.S. because we prefer the cold to those stifling mid-summer days when the cornfields are breathing water into tropical air.  The best I can say about that part of the year is that at least it's short. I'll take a -10 day in January over a 85 day in August any  time.

Yep. It's always been possible for me to dress cozily for even the most frigid Wisconsin winter days. I've spent countless hours on toboggan hills or cross country ski trails in sub-zero weather. An 85 day in August is more challenging. There's a legal limit to how little clothing I can wear, and after two melanomas and vitiligo I don't want sun on my skin. I have the luxury of acres of woods and Lake Michigan to moderate things, but eventually even those aren't enough.

• Like 2

Hi, Newbie here. 

Looking to make some friends. Not sure how to go about it. I don't know if I can just post a simple "Hello World" in the Nearby chat box or if I need to do some amazing fly-by's to get attention. I think just a simple hi and fun conversation is always a good way to start. :-)! 

• Like 1